Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

North Carolina County Doing Door To Door Vaccinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Obviously it was voluntary.

But my point was this doesn't seem to work in the context of covid passports (which is DEFINITELY a thing coming). How can they prove you never got the one-time vax when everything is so disorderly and disorganized? This is why I believe this will be an annual thing. When passports come out, you'll have little choice but to submit to an annual jab without being ostracized.
    I assume they would get some form of ID from whomever they were injecting, probably an insurance card if they had one. they have to track who gets the injections in order to get reimbursed and comply with the CDC.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I work in a small skyscraper, about 35 floors of offices. The building's janitor was this older fella that would just talk to anyone. And he remembered EVERYONE'S name that he met. I was talking to him and he would greet people passing us by name and I asked him, if he knew everyone in the building by name, he laughed and said, "not yet. but today I added one more!" referring to me. From that day forward every time he saw me he would greet me by name. Unfortunately, a few years ago, the building changed management and they let him go. EVERYONE was upset about it. But nothing was done. :-(

I am lucky to remember someone's name a minute after they tell me.
      I've had to practice --- by asking them to repeat their name, then using it in conversation, then making a note that I spoke to John or Bob or Dave or whoever. Sometimes, I'll ask them to spell it....

Hi Cathy, I'm Cow Poke - is it Cathy with a C or a K? Or, is it like Catherine, or is your name actually Cathy? Just some things for my brain to get it lodged a little deeper. Then, "well, thanks, Cathy - it was nice to meet you..."

Or I'll try some kind of association --- "My baby sister's name is Kathy - she's a baker, as in baking cakes" - and just spend a little time talking about the name.

But, yeah, it's hard, especially when everybody knows your name, so they expect you to know theirs.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I've had to practice --- by asking them to repeat their name, then using it in conversation, then making a note that I spoke to John or Bob or Dave or whoever. Sometimes, I'll ask them to spell it....

Hi Cathy, I'm Cow Poke - is it Cathy with a C or a K? Or, is it like Catherine, or is your name actually Cathy? Just some things for my brain to get it lodged a little deeper. Then, "well, thanks, Cathy - it was nice to meet you..."

Or I'll try some kind of association --- "My baby sister's name is Kathy - she's a baker, as in baking cakes" - and just spend a little time talking about the name.

But, yeah, it's hard, especially when everybody knows your name, so they expect you to know theirs.
        When I worked as church secretary, part of my job was to greet new people and then send them a letter of welcome later. One day it was really noisy and I didn't catch the last name of the lady I was talking to, so I asked her to spell it for me.

I was a bit chagrined when she replied,"B...o...o...k".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

OK, time for the memory joke....

Bob and his wife ran into some friends at Walmart, and the two men got to talking and the women got to talking. The other man asked Bob, "where have you guys been, we missed you at Church the last few weeks!"

Bob said, "Oh, we went on this cruise, where they taught memorization, cause I'm getting older and need to work on that".
          Dave said, "Wow, how was it?"
          Bob, "It was great, they taught us memory by association, imagination, repetition.... all kinds of methods, but the memory by association was best".
          Dave - "Wow, what's the name of this course?"
          Bob, "OK, um... lemme see... what's the name of the flower that's got a long green stem, with thorns, and it's red..."
          Dave "you mean a Rose?"
          Bob - "Yeah, a Rose!"

Bob turns to his wife and said, "Hey, Rose, what's the name of that memory course we took?"
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

When I worked as church secretary, part of my job was to greet new people and then send them a letter of welcome later. One day it was really noisy and I didn't catch the last name of the lady I was talking to, so I asked her to spell it for me.

Yeah, I did that once with a "Smith".

I recovered by saying - "just wanted to make sure it wasn't with an 'e' on the end".

Comment

Yeah, I did that once with a "Smith".

I recovered by saying - "just wanted to make sure it wasn't with an 'e' on the end".
              So glad I'm not the only one! I just blamed it on old age. And that was about 30 years ago!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So glad I'm not the only one! I just blamed it on old age. And that was about 30 years ago!

The easiest one for me to remember was a lady by the name of Zella Pillow. She was about 95 years old when I met her, and always wore a hat to Church that looked like --- you got it --- a pillow!

She was precious -- on her 100th Birthday, we had "Ms Zella Pillow Sunday", where we sang her favorite hymns, I preached her favorite Bible verse, I led her up to the piano where she played her favorite hymn (very shaky at first and unrecognizable, but then she really got with it).

That morning, I stopped by her house to pick her up for her special day. She welcome me in, and told me she was looking for her purse. I pointed to it over on her recliner, and she collected it, laying down her jacket. Then she said she lost her jacket, and I pointed to it, and she set her purse down and collected her jacket.....

After gathering all her things, I walked her out to my car, helped her get in, and as we were BACKING OUT THE DRIVEWAY, she looked at me and smiled and said, "now, who are you, again?"

I said, "Ms, Pillow, I'm your Pastor", and she said, "Oh, yes, I knew that!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I assume they would get some form of ID from whomever they were injecting, probably an insurance card if they had one. they have to track who gets the injections in order to get reimbursed and comply with the CDC.
                  That would be an assumption alright.

Would they have quotas? Do you think these volunteers will be competent enough to collect, store, and keep track of all this information? What if I tell them I got a jab from military dudes in a 711 but lost my verification card, how could they verify whether it was true or not?

Comment

The easiest one for me to remember was a lady by the name of Zella Pillow. She was about 95 years old when I met her, and always wore a hat to Church that looked like --- you got it --- a pillow!

She was precious -- on her 100th Birthday, we had "Ms Zella Pillow Sunday", where we sang her favorite hymns, I preached her favorite Bible verse, I led her up to the piano where she played her favorite hymn (very shaky at first and unrecognizable, but then she really got with it).

That morning, I stopped by her house to pick her up for her special day. She welcome me in, and told me she was looking for her purse. I pointed to it over on her recliner, and she collected it, laying down her jacket. Then she said she lost her jacket, and I pointed to it, and she set her purse down and collected her jacket.....

After gathering all her things, I walked her out to my car, helped her get in, and as we were BACKING OUT THE DRIVEWAY, she looked at me and smiled and said, "now, who are you, again?"

I said, "Ms, Pillow, I'm your Pastor", and she said, "Oh, yes, I knew that!!!"
                    Oh, how I love your stories!

Comment

Oh, how I love your stories!
                      We were building a new fellowship hall, and on her actual 100th birthday (The Sunday was the day after) she helped us with the ground-breaking - I have a picture of her with me holding a shovel as we turned over the first dig.

About a week before she passed (peacefully in her sleep in a hospital where she had only been for a few days with a common cold) she was there for the dedication of the new building.

Did I tell you about the birthday cards we gathered for her? OH, how I wish I knew you then, and could give her some of your creations!

Comment

We were building a new fellowship hall, and on her actual 100th birthday (The Sunday was the day after) she helped us with the ground-breaking - I have a picture of her with me holding a shovel as we turned over the first dig.

About a week before she passed (peacefully in her sleep in a hospital where she had only been for a few days with a common cold) she was there for the dedication of the new building.

Did I tell you about the birthday cards we gathered for her? OH, how I wish I knew you then, and could give her some of your creations!
                        She sounds like a wonderful woman, and she obviously loved her church. I wish I knew you long ago, too! And not just for the cards!

Comment

She sounds like a wonderful woman, and she obviously loved her church. I wish I knew you long ago, too! And not just for the cards!
                          OK, so just in case -- the cards.

And, mind you, this was WAY before the inernetz web was so common.

We decided to see how many birthday cards we could collect for her. We called friends, sent letters, printed reminders, posted messages at local stores...
                          Just letting people know that we had a dear lady who was about to be 100 years old, and we would love to give her a large basket of Birthday Cards.

Lo and behold, on her birthday, we had well over FOUR HUNDRED CARDS, and they were still coming in, some as far away as Scotland and Germany and Poland.
                          (we had sent this info to our missionaries, and many of them participated)

When she passed, her nephew called me to come over to her house. He pointed to her recliner, and to the basket of unopened birthday cards beside it.
                          He said that "every day, she would open ONE card in the morning, and ONE card in the evening".

She had only gotten about halfway through the basket, but he said it gave her something to look forward to every day, twice a day.

(I gave the family the Church's blessings to open the rest of her cards for her)

By the way, this nephew was a vascular surgeon who told me he was always working Sundays, and hadn't found a Church to join.
                          He asked if he could tithe to our Church, and I told him that would be fine.

His "catch up" tithe check was almost our entire annual budget.

Comment

OK, so just in case -- the cards.

And, mind you, this was WAY before the inernetz web was so common.

We decided to see how many birthday cards we could collect for her. We called friends, sent letters, printed reminders, posted messages at local stores...
                            Just letting people know that we had a dear lady who was about to be 100 years old, and we would love to give her a large basket of Birthday Cards.

Lo and behold, on her birthday, we had well over FOUR HUNDRED CARDS, and they were still coming in, some as far away as Scotland and Germany and Poland.
                            (we had sent this info to our missionaries, and many of them participated)

When she passed, her nephew called me to come over to her house. He pointed to her recliner, and to the basket of unopened birthday cards beside it.
                            He said that "every day, she would open ONE card in the morning, and ONE card in the evening".

She had only gotten about halfway through the basket, but he said it gave her something to look forward to every day, twice a day.

(I gave the family the Church's blessings to open the rest of her cards for her)

By the way, this nephew was a vascular surgeon who told me he was always working Sundays, and hadn't found a Church to join.
                            He asked if he could tithe to our Church, and I told him that would be fine.

His "catch up" tithe check was almost our entire annual budget.
                            I don't think you did tell that before. It's wonderful! Thank you!

Comment

You coulda said you just wanted to make sure it wasn't Boque.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                You coulda said you just wanted to make sure it wasn't Boque.
                                I wasn't thinking that quickly, but that would have worked! If I'd thought of it!

Comment