Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

On the Etiquette of dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The Devil went down to Georgia....
    Love you too brudder

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

JimL, I don't have any formal education in QM either - just some self-education reading some papers and textbooks on the topic. But I never claimed any expertise or argued with someone who did that I was right and they were wrong, as you most certainly did (and do.) So if you want to pretend to be smarter than someone with a degree in that field, you need to show your qualifications.

As far as who is right, Lurch or grmorton, I don't know enough to make a judgment, although what I have read agrees more with Glenn. I certainly am not going to pretend to correct either one of them with my "expertise"

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
        Many of us discuss quantum mechanics here without a formal education on the subject.
        I think what you meant to say is "Many of us ignorantly discuss quantum mechanics here without a formal education on the subject."

QM seems to be one those multidisciplinary subjects that even the experts have trouble taming, so I don't imagine there's much chance of mere laymen having any kind of informed discussion.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          JimL, I don't have any formal education in QM either - just some self-education reading some papers and textbooks on the topic. But I never claimed any expertise or argued with someone who did that I was right and they were wrong, as you most certainly did (and do.) So if you want to pretend to be smarter than someone with a degree in that field, you need to show your qualifications.

As far as who is right, Lurch or grmorton, I don't know enough to make a judgment, although what I have read agrees more with Glenn. I certainly am not going to pretend to correct either one of them with my "expertise"
          Being willing to know one's limitations is why I don't engage in conversations pertaining to QM (or to a much lesser extent even basic physics).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Being willing to know one's limitations is why I don't engage in conversations pertaining to QM (or to a much lesser extent even basic physics).
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Sparko, I know for a fact that the great majority of scientist no longer believe in the Copenhagen interpretation wherein consciousness is the cause of reality. I can make that argument, because I know it to be a fact.

So in your opinion Glen is right? How dare you voice an opinion against Lurch like that. What do you think that you know more than him or something?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Sparko, I know for a fact that the great majority of scientist no longer believe in the Copenhagen interpretation wherein consciousness is the cause of reality. I can make that argument, because I know it to be a fact.

So in your opinion Glen is right? How dare you voice an opinion against Lurch like that. What do you think that you know more than him or something?

You can voice your opinion any time you want. But when you think you are smarter than an actual physicist in a topic he has studied professionally, then you are suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Comment

You can voice your opinion any time you want. But when you think you are smarter than an actual physicist in a topic he has studied professionally, then you are suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect.
                  You confuse "thinking one is smarter" for thinking one is right. You do the same when you opine, so please stop with the hypocrisy.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    You confuse "thinking one is smarter" for thinking one is right. You do the same when you opine, so please stop with the hypocrisy.
                    Hey Jim, how about responding to what people actually say? Sparko expressly disclaimed judging who was right on the matter. You're making a(t least one) false accusation here.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Hey Jim, how about responding to what people actually say? Sparko expressly disclaimed judging who was right on the matter. You're making a(t least one) false accusation here.
                      Yes, Sparko disclaimed knowing who was right and then said he believed, according to what he has read, that Glen was right. I believe due to what I have read that Glen is wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Yes, Sparko disclaimed knowing who was right and then said he believed, according to what he has read, that Glen was right. I believe due to what I have read that Glen is wrong.
                        No, he didn't. He disclaimed knowing who was right, and then said that he believed that what Glen was saying was more in accordance with what he'd read elsewhere - not that it was necessarily right.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          No, he didn't. He disclaimed knowing who was right, and then said that he believed that what Glen was saying was more in accordance with what he'd read elsewhere - not that it was necessarily right.
                          Nice, semantics. In other words, he believes Glen was right. I believe Glen was wrong.

Comment

no, I stated what I believe. Everyone has to choose what they believe from the pool of supposed facts presented to them. But I am not going to start arguing with Lurch about why I think he is wrong because I don't enough knowledge to do so. But not so you, you feel like you can not only argue with Glenn on the same footing, but actually denigrate him and his knowledge. That is why he asked you for your credentials. And why we all laughed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              no, I stated what I believe. Everyone has to choose what they believe from the pool of supposed facts presented to them. But I am not going to start arguing with Lurch about why I think he is wrong because I don't enough knowledge to do so. But not so you, you feel like you can not only argue with Glenn on the same footing, but actually denigrate him and his knowledge. That is why he asked you for your credentials. And why we all laughed.
                              Oh knock it off. If you are agreeing with Glen then you are disagreeing with Lurch in just the same way I disagree with Glen. Give it up already.

Comment

Oh knock it off. If you are agreeing with Glen then you are disagreeing with Lurch in just the same way I disagree with Glen. Give it up already.
                                Wow Jim, great comeback.

You are an arrogant dumbass. You always have been and I actually enjoy it when you pontificate on matters you have no idea about. It is hilarious, so keep it up.

Comment