Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

One rule for the boys but not for the girls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    You appear to be applying moral relativism. I am not. Your position can be used against your own personal moral views, for example, your position on homosexuality being what you call a "sin". You may not condone homosexuality and consider it to be a "sin" but using your own argument that does not make it wrong.

My position is that tolerance and sensitivity towards other cultures and other moral viewpoints do not require the acceptance that those other cultures or points of view are correct. Hence my argument that the position displayed by a polygynous man [and a society that permits polygyny but within which some are protesting against polyandry] is not correct - and is [IMO] hypocritical.
    You dismissed my belief in the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman as nothing more than "simply one of the mores of one society's culture", yet you object to that same standard being applied to your own personal beliefs.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Aren't all cultures supposed to be equally valid -- at least according to many of those on the left?
      [My emphasis] For some perhaps.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

So you find the way women are typically treated in Muslim countries abhorrent.

I await your first thread on that subject.
        I find the way many cultures treat women abhorrent. The desire among some in the West to deny women the right to control their own fertility is one such example. Poland's attitude towards abortion is abhorrent.

And I would condemn the extremist Muslim attitude towards women just as I would condemn the extremist Jewish attitude towards women. Or indeed the extremist Hindu attitude towards women.

Unfortunately I cannot post on the Islam board. I am not a theist.

However, South Africa is [because of its colonial past] a nominally Christian society. And the OP article cited clerics from both Christianity and Islam condemning polygyny.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I find the way many cultures treat women abhorrent. The desire among some in the West to deny women the right to control their own fertility is one such example. Poland's attitude towards abortion is abhorrent.

And I would condemn the extremist Muslim attitude towards women just as I would condemn the extremist Jewish attitude towards women. Or indeed the extremist Hindu attitude towards women.

Unfortunately I cannot post on the Islam board. I am not a theist.

However, South Africa is [because of its colonial past] a nominally Christian society. And the OP article cited clerics from both Christianity and Islam condemning polygyny.
          You have no problem kvetching about Christians in Civics so why not do the same about Muslims? Or was that just the excuse you came up with?

And what do you consider the Christian/Jewish/Hindu equivalent to say honor killings? Or stoning an adulterous woman to death (I don't know how familiar you are with the procedure, but it is a particularly brutal form of execution, and yes I'm know it was practiced by the Jews 2000 years ago, but I'm talking about now).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nominal is not the same as the real deal.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

You have no problem kvetching about Christians in Civics so why not do the same about Muslims? Or was that just the excuse you came up with?

And what do you consider the Christian/Jewish/Hindu equivalent to say honor killings? Or stoning an adulterous woman to death (I don't know how familiar you are with the procedure, but it is a particularly brutal form of execution, and yes I'm know it was practiced by the Jews 2000 years ago, but I'm talking about now).
              Yes but no doubt MM and possibly CD will metaphorically raise their hands and ask "What can we do about it?" However, as Islam is one of the Abrahamic religions it, like Judaism and Christianity, is patriarchal.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Yes but no doubt MM and possibly CD will metaphorically raise their hands and ask "What can we do about it?" However, as Islam is one of the Abrahamic religions it, like Judaism and Christianity, is patriarchal.
                Its not: "what can we do about it"
                It's: "How 'interesting' that HA, who is not south african, nor practicing polyandry/polygyny, has so many opinions on this place. It's 'amusing.'"

Comment

As I understand it, stoning as a form of execution by the ancient Jews generally involved dropping a heavy stone on the head or chest of the condemned to ensure a quick death. Of course those who wished to inflict suffering would often employ other methods.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So your excuse for not doing so is because another poster might ask "What can we do about it?"

If that's your reasoning then I guess you will no longer be posting anything more like this thread because after all some can ask "What can we do about it?"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So your excuse for not doing so is because another poster might ask "What can we do about it?"

If that's your reasoning then I guess you will no longer be posting anything more like this thread because after all some can ask "What can we do about it?"
                      Not at all. I merely made an observation. However, nothing prevents you from starting a thread on the subjugation of women in Islam.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Not at all. I merely made an observation. However, nothing prevents you from starting a thread on the subjugation of women in Islam.
                        I did but I don't see it now so that was likely Pre-Crash™ and now lost.

But you offered up people asking "What can we do about it? as a reason, not as an observation, and that's just lame.

It would have been better to have noted that there are many threads here dedicated to pointing out various injustices in the world (Juvie's thread concerning China's terrible treatment of the Uyghurs would be an excellent example) and point out that the first step to "doing something" is making people aware that there is a problem to begin with.

See how easy it is.

One of these days I need to find out if it is Uighurs or Uyghurs.

Comment

I did but I don't see it now so that was likely Pre-Crash™ and now lost.

But you offered up people asking "What can we do about it? as a reason, not as an observation, and that's just lame.

It would have been better to have noted that there are many threads here dedicated to pointing out various injustices in the world (Juvie's thread concerning China's terrible treatment of the Uyghurs would be an excellent example) and point out that the first step to "doing something" is making people aware that there is a problem to begin with.

See how easy it is.

One of these days I need to find out if it is Uighurs or Uyghurs.
                          I've been wondering about that (noting TWeb #5). Has there been another one in the time I have been gone?
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I've been wondering about that (noting TWeb #5). Has there been another one in the time I have been gone?
                            Tweb version 5 is a reboot we did last year.

Comment

Tweb version 5 is a reboot we did last year.
                              Ah - I like the new wallpaper - tis nicely improved.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Ah - I like the new wallpaper - tis nicely improved.
                                My background is... bacon Which should surprise absolutely nobody.

Comment