Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Protesters smear fake blood on faces at blogger Milo Yiannopoulos' Rutgers talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    And Milo offered plenty of academic value in his speech. These pinheads didn't like his message beforehand, and plotted to make an ass of themselves. Mission was accomplished.
    What academic value did his speech offer?

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      And what sort of 'academic value' is offered in:

- College spots
      - College stores
      - Fraternities/sororities

By the logic you present here, we should rid these things from every university campus, correct?
      I'm specifically talking about universities hosting speakers. You do have a point, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        could you try that again, in English?
        The speakers universities host should provide some academic value. The right to free speech does not include the right to have universities host your lecture.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          The speakers universities host should provide some academic value. The right to free speech does not include the right to have universities host your lecture.
          the university has a right to host whoever they want to. or allow anyone to speak if they wish. universities generally want to expose their students to a wide range of opinions, politics, and social agendas. or at least they SHOULD want that. And tolerance, what most liberals claim they want, is allowing others to believe and say what they want, even though they don't agree with them.

Comment

The American people do not have a right to have a university host a lecture for anyone with an opinion. Any given speaker welcomes to lecture should provide some academic value.
            That eliminates all liberals. Try again.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              the university has a right to host whoever they want to. or allow anyone to speak if they wish. universities generally want to expose their students to a wide range of opinions, politics, and social agendas. or at least they SHOULD want that. And tolerance, what most liberals claim they want, is allowing others to believe and say what they want, even though they don't agree with them.
              Just because someone or something has a right to do something doesn't mean they ought to do that thing. There's a difference between a university exposing students to different types of literary criticism or schools of economic thought and giving a platform to a flat earther or white supremacist. Tolerance has limits.

Comment

Just because someone or something has a right to do something doesn't mean they ought to do that thing. There's a difference between a university exposing students to different types of literary criticism or schools of economic thought and giving a platform to a flat earther or white supremacist. Tolerance has limits.
                Now you are moving goal posts.

You said, "The right to free speech does not include the right to have universities host your lecture."

Now it's "ought"

Whether they "ought" to do something is a completely different matter, and it is their decision to make. Not yours. That is what "rights" are all about.

Comment

[QUOTE=Psychic Missile;292244 giving a platform to a flat earther or white supremacist. Tolerance has limits.[/QUOTE]You might have earned some sympathy had you added "Lysenkoist Environmentalist or murderous Black Panther"
                  Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    pinheads [...] an ass [...] themselves
                    Asses.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      Asses.
                      Grammar is CP's job.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

What academic value did his speech offer?
                        Political Science at work.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Grammar is CP's job.
                          Grammar policing, and the last I checked, he was only serving as chaplain.

Comment

My favorite thing to come out of it was the one student who said something like (and I'm paraphrasing) "Rutgers stands for inclusion and diversity, so he shouldn't be allowed to speak here!"

Comment

I'm specifically talking about universities hosting speakers. You do have a point, but that's outside the scope of this thread.
                              Sounds like college would be quite boring; if you were running it.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Whatever happened to the old saying, "I disagree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to my death your right to say it"?
                                Last edited by Littlejoe; 02-15-2016, 07:07 PM.
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment