Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I am surprised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

They have the same exact proof as you have. Their interpretation of the Bible. I didn't dodge anything, you just don't like the answer.
    You've refused to identify "they" so we can address their claims.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

You've refused to identify "they" so we can address their claims.
      Every other Christian denominations that differs in view with you and considers you a heretic just like you consider them heretics. How is this hard to follow?

Comment

Every other Christian denominations that differs in view with you and considers you a heretic just like you consider them heretics. How is this hard to follow?
        I don't know many Southern Baptists who believe that Methodists or Lutherans are heretics. Now, Mormons? That's a horse of a different color.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Philip F Esler. Identity Matters: Judean Ethnic Identity In The First Century CE.

1/ The key issue is to get right the identity of the people referred to in our sources as Ioudaioi (in Greek) or Judaei (in Latin). Rather than seeing them as “Jews” who were adherents of the religion “Judaism,” they are, in my view, best viewed as the members of an ethnic group originating in Judea most appropriately called “Judeans.”

2/ To translate Ioudaios as “Jew” or “Jewish” means giving them a name of a sort that is unique for first-century ethnic groups. Such exceptionalism rests uncomfortably with a desire for historical accuracy which, since identity matters, must entail doing justice to the sense of self possessed by the ancient peoples we are investigating. It is no defense to this to assert that “Jew” or “Jewish” today cover a wide range of aspects of identity since those words lack the explicit territorial connection that typified the names of all ethnic groups in the first century CE.

3/ It is also better to speak of Jesus as a “Judean” and not a “Jew.”

1/ So - ιουδαιος could not identify a person as "Jewish" by its contemporary definition. The term encompassed Samaritans and Galileans, or anyone with ancestral roots in Judaea.
          2/ The current definition of "Jew" is misleading when applied to 1st century writings.
          3/ ?? Jesus was of the tribe of Judah.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Again, which ones? Who considers me a heretic? And what you call a "denomination" isn't how we define denomination.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

They have the same exact proof as you have. Their interpretation of the Bible. I didn't dodge anything, you just don't like the answer.
              Remember the notion of "true" Christians! All the rest are heretics!
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Again, which ones? Who considers me a heretic?
                The ones you pompously declared heretics.

And what you call a "denomination" isn't how we define denomination.
                It most certainly is, son.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I don't know many Southern Baptists who believe that Methodists or Lutherans are heretics. Now, Mormons? That's a horse of a different color.
                  Heck we even accept [*looks both ways to see who might be listening*] smiley whisper-secret.gifEpiscopalians as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Apologies to any Episcopalians for any offence given

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Because it doesn't mean he wasn't a Jew.
                    And I have acknowledged that possibility in previous exchanges with you on this matter and also earlier in this thread.

He may have been a Jew but he never uses the word Ἰουδαῖος to describe himself. He does use other broader phrases and terms. You also have bear in mind the history of the region and certainly from the second century BCE.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      And I have acknowledged that possibility in previous exchanges with you on this matter and also earlier in this thread.

He may have been a Jew but he never uses the word Ἰουδαῖος to describe himself. He does use other broader phrases and terms. You also have bear in mind the history of the region and certainly from the second century BCE.
                      And since neither Christ nor an of the other Apostles seem to have explicitly referred to themselves as being a Jew or Jewish, this means that it is likely none of them were Jewish

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The ones you pompously declared heretics.
                        You mean like the polytheistic Mormons? Or the "Jesus is just an angel" Jehovah's Witnesses? Again, they have ZERO backing from the early church for their heresies.

It most certainly is, son.
                        Then give the definition WITH EXAMPLES if you are so confident. And I'm not your son.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Heck we even accept [*looks both ways to see who might be listening*] smiley whisper-secret.gifEpiscopalians as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Apologies to any Episcopalians for any offence given
                          I don't consider them heretics - I just consider them part of the "sick, the afflicted and the backslid" crowd.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Maybe the fact that he wasn't from Judaea had something to do with that.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              And since neither Christ nor an of the other Apostles seem to have explicitly referred to themselves as being a Jew or Jewish, this means that it is likely none of them were Jewish
                              That's probably because Jesus and the apostles were Southern Baptists.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Your point has no meaning. What do you hope to gain by pointing out he never actually wrote the words "I am a Jew?"

It is obvious that he was one.

You can't use something someone didn't say to claim that it means that what they didn't say is true about them. That is an argument from silence. You need positive evidence to make such a claim, such as Paul claiming to NOT be a Jew. Otherwise your argument is meaningless. He didn't deny being a Jew either, so by that I could claim it means he was a Jew.

Your argument is like you claiming Paul had no legs because he never specifically mentioned having them.

Comment