Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Antibiotic Resistance Will Kill 300 Million People by 2050

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    IIRC there was also evidence that nuclear bomb testing was throwing enough dust into the atmosphere that it was blocking/reflecting enough sunlight to have a measurable effect.

Roy
    This may be part of hypothetical reason assuming nuclear testing would continue and increase, but the science of climatic cycles, was the main reason scientists proposed the possibility of an impending Ice Age. The data has been considerably refined since, and the view toward the possibility and timing of the possible Ice Age is refined as more scientific knowledge figures into the calculations. This is not a classic hysterical Dooms Day scenario except in the popular press, and not really the subject of the thread.

Actually, when you compare the data from the known geologic cyclic climatic data we should be entering an Ice Age, but something happened in the last ~20,000 years or so, and not related to human influence. Instead of entering another Ice Age, the climatic cycles plateaued and stayed warm. The data in this period indicated a gently warming curve up in this plateau to the Holocene climatic warm period, and then a slow average decline since with a little Ice Age. The human effect of global climate change has complicated the picture, but for some natural reason we did not enter the normal trend to an Ice Age.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-23-2014, 07:35 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      This may be part of hypothetical reason assuming nuclear testing would continue and increase, but the science of climatic cycles, was the main reason scientists proposed the possibility of an impending Ice Age.
      Yes, it was based on a continuation of nuclear testing. I think (but I can't be sure since I was very young) that it was one of the reasons for the pressure to end nuke testing.
      Actually, when you compare the data from the known geologic cyclic climatic data we should be entering an Ice Age, but something happened in the last ~20,000 years or so, and not related to human influence.
      Well, that's the question. What were humans doing 10-, 15-, 20,000 years ago that might have influenced climate? There are various possibilities - agriculture, forest clearance (slash or burn), coppicing, hunting large grazers to extinction, introducing invasive species - that would have affected whole ecosystems and may have affected climate.

Roy
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Yes, it was based on a continuation of nuclear testing. I think (but I can't be sure since I was very young) that it was one of the reasons for the pressure to end nuke testing.Well, that's the question. What were humans doing 10-, 15-, 20,000 years ago that might have influenced climate? There are various possibilities - agriculture, forest clearance (slash or burn), coppicing, hunting large grazers to extinction, introducing invasive species - that would have affected whole ecosystems and may have affected climate.

Roy
        Also the increasing amount of particulates in air pollution. Regulating PM-10 (10 micron particulate matter) a la the U.S. Clean Air Acts (don't know about other developed nations) allowed more sunlight to reach Earth's surface.

Remember Pinatubo?

K54

P.S. I seriously doubt Paleo- and Neolithic H. sapiens populations of around 1 million doing slash-and-burn could have affected climate 10 or 20 Ka.
        Last edited by klaus54; 12-23-2014, 02:42 PM. Reason: p.s.

Comment

Why hasn't anyone mentioned phage therapy yet?

Comment

Aparently the UN is having a summit soon to talk about the problems of exces antibiotic use. It's a real shame that 80% of antibiotics go to fattening animals. Overuse to "treat" viral infections and to purify wastewater ar also problems. I personaly think antibiotic resistance is the worst thret to human wel-being in the next several decades. Next ar warfare, resource depeletion, and climat change.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...A_FB_HLTH_BLOG
            Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
              Aparently the UN is having a summit soon to talk about the problems of exces antibiotic use. It's a real shame that 80% of antibiotics go to fattening animals. Overuse to "treat" viral infections and to purify wastewater ar also problems. I personaly think antibiotic resistance is the worst thret to human wel-being in the next several decades. Next ar warfare, resource depeletion, and climat change.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...A_FB_HLTH_BLOG
              I tend to agree. There are several modern medical/hygiene issues and trends that are creating a possible impending health crisis. The over use of antibiotics is the biggest elephant in the room, but this is compounded by a fanatical paranoia of cleanliness, especially for children in the west. I grew up on a farm where we played in everything from mud to manure. As we grew up with my neighbor friends, my fellow siblings and cousins, virtually none of us had serious asthma problems, and rarely got sick, except for the normal childhood diseases. I also developed a very mild reaction to insect stings.

Recently the FDA has banned certain chemicals in hand cleansers, because of health risks, which is a possitive move in the right direction.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment