Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Destroying the Electoral College: The Anti-Federalist National Popular Vote Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    No. It's because you're ignorant and lazy.
    Shh, now he won't google those two countries I posted "randomly" :P

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
      Interesting,

So, how do, to pick completely at random, Mexico and South Korea choose their president?
      tarp-30198.jpg
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]19779[/ATTACH]
        Hah, I like it. (Incidentally, Ta-Nehisi Coates is currently writing for Marvel comics so if you like that book, check out his Black Panther run when the first TPB comes out)

Comment

Hah, I like it. (Incidentally, Ta-Nehisi Coates is currently writing for Marvel comics so if you like that book, check out his Black Panther run when the first TPB comes out)
          I might check it out once I'm done with the book. I'm enjoying the book--he writes prose like poetry. It's like a non-fiction "Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao." I'm not sure where he ends up yet (don't spoil it) but it's interesting to see where is thought process goes.
          Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            No. It's because you're ignorant and lazy.
            So I am, thanks!
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I might check it out once I'm done with the book. I'm enjoying the book--he writes prose like poetry. It's like a non-fiction "Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao." I'm not sure where he ends up yet (don't spoil it) but it's interesting to see where is thought process goes.
              I haven't read this book of his yet, just recognized the name. I have a massive backlog to get through now that the election is over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                So I am, thanks!
                Hey now, if you're going to admit to being wrong on the internet at least reply to the first person to suggest so ;)

Comment

I haven't read this book of his yet, just recognized the name. I have a massive backlog to get through now that the election is over.
                  Yer gonna love it. Move it up on the list. Then read Hillbilly Elegy.
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

Yer gonna love it. Move it up on the list. Then read Hillbilly Elegy.
                    I'm actually tempted to read that one first. I've been working on how to explain the weird results of this election and how to reach out to people like that that I don't have much in common with as a lower middle class west coaster. I just read the NYT book review piece on Elegy and I'm probably going to buy it tomorrow and, hopefully, it will go into my personal library for people who want to understand politics in America. Michegan, Wisconsis and Pennsylvania decided the election with a little over 100k votes (source) and I really want to understand more about how Trump was able to galvanize the White Working Class as a billionaire who routinely doesn't pay his contractors, even those 3 little girls who sang that godawful song.

If I could offer a suggestion of my own, a short read even, Alain de Bottons The News: A Users Manual is a great read and as a collection of essays is great for short bursts of reading, kind of like reading one of the smaller bits of non-fiction that CS Lewis wrote. The section about why people care a lot about a flood in random parts of America, but don't tend to care much when it happens in Indonesia was really eye opening for me.

Comment

I'm actually tempted to read that one first. I've been working on how to explain the weird results of this election and how to reach out to people like that that I don't have much in common with as a lower middle class west coaster. I just read the NYT book review piece on Elegy and I'm probably going to buy it tomorrow and, hopefully, it will go into my personal library for people who want to understand politics in America. Michegan, Wisconsis and Pennsylvania decided the election with a little over 100k votes (source) and I really want to understand more about how Trump was able to galvanize the White Working Class as a billionaire who routinely doesn't pay his contractors, even those 3 little girls who sang that godawful song.

If I could offer a suggestion of my own, a short read even, Alain de Bottons The News: A Users Manual is a great read and as a collection of essays is great for short bursts of reading, kind of like reading one of the smaller bits of non-fiction that CS Lewis wrote. The section about why people care a lot about a flood in random parts of America, but don't tend to care much when it happens in Indonesia was really eye opening for me.
                      I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Hey now, if you're going to admit to being wrong on the internet at least reply to the first person to suggest so ;)
                        Sorry, you were too subtle.
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          Sorry, you were too subtle.
                          Sorry, I thought "oh, really, what about these two, surely random, countries? Educate me" was pretty blatant about how pretty much all the non-parliamentery (who, of course, have a way of making PM much like the original American way) do it by NPV because few non-parliamentary countries, if any, have an electoral college analog

Comment

Sorry, I thought "oh, really, what about these two, surely random, countries? Educate me" was pretty blatant about how pretty much all the non-parliamentery (who, of course, have a way of making PM much like the original American way) do it by NPV because few non-parliamentary countries, if any, have an electoral college analog
                            Ok, I like Roy better...happy now?

Comment