Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I believe the problem is that Hypatia_Alexandria has exhausted her charitable interpretation here. At this point, its often safer to assume she's insincere in her interactions.
    Yes, where I have actually taken the time to give an appropriate respectful response - she runs away like a scalded dog.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The only time I can think of "come in for" being used in American English is when an airplane "comes in for" a landing.

OK, thought of a few more .... "he comes in for a double cheeseburger every Monday morning".

"I'm gonna come in for a quick snack before going back to work".
      yeah, as a literal statement we do use it, but not as some sort of euphemism as it seems H_A was using it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

yeah, as a literal statement we do use it, but not as some sort of euphemism as it seems H_A was using it.
        My dictionary says:
        to receive blame or criticism

Right, that’s enough of this nonsense; as you were!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

My emphasis

Purely as a point of information.

The phrase "to come in for" as in to be subject to or eligible for something is not a euphemism. It is an idiom.

"It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

My emphasis

Purely as a point of information.

The phrase "to come in for" as in to be subject to or eligible for something is not a euphemism. It is an idiom.
            Regardless, it was part of very poor communication.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Regardless, it was part of very poor communication.
              Amusingly one or two you have alleged that, and yet when pressed to do so can offer no coherent explanation to explain, or indeed justify, the contention that what I wrote "was part of very poor communication."
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Amusingly one or two you have alleged that, and yet when pressed to do so can offer no coherent explanation to explain, or indeed justify, the contention that what I wrote "was part of very poor communication."
                You do that psycho crazy woman laughing emoji when you know you screwed up. It's who you are.

Comment

You do that psycho crazy woman laughing emoji when you know you screwed up. It's who you are.
                  This is part of your MO. You are incapable of actually supporting your contentions and so you resort to making even more uninformed and unsubstantiated comments. It is highly entertaining.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

This is part of your MO. You are incapable of actually supporting your contentions and so you resort to making even more uninformed and unsubstantiated comments. It is highly entertaining.
                    I actually did support my contentions, you dishonest little . But when I do, you ignore them, and go into your goofy cackling mode.

If that's entertaining, it speaks to what a stupid little low class you really are.

Comment

I actually did support my contentions
                      Not on this thread.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      , you dishonest little . But when I do, you ignore them, and go into your goofy cackling mode.
                      Which merely serves to illustrate my point.

When you cannot defend or justify your comments you go back to your default position of making abusive remarks.

And that is very amusing because it repeatedly demonstrates exactly what you [and others like you] are.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Not on this thread.
                        I believe it was, but who cares - I DID support my point.

Which merely serves to illustrate my point.
                        False.

When you cannot defend or justify your comments you go back to your default position of making abusive remarks.
                        When you're a , and say really stupid stuff, plan on being opposed.

And that is very amusing because it repeatedly demonstrates exactly what you [and others like you] are.
                        It's "amusing" because you're a , and not here at all for serious discussion.

Here's your MO.... (I don't have time to go into detail, but here are some highlights)
                        • You're constantly trying to sound smarter than you are.
                        • You constantly say things that get misunderstood, then turn that into a long back and forth with way more heat than light.
                        • When called out, you do that goofy crazy laughing emoji, and claim it's "highly entertaining".
                        • You start dumb threads exposing your profound ignorance on things like "Texas Bounty Hunters", and when you can't hold your own, you run like a scalded dog.
                        • You attack the nature and character of other posters, but when they push back, you cry about others making abusive remarks.

You're a

Comment

Did you perhaps notice the rest of the examples? My point stands and disputes your unspoken argument when you keep asking people what was "grammatically incorrect" about your statement.
                          Oh I have just found this.

Would you like to explain that highlighted section of your reply?

If my argument is "unspoken" how precisely do you consider you have succeeded in disputing it? Can you provide me with a breakdown of your method?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Oh I have just found this.

Would you like to explain that highlighted section of your reply?

If my argument is "unspoken" how precisely do you consider you have succeeded in disputing it? Can you provide me with a breakdown of your method?
                            One time.
                            I have asked two individuals who have complained about that sentence to tell me precisely what they consider to be grammatically incorrect in its composition and they have gone strangely silent. As indeed have you.
                            People challenged your statement. Your response was to ask them "what was grammatically incorrect about your statement." Not what was confusing, not anything like that, but instead, your ask was about grammar, ergo, your unspoken argument was that if it was grammatically correct, nothing could be confusing or ambiguous.

What I did was give you a list of confusing, yet grammatically correct statements.

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

However, as I have no faith in you putting forth an intellectually honest discussion, I will not go down this path farther with you.

Comment

I believe it was, but who cares - I DID support my point.
                              You can believe you have herds of blue unicorns grazing at every full moon outside your front door if you want to, but it does not prove that your belief is premised on reality.

False.
                              My remark was premised on what you wrote - you resorted to personal comments, which appears to be your default position.

When you're a , and say really stupid stuff, plan on being opposed

It's "amusing" because you're a , and not here at all for serious discussion.

Here's your MO.... (I don't have time to go into detail, but here are some highlights)
                              • You're constantly trying to sound smarter than you are.
                              • You constantly say things that get misunderstood, then turn that into a long back and forth with way more heat than light.
                              • When called out, you do that goofy crazy laughing emoji, and claim it's "highly entertaining".
                              • You start dumb threads exposing your profound ignorance on things like "Texas Bounty Hunters", and when you can't hold your own, you run like a scalded dog.
                              • You attack the nature and character of other posters, but when they push back, you cry about others making abusive remarks.

You're a
                              All of which is simply a litany of your personal resentment towards me and your animus towards anyone who comes to these boards and challenges or disagrees with you and those who think as you do.

I really think you should take my previous advice and speak to the owners and other moderators about making this site private.

You could then all correspond with one another in a secure little online echo chamber and have no unpleasant intrusions from those who might express views that did not coincide with your [collective] own.

"It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

One time.

People challenged your statement. Your response was to ask them "what was grammatically incorrect about your statement." Not what was confusing, not anything like that, but instead, your ask was about grammar, ergo, your unspoken argument was that if it was grammatically correct, nothing could be confusing or ambiguous.

What I did was give you a list of confusing, yet grammatically correct statements.

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

However, as I have no faith in you putting forth an intellectually honest discussion, I will not go down this path farther with you.
                                Regretfully you have still failed to demonstrate how you have succeeded in disputing this "unspoken" argument of mine.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment