Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

THIS is what we are warning you all about!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    JimL suggesting Chinese education camps analogues. Hurray for fedora atheists.
    Really! I didn't realize that Chinese education camps taught people to think for themselves. I thought that they were more religion like, teaching their young to all believe the same things. We call that brainwashing nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Really! I didn't realize that Chinese education camps taught people to think for themselves.
      Chinese education camps are infamous for actually taking children from believing parents, and teaching them God does not exist. You can try to pick other things that aren't equal with your proposal and theirs, but if what you propose is the government taking children from believing parents, then you're proposing education camps.

At the very least you're proposing something horrible evil, condemned by both religious people and feminists.

Comment

At the very least you're proposing something horrible evil, condemned by both religious people and feminists.
        Jimmy just repeats and spews forth liberal echo chamber talking points - he rarely actually understands them.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Chinese education camps are infamous for actually taking children from believing parents, and teaching them God does not exist. You can try to pick other things that aren't equal with your proposal and theirs, but if what you propose is the government taking children from believing parents, then you're proposing education camps.
          Good thing I never proposed that then.
          What is horribly evil about teaching children to think and make decisions for themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
            What is horribly evil about teaching children to think and make decisions for themselves?
            What is it that makes you think that Christian parents don't do the same thing? We teach our children about God, but they make their own decisions as to whether or not they believe in Him. There is no difference between atheist parents and Christian parents according to your statement here.

You teach your kids your beliefs and I teach my kids mine. But you call my way evil and your way good. I say it's the other way around.

So here we are.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

That's really kind of a goofy question, Jimmy, because there has to be a framework. If your child picked up a bottle of ammonia and started to drink it, would you just sit back and say, "ya know, children need to make decisions for themselves...." Or would you quickly and decisively intervene?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Good thing I never proposed that then.

Nothing. But first you need to teach them things like what is right and wrong and what is true and what isn't. Or are you advocating the "Teach Both Sides" and let them decide for themselves approach.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm thinking maybe this is what happened to you, Jimmy, and why you are like you are. Maybe nobody actually took the time to teach you right from wrong, and important things like the principle of "unintended consequences". Perhaps you were just left to develop on your own with no guidance?
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-14-2016, 08:57 PM. Reason: unintended, not unexpected

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    What sort of thing?
                    Subpoenaing sermons.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      That's really kind of a goofy question, Jimmy, because there has to be a framework. If your child picked up a bottle of ammonia and started to drink it, would you just sit back and say, "ya know, children need to make decisions for themselves...." Or would you quickly and decisively intervene?
                      Part of teaching children to think and make decisions for themselves is giving them that framework. I'm responding to you specifically, but there are several people in this thread that seem oblivious of that particular aspect.

It's NOT just "let them do whatever they want", which is what your ammonia example would be.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

.... to teach you right from wrong, and important things like the principle of "unintended consequences".

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          Part of teaching children to think and make decisions for themselves is giving them that framework.

I'm responding to you specifically, but there are several people in this thread that seem oblivious of that particular aspect.
                          And the framework comes from our own beliefs, experiences and background.

It's NOT just "let them do whatever they want", which is what your ammonia example would be.
                          There are SO many things that a child can do, ignorant of the consequences, that can be dangerous or even deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            ... While we do need to pass on certain skills and facts about the world...
                            And, hence, the problem - I'm sure you and I would choose different "skills and facts about the world" to pass on. And while there may well be cases of "over-parenting", I think we're at a far greater risk from under-parenting.

Comment

In an enlightened secular society the "framework" must be a secular one, not a religion-based one. There can be no way to resolve conflicts about moral issues when members of competing denominations and religions hold absolute beliefs which are mutually exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                In an enlightened secular society the "framework" must be a secular one, not a religion-based one.
                                So, you're going to come to my house and deprive me of raising my children the way I see fit?

There can be no way to resolve conflicts about moral issues when members of competing denominations and religions hold absolute beliefs which are mutually exclusive.
                                I'll tell you what - you raise your kids the way you see fit, and keep your big enlightened butt out of my business.

Comment