Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Gaslighting again?

In Lieu of engaging with someone who is not going to be intellectually honest in their debate, I instead offer the following. May you find it more tasteful than discord.

Butterscotch Pie

Ingredients
    Dough for single-crust pie
    6 tablespoons butter
    6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    2 cups whole milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 large egg yolks, room temperature, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    MERINGUE:
    3 large egg whites, room temperature
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/2 cup sugar

Directions
    1. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
    2. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edge is light golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
    3. In a saucepan, melt butter. Remove from the heat; add flour and stir until smooth. Stir in brown sugar. Return to heat; stir in milk and salt until blended. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir about 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Pour into crust.
    4. For meringue, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a small bowl on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edge to crust.
    5. Bake until meringue is golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

Nutrition Facts
    1 piece: 487 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
    Mmm, that looks like an easy one to veganize. Plant milk swap for the milk, vegan butter for the butter, flax egg or egg replacer for the egg inside, and aquafaba for the egg whites to get that same peak texture when beaten.

Gonna have to try it.
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 10-13-2021, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, I left out a LOT of stuff..... if she were sincere about communicating, she's smart enough (I'd hope) to simply say, "let me rephrase that".
      That is what I and nearly everyone else does when someone has difficulty understanding something. You just naturally seek to explain or reword it until it becomes clearer.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        That is what I and nearly everyone else does when someone has difficulty understanding something. You just naturally seek to explain or reword it until it becomes clearer.
        Because you're more interested in communicating than ing.

I've seen you and other people say something like "OK, I could have worded that better", or "that didn't come out like I meant it", then rephrase. I've said those same things.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Are you REALLY that DENSE?????

Intelligent and civil discourse...
          Writer: (makes statement)
          Reader: "I didn't understand"
          Writer: "OK, let me put it another way...."
          Which is precisely what I did.

Go back to page 2 and read the comment made by rogue06 at post 27 and then read my reply at post 29.

However, when at post 31 [page 3] rogue06 made the allegation that I had "implied that Americans are easy prey for crackpot archaeological ideas when in fact it is nothing unique to any area." He was alleging I had written something which I had not, given that I have never mentioned "Americans."
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Because you're more interested in communicating than ing.
            On this thread? I ain't so sure.
            Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 10-13-2021, 11:16 AM.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

On this thread? I ain't so sure.
              Generally. When you turn something into a er's kerfuffle, all bets are off.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which is precisely what I did.

Go back to page 2 and read the comment made by rogue06 at post 27 and then read my reply at post 29.

However, when at post 31 [page 3] rogue06 made the allegation that I had "implied that Americans are easy prey for crackpot archaeological ideas when in fact it is nothing unique to any area." He was alleging I had written something which I had not, given that I have never mentioned "Americans."
                Do you care to reflect on your behavior towards Gond's "Single Biggest Factor" comment?

Comment

Generally. When you turn something into a er's kerfuffle, all bets are off.
                  I didn't turn anything into a "kerfuffle". Your "buddy" alleged that I had written something I had not, and after I had already clarified for him as to what my original comment pertained.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Do you care to reflect on your behavior towards Gond's "Single Biggest Factor" comment?
                    He never clarified what he meant, despite repeated requests to do so.

I did at post #29.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I did at post #29.
                      He did, as did many other posters did. You complained we were reading his mind.

Comment

I didn't turn anything into a "kerfuffle". Your "buddy" alleged that I had written something I had not, and after I had already clarified for him as to what my original comment pertained.
                        You turned things into a kerfuffle starting back in post 18

Comment

I did at post #29.
                          False. I clarified it as did numerous other posters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

False. I clarified it as did numerous other posters.
                            Other posters are not in the position to tell me what you intended.

I offered suggestions as to what you might have intended and speculated on those suggestions. All you did was imply my comprehension skills and/or my mental faculties were in some way lacking. and repeated your assertion rather like a mantra.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

You turned things into a kerfuffle starting back in post 18
                              I asked a perfectly reasonable question at post 18.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Other posters are not in the position to tell me what you intended.
                                yes, they are. Just like one poster here told us what you mean by "come in for" long before you lazily attemptedbto clarify.

I offered suggestions as to what you might have intended and speculated on those suggestions. All you did was imply my comprehension skills and/or my mental faculties were in some way lacking. and repeated your assertion rather like a mantra.
                                You offered many false dichotomies, yes. But myself and others had already explained it and even linked to evidence showing it (my link even used the same freaking phrase!) So spare us the bs

Comment