Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden and the 25th Amendment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
    Even if you consider them politicians, McCabe and "his cohorts" weren't publicly calling for the invocation of the 25th amendment.

I suppose that's possible, but I haven't found evidence of it.

Yes, they did, late in 2019.

Actually, what I would like to see is something that would have been in the news before Cilliza did his video in February 2019, that would justify criticizing him for not mentioning it.
    In 2017, one ambitious politician, hearing the calls from liberals about the 25th amendment, decided to push a bill setting up a committee for invoking the 25th. It got 50 Co-sponsors,

https://raskin.house.gov/2017/12/rep...-50-cosponsors

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

In 2017, one ambitious politician, hearing the calls from liberals about the 25th amendment, decided to push a bill setting up a committee for invoking the 25th. It got 50 Co-sponsors,

https://raskin.house.gov/2017/12/rep...-50-cosponsors
      That's a lot closer, given that it was in 2017, and did involve some politicians. But they weren't calling for the invocation of the 25th amendment. They were proposing that it not be the president's cabinet that decides whether he is incapable of presidenting, but rather a body created by congress, as allowed by the 25th amendment.

You can argue that the fact that they came up with such legislation implies that they thought it should be used, but maybe they thought it was just likely to be used.

In any case, I don't see how it's a failure on Cillizza's part that he didn't condemn it in 2019 when he did his video.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

That's a lot closer, given that it was in 2017, and did involve some politicians. But they weren't calling for the invocation of the 25th amendment. They were proposing that it not be the president's cabinet that decides whether he is incapable of presidenting, but rather a body created by congress, as allowed by the 25th amendment.

You can argue that the fact that they came up with such legislation implies that they thought it should be used, but maybe they thought it was just likely to be used.

In any case, I don't see how it's a failure on Cillizza's part that he didn't condemn it in 2019 when he did his video.
        Yes....your right. It came out of the blue...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          The 25th Amendment presents a high bar only if the sitting president is not clearly incapacitated in some fashion and unfit to serve. Otherwise, it presents an obvious, and I think uncontroversial, course of action.

Here's the acid test: if the vice president and cabinet vote to remove the president, he can be immediately reinstated by submitting a letter to Congress declaring his fitness to serve, at which point it would require a 2/3 vote in Congress to remove him. But is Joe capable of drafting such a letter? I'm not certain he is
          I'm not sure they could get the requisite 2/3 even if all Senile Joe could manage is a hand-printed letter with "I still ok be Prez" in big block crayon letters.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Yes....your right. It came out of the blue...
            And it " did involve some politicians." You know, just 50 co-sponsors. But how can you consider that as sufficient?

It's like some people did something on 9/11.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So, like the democrats and liberals talked about under Trump. Republicans are now bringing up the idea of using the 25th Amendment to remove Biden from office.

CNN has suddenly found talk of using the 25th amendment to be outrageous.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/17/politics/rick-scott-joe-biden-25th-amendment/index.html

The reason is simple: It's a REALLY high bar for the vice president and a majority of the presidential Cabinet to decide as a group that the president -- aka the person who chose them for their jobs -- had lost the ability to do his own job. That was, of course, on purpose. The overturning of the will of the people -- as expressed through a presidential election -- by a small group of government bureaucrats should be something that is used only in absolutely extreme circumstances.
              These are not those circumstances. Not even close.
              Rick Scott is no dummy. He knows this.What he's doing is simple: He's an ambitious politician -- Scott is mentioned as a potential 2024 presidential candidate -- who wants to throw some red meat to the base. He knows that by tossing out the outlandish idea of invoking the 25th Amendment against Biden, he will get attention -- and kudos -- from those most closely aligned with the former president.
              The problem? Words have consequences. When a sitting US senator throws out the idea of removing the president of the United States because a foreign policy decision has not gone according to plan, he degrades the seriousness of such as move. And for what? To score some cheap political points?

© Copyright Original Source

In 2019, he produced the following video...it was a lot less judgy, instead it was just explanatory.

Folks have a short memory...

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said during a press conference on Friday that Rep. Jamie Raskin’s (D-MD) legislation to remove presidents for incapacity using the 25th Amendment is “not about President Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                And it " did involve some politicians." You know, just 50 co-sponsors. But how can you consider that as sufficient?
                It would be perfectly sufficient if it involved ANY politicians publicly calling on Pence and the cabinet to invoke the 25th amendment, before Cilliza's video.

Comment

Take it the other direction - is Harris failing in her duty by NOT invoking the 25th?

And frankly, it's to the point of elder abuse - Biden clearly isn't in full possession of his faculties and they keep shoving him in front of cameras. He can't do the job - that much is obvious - and forcing a senile person into a high stress situation is only making his decline much worse.

Invoking the 25th is now the only merciful thing to do - that or firing his entire staff and letting him resign.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

We need to think of Kamala Harris as not only impeachment insurance, but also 25th-amendment insurance.
                    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Take it the other direction - is Harris failing in her duty by NOT invoking the 25th?

And frankly, it's to the point of elder abuse - Biden clearly isn't in full possession of his faculties and they keep shoving him in front of cameras. He can't do the job - that much is obvious - and forcing a senile person into a high stress situation is only making his decline much worse.

Invoking the 25th is now the only merciful thing to do - that or firing his entire staff and letting him resign.
                      I think letting the VP and cabinet make that decision is the right thing to do. (And I thought so when Trump was president, too.)

Comment

Maybe it's time for them to revisit the 2020 election and find that Trump actually did win, and replace the entire administration

Comment