Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So Saying That "All Lives Matter" Is Derogatory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    That would be sexism, not racism, and no. Systemic sexism is against women, not men. Men are hurt too, but as the group in power, they choose to perpetuate it.
    Sorry for the typo. You are correct that I meant sexism.
    But you are missing my point. If disproportionate deaths (by population) of black people implies systemic racism against black people, then the disproportionate deaths of men would (even more) imply systemic sexism against men.
    And the contrapositive: If it does not imply systemic sexism against men, then it does not imply systemic racism against black people.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      What are you taking about? If crime rates among blacks are this much higher than for whites you would expect more cop shootings of blacks percentage wise. I'm not sure what your problem is.
      I think this discussion is beyond your capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        The figures are from official government sites, like the bureau of Justice. What do you propose to check them for accuracy? Count them yourself?
        When I said "whether those numbers are right" I didn't mean right as in accurately. I meant right comparatively wrt the question of whether black people are shot disproportionately.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          No sir. The problem is that you've made up your mind and you'll see what you want to see. You are SO wrong on this.
          If the basis of your opinion is plain denial, why participate in discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
            Sorry for the typo. You are correct that I meant sexism.
            But you are missing my point. If disproportionate deaths (by population) of black people implies systemic racism against black people, then the disproportionate deaths of men would (even more) imply systemic sexism against men.
            And the contrapositive: If it does not imply systemic sexism against men, then it does not imply systemic racism against black people.
            You don't understand how systemic racism/sexism work. First, systemic racism and sexism are already established. No single statistic would all of a sudden show any type of such to be true or false. Second, systemic racism in the US is against black people, among other groups, and perpetuated by white people. Because of this, systemic racism does not target white people. Likewise, systemic sexism in the US is against women and perpetuated by men. Because of this, systemic sexism does not target men. White people can be hurt by systemic racism and men can be hurt by systemic sexism, but that is by choice. Black people and women do not get to choose if they are hurt by systemic racism/sexism. They can only choose to fight it or take part in it.

Comment

I think this discussion is beyond your capabilities.
              Weak PM, really weak...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

If the basis of your opinion is plain denial, why participate in discussion?
                You must be typing to yourself, PM. This is exactly what you're doing -- I've actually posted backup.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

all labs matter.JPG
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I feel people are missing the true culprits here. It isn't whites.

Let's examine the statistics again. I'm using this article that Psychic Missile linked to. Here are some statistics:
                    Percentage of people shot by the police that are white: 49%
                    Percentage of the total population that are white: 63%
                    Percentage of people shot by the police that are black: 30%
                    Percentage of the total population that is black: 12%

So you're a little more than three times as likely to be shot by police if you're black than if you're white. However, let's look at two other percentages.

Percentage of people who are shot by police who are Asian: 2% (less, actually, as it says 2% are "Asian and other races" but let's round up)
                    Percentage of the total population that is Asian: 5.6%

It's bad that blacks are three times as likely to be shot as whites? How about the fact a black person is over seven times as likely to be shot by police than an Asian American? Why isn't the clear preferential treatment for Asian Americans getting any criticism?

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                      You don't understand how systemic racism/sexism work. First, systemic racism and sexism are already established. No single statistic would all of a sudden show any type of such to be true or false.
                      Are you saying that no evidence can prove or disprove the existence (or degree of) 'systemic racism'?

Originally posted by Psychic Missile
                      Second, systemic racism in the US is against black people, among other groups, and perpetuated by white people. Because of this, systemic racism does not target white people. Likewise, systemic sexism in the US is against women and perpetuated by men. Because of this, systemic sexism does not target men. White people can be hurt by systemic racism and men can be hurt by systemic sexism, but that is by choice. Black people and women do not get to choose if they are hurt by systemic racism/sexism. They can only choose to fight it or take part in it.
                      Sounds like a made-up stick for bashing those who disagree with you.
                      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                        Originally posted by Joel
                        If disproportionate deaths (by population) of black people implies systemic racism against black people, then the disproportionate deaths of men would (even more) imply systemic sexism against men.
                        You don't understand how systemic racism/sexism work. First, systemic racism and sexism are already established. No single statistic would all of a sudden show any type of such to be true or false.
                        That's consistent with what I said. So disproportionate deaths does not imply systemic racism. What are you arguing about then?

Comment

• Rohini Sethi, the vice president of the Student Government Association at the University of Houston, has been given a 50 day suspension from the Student Government Association and required to attend a diversity workshop as well as attend three cultural events per month, plus write a "reflection letter" and give a public presentation at a Student Government Association meeting after completing her sentence.

Her offense?

Posting "Forget #BlackLivesMatter; more like #AllLivesMatter" on Facebook (since deleted).

The fiend smiley fist shake.gif

She obviously got off way too lightly

Here is the official decision:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• those attachments are too small to read.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              those attachments are too small to read.
                              I can read them. It appears from the letter that Rohini's real crime is not abjectly apologizing for what she posted (it references actions and statements done after the posting).
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                those attachments are too small to read.
                                Sorry. You'll have to use the enlarge function on your browser.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment