Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

New York Times publisher vows to 'rededicate' paper to reporting honestly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Times publisher vows to 'rededicate' paper to reporting honestly

New York Times publisher vows to 'rededicate' paper to reporting honestly

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I'll believe it when I see it they didn't the last time they said they would.

Comment

Newspapers admitting to bias in election coverage?

First it was The Daily Commercial, which since 1875 has been a central Florida newspaper serving Lake and Sumter counties that admitted (they called it a "mea culpa") that their news coverage of the 2016 presidential race, as well as the rest of the MSM's, had been biased against Trump: http://www.dailycommercial.com/news/...ction-and-bias

But now, the New York Times has published its own mea culpa in the form of a letter from its publisher Arthur O. Sulzberger Jr. and executive editor Dean Baquet saying that the paper was going to try to start reporting the news honestly again after the election.

Source: New York Times publisher vows to 'rededicate' paper to reporting honestly

Source

[*The story continues at the link above*]

© Copyright Original Source

But reading the letter it sounded more like excuse making than any sort of admission that they did a poor job reporting on the election:

0000000000000hw.jpg
      Clickify on the imagification above and then clickify on the resulting imagification to enbiggen

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't know why anyone would expect publishers to be any less biased than anyone else. I expect them to be more biased.
        אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          I don't know why anyone would expect publishers to be any less biased than anyone else. I expect them to be more biased.
          It isn't about the personal bias of publishers but bias in the reporting.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It isn't about the personal bias of publishers but bias in the reporting.
            Why assume that there would be a difference. Publishers employ reporters.

Comment

Why assume that there would be a difference. Publishers employ reporters.
              They pretend that they're just reporting the news -- the facts. They're supposed to leave opinions to the editorials (that is the purpose of that section).

But you seem to be saying that we should not expect the New York Times to keep its word when it says they will strive to be more honest in their reporting. I tend to agree

Comment

They pretend that they're just reporting the news -- the facts. They're supposed to leave opinions to the editorials (that is the purpose of that section)
                If you say 'pretend' then you are already conceding my point.

Comment

If you say 'pretend' then you are already conceding my point.
                  Oh I wholly agree that they don't report the news fairly or accurately but instead blatantly insert their opinion and biases into it.

Comment

... But you seem to be saying that we should not expect the New York Times to keep its word when it says they will strive to be more honest in their reporting. I tend to agree
                    I expect them to strive for this but I don't expect them to succeed at this any more than I expect Fox News to succeed.

Comment

I expect them to strive for this but I don't expect them to succeed at this any more than I expect Fox News to succeed.
                      It's not so much that they're unbiased or not but that they maintain the belief they're unbiased by their audience. The problem is that their credibly was already shot before this, especially CNN, the biggest culprit in all this. This just underscored what most people already knew, which is what undoubtedly made this public confessional necessary. Too little, too late I believe.
                      Last edited by seanD; 11-12-2016, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Oh I wholly agree that they don't report the news fairly or accurately but instead blatantly insert their opinion and biases into it.
                        Do you believe that Fox News or Breitbart is any different?

Comment

Do you believe that Fox News or Breitbart is any different?
                          Personally, I try to avoid Breitbart as a source unless I see the same event or story covered elsewhere. I know that some of the liberals here discount a story - whether true or not - simply because Breitbart presented it.

As for Fox News - I don't watch it that much, but if it didn't exist, the liberal media would be getting away with all kinds of nonsense. Many of the stories carried in the liberal media are totally ignored until they get enough coverage on Fox News.

Something else that I have seen from time to time on Fox News is their people speaking openly of Christianity, and professing Christ, and praying, and stuff like that. So, yeah, in that sense, they're way different.

I think the reason for the success of Fox News is because people didn't believe they were getting the truth from the liberal media, and the bias was just outrageous.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Moderated By: rogue06

It probably should be noted that two threads have been combined since they covered the same topic

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Comment

Isnt the NYT lao tzu's go to rag? He kept citing it all of last summer. Wonder what he thinks now? Where is he anyway?

Comment