Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So Saying That "All Lives Matter" Is Derogatory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    All lives matter, but that isn't the point, all lives aren't being murdered by police at the drop of a hat the way black lives are. Cmon seer, you know what those in the movement are speaking to.
    neither are black lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      The purpose of BLM is to bring attention to the mistreatment of black people by the police and by extension the government/country. The name refers to many high profile cases of black people's lives not being treated as valuable when it comes to the point at which police are willing to shoot someone. When someone responds with "all lives matter" they either totally misunderstand the BLM movement or they are trying to downplay the societal problems that black people face. The purpose of the name is to highlight a social issue, not to suggest exclusivity.
      The purpose of the movement is to cause division, hatred and violence towards cops, and show how racist they are. More people have been killed because of BLM's actions and statements than any other movement. They cause violence not solve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        That would be utterly astonishing if true. 5 seconds and Google tells me it isn't. Snopes debunks that first chant as happening once in 2014 prior to the existence of BLM. The second chant appears to have happened a grand total of once, and the protesters claimed it was a joke when asked about it.

So no, it is absolutely not true to say that BLM protesters regularly call for the deaths of cops. That's an utterly ridiculous claim to make.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Perhaps Starlight is just 'joking' about killing innocent toddlers. Perhaps Starlight has no soul.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Meanwhile, I'm watching several video interviews of BLM spokespersons being asked (CNN, not FoxNews ) about the "Pigs in a Blanket", and it's incredible how they "dog ate my homework" the answer, or simply try to change the subject.

I'm looking for just ONE example of a BLM spokesperson saying something like, "That was dumb - we denounce it".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Perhaps Starlight is just 'joking' about killing innocent toddlers. Perhaps Starlight has no soul.
              what does he do with all of the souls of the babies he eats?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                what does he do with all of the souls of the babies he eats?
                Fortunately, he has no control over that.

Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  It's pretty easy to understand why blacks don't like it. Sparko pointed it out. What I can't figure out (though I theorize it has something to do with white guilt?) is why white liberals cede to it. That's a whole lot more bizarre and interesting. I've heard some really far out theories for that that I probably couldn't repeat here on tweb lol.
                  I would go with 'ALL lives matter,' but it does not address the historical issue of the problem of blacks relationship with law enforcement. The saying 'Black lives matter' is a challenge for society to deal with this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    I would go with 'ALL lives matter,' but it does not address the historical issue of the problem of blacks relationship with law enforcement. The saying 'Black lives matter' is a challenge for society to deal with this issue.
                    ok, but then other than protesting and getting cops killed, what are they actually doing to make sure black lives are saved? Are they encouraging blacks to commit less crimes? To stop doing drugs? To not confront police? To stop killing each other? To leave gangs?

No. They just blame the police. The police who have to respond to the crimes the black lives are committing. To stop them from killing each other, raping each other. They are trying to remove the only force mitigating the death of blacks. Without cops, the gangs would destroy the neighborhoods, and themselves.

So maybe BLM should actually care about Black Lives and encourage change in their own people instead of just playing victim and blaming cops.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Right, because blacks are much more violent and commit a much higher percentage of violent crime, therefore Police have more interaction with the community where something can go wrong. And in such dangerous communities Police are probably more aggressive or more on edge.
                      There are no solid statistics, but I looked at percentage of US population, percentage killed by police as reported by the Killed by Police website and the Washington Post, and percentage of violent crime committed by each race from the FBI, and there is still a discrepancy. It doesn't look like white criminals are shot dead by police as often as black criminals.

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Yet most of the major cities where poverty and crime and aggressive policing are most prevalent are cities that have been run by Democrats for decades, often Black Democrats. So it must be the Democrats, Black and White, that are fostering institutional racism.
                      Just because someone is a Democrat doesn't mean that they are not racist or want to change things by way of liberal policy. There could also be issues at the state and interstate levels.
                      Last edited by Psychic Missile; 07-19-2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                        There are no solid tistastics, but I looked at percentage of US population, percentage killed by police as reported by the Killed by Police website, and percentage of violent crime committed by each race from the FBI, and there is still a discrepancy. It doesn't look like white criminals are shot dead by police as often as black criminals.
                        Yes there actually are good statistics about the crime rate in the black community and please show the discrepancy.

Just because someone is a Democrat doesn't mean that they are not racist or want to change things by way of liberal policy. There could also be issues at the state and interstate levels.
                        Nonsense, most of these are liberal Dems and have been in charge for decades, and mostly in states run by Democrats. But if you want to say that these liberal Democrats are racist - fine.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

For me the problem with 'Black live matter' is that I can't see how it's going to achieve anything worthwhile.

Every life is valuable, and anyone getting shot and killed is a tragedy. But actual racial discrimination is illegal in America, right? While racial prejudice persists in some people's attitudes, it is actually illegal. So the first thing is that the areas that need change are the attitudes of people to one another, rather than changing laws.

BLM is counter-productive because it is not going to change people's attitudes in a positive way, but rather in a negative way. Racists, both black and white, are more confirmed in their prejudices by BLM's approach.

BLM feeds into the narrative that every time a white police officer shoots a black person, it's because of racial prejudice. So people are only encouraged in their prejudices, and see every incident or problem that involves people from different races as racially motivated, when only a fraction - and who knows how small - actually are. It also encourages white people to view every such incident as racially motivated, and so persist in racial stereotypes. This is exacerbated by facts like the number of whites murdered by blacks being 446 (2014) and the number of blacks being murdered by whites being 187 in the same time period. Factor in the relative population sizes, and it's clear that blacks murder whites at a disproportionately high rate.

How many racist white people are now able to say 'See? I told you so..' to people who previously rejected their views, but now are wondering about it, after the recent events. BLM isn't going to make the racists shut up, it's giving them 'evidence' to back up their views. It's dangerous, to black people. If (when?) enough white people begin to really believe that black people are dangerous, and a real threat that they can't avoid... ...watch out. Things will get really ugly.

MLK and so many truly courageous people did far more to improve black lives, and end discrimination with peaceful resistance and civil disobedience, than anyone who resorted to violence.
                          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

There are plenty of instances of BLM protesters chanting "What do we want / dead cops - When do we want them? / NOW" and "Pigs in a blanket / Fry 'em like bacon".

The response of BLM? Crickets.

They should have loudly and clearly been denouncing violence all along.
                            I am not aware of any instance of BLM protestors chanting about dead cops, and they seem to denounce any violent acts or call to violence that their enemies might want to associate them with.

Prove it. And be sure to take into consideration the percentage of crime they commit.
                            According to the Washinton Post, 25% of the people shot dead by police in 2015 were black and 48% were white. According to Peter Moskos via the Washington Times, 30% of the people shot dead by police from May 2013 to April 2015 were black and 49% were white. According to the FBI, black people make up 28% of the arrests in 2012, and white people make up 69%. For just murder, it's about even percentage-wise. According to the 2010 US Census, 12% of the US population is black and 63% is white.

From all this data, we can see that black people are more likely to be shot dead by police than white people, and this is not in proportion to criminal activity when using white people as a baseline.

Wait... WHAT?
                            What are you having trouble with?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              The purpose of the movement is to cause division, hatred and violence towards cops, and show how racist they are. More people have been killed because of BLM's actions and statements than any other movement. They cause violence not solve it.
                              Why do you think that?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                                For me the problem with 'Black live matter' is that I can't see how it's going to achieve anything worthwhile.

Every life is valuable, and anyone getting shot and killed is a tragedy. But actual racial discrimination is illegal in America, right? While racial prejudice persists in some people's attitudes, it is actually illegal. So the first thing is that the areas that need change are the attitudes of people to one another, rather than changing laws.

BLM is counter-productive because it is not going to change people's attitudes in a positive way, but rather in a negative way. Racists, both black and white, are more confirmed in their prejudices by BLM's approach.

BLM feeds into the narrative that every time a white police officer shoots a black person, it's because of racial prejudice. So people are only encouraged in their prejudices, and see every incident or problem that involves people from different races as racially motivated, when only a fraction - and who knows how small - actually are. It also encourages white people to view every such incident as racially motivated, and so persist in racial stereotypes. This is exacerbated by facts like the number of whites murdered by blacks being 446 (2014) and the number of blacks being murdered by whites being 187 in the same time period. Factor in the relative population sizes, and it's clear that blacks murder whites at a disproportionately high rate.

How many racist white people are now able to say 'See? I told you so..' to people who previously rejected their views, but now are wondering about it, after the recent events. BLM isn't going to make the racists shut up, it's giving them 'evidence' to back up their views. It's dangerous, to black people. If (when?) enough white people begin to really believe that black people are dangerous, and a real threat that they can't avoid... ...watch out. Things will get really ugly.

MLK and so many truly courageous people did far more to improve black lives, and end discrimination with peaceful resistance and civil disobedience, than anyone who resorted to violence.
                                well said.

Comment