Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Antibiotic Resistance Will Kill 300 Million People by 2050

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    I agree, we should be dicussing how liberal push for promiscuous behavior has added to this through unnecessary STDs.
    Or maybe how liberal deployment of hospitals has created a fabulous incubator for superbugs. Or maybe how conservative budget boosts to scientific research will help us with this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
      Or maybe how liberal deployment of hospitals has created a fabulous incubator for superbugs. Or maybe how conservative budget boosts to scientific research will help us with this issue.
      Yep, talk about how bad it is to blame others and here you are... blaming others. How quaint.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Yep, talk about how bad it is to blame others and here you are... blaming others. How quaint.
        Um, I think he's mocking DE.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
          Perhaps, but I've seen how phank acts towards those who disagree with him.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Perhaps, but I've seen how phank acts towards those who disagree with him.
            You mean, like you?

Comment

You mean, like you?
              Than I'm sure you could explain why I'm currently defending those I don't always agree with, in Civics right now, eh?
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
                I'm not sure what you mean by liberal deployment of hospitals, liberals are busy trying to shut down hospitals by demanding the religious ones perform abortions. With regards to american style fiscal conservatives, I'm not one so I agree completely. It seems to me though that science can and has progressed without government help, so while the conservative method may leave a few corpses behind, conservatives don't actively promote destructive behavior like liberals do.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

That was the initial intent, but I seem to have run afoul of Poe's Law here.

Comment

Than I'm sure you could explain why I'm currently defending those I don't always agree with, in Civics right now, eh?
                    I'm only kidding with you. You're not nasty all the time.

Comment

Sounds rather inaccurate to me (after all, we've heard this song and dance before). Problem with the logic is that even assuming there is low development in antibiotics because of profits, it would become more profitable to create new ones due to a greater demand for antibiotics. Plus, how do you determine the cause of death was due to resistant bacteria? I know COD's are not always obvious or easy to determine.
                      We have heard about this before, and we are on track.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        We have heard about this before, and we are on track.
                        We've been 'on track' for many disasters that have never materialized. Problem with trying to figure out things that are decades away is you have to go with assumptions that assume no changes will take place. If deaths, due to antibiotic resistant bacteria, go on the rise; demand to do something about it will rise, and since that equals more profits, more efforts will be made in antibiotic research. That is the problem with assumptions, they usually never pan out as you expect.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                          And fewer vote banks to empower the Al Sharptons of the world to influence the spending of the revenue that remains.
                          I really do hate it when I have to amen you.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We've been 'on track' for many disasters that have never materialized. Problem with trying to figure out things that are decades away is you have to go with assumptions that assume no changes will take place. If deaths, due to antibiotic resistant bacteria, go on the rise; demand to do something about it will rise, and since that equals more profits, more efforts will be made in antibiotic research. That is the problem with assumptions, they usually never pan out as you expect.
                            Good point. Linear extrapolations are rarely correct, due to lots of feedback effects. If a problem gets serious, it gets addressed. Nonetheless, lead times matter. The problem of falling off a cliff is serious just before the fall, not just before the landing. Halfway down, it's human nature to say "no problem so far" and get distracted.

Comment

OFF TOPIC, we are not talking about many disasters that never materialized. Start a thread on each one and document your case. The growing problem and potential future impact has been known for a long time, as well as many anti-biotic resistant and immune diseases we are dealing with now as predicted.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                OFF TOPIC, we are not talking about many disasters that never materialized. Start a thread on each one and document your case. The growing problem and potential future impact has been known for a long time, as well as many anti-biotic resistant and immune diseases we are dealing with now as predicted.
                                It's perfectly on topic shuny because that is the problem with these doom's day views. They have to assume things do not change in decades time. The fact is that as more antiboitic resistant and immune diseases come about, that creates a reason to dig into research because it becomes more and more important (as well as profitable) to dive into new meds to combat these diseases. It is currently 2014 (almost 2015), how much have things changed since 1979? Is medical technology at the same level in 1979 as it is today? My grandfather died from a diseases that today, is quite treatable. That is the problem with these doom's day views, they assume too much.
                                Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-21-2014, 10:10 PM.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment