Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

On the Etiquette of dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Jim Googles stuff. His degree is in Googliography.
    I think he flunked.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by grmorton View Post
      I am waiting to see if JimL tells us his qualifications with regards to physics. I think he is the atheist equivalent of Jorge. My bet is he will dodge the question, but I might be wrong
      Jimmy doesn't even like to give sources to backup his assertions, so good luck getting his education transcript.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Jim Googles stuff. His degree is in Googliography.
        Ah the atheist Jorge. Every group has one or two guys like that.

Last word to lurch before I take off. You have come a long way from initially saying I was misrepresenting quantum to now acknowledging that lots of physicists agree with my position on it, in truth, I am just agreeing with them. But here is the thing Lurch and other atheists and agnostics. If Quantum does as these guys say, and make mind ascendant over matter, yall have a real problem with your philosophy of materialism because science doesn't support materialism. In The past, when I was faced with data that didn't support my young earth view, I squirmed a lot about it tried to fix it, but intellectual honesty finally made me have to agree that there was no fix for YEC. I hope you bring the same intellectual honesty to your problem that I did. If mind is required to collapse the wavelet, the materialism is simply wrong. Good luck with your struggles on this issue. If you don't struggle with it, then you are doing what yecs do when I place a geologic photo in their faces--deny deny deny. Take care everyone. might be back sometime.

Comment

I am about to take off from here--too much time, but I will respond. There is math for entanglement--it is the same math that you are familiar with. The problem is that we don't experience entanglement. THat is the problem.
          Is it really? Because the math i'm aware of requires the photons (or other quantum systems) to be entangled with a specific property, like polarization or spin. Conscious observers don't have any of those, and i've not seen any suggestions of what the property might be.

Clearly no one has seen that with a human but we have seen it with all other forms of matter and there is inherently no reason it shouldn't apply to us.
          Last word to lurch before I take off. You have come a long way from initially saying I was misrepresenting quantum to now acknowledging that lots of physicists agree with my position on it, in truth, I am just agreeing with them.
          Just to clarify my position - i recognize that physicists agreed with you the whole time. But their position hasn't been demonstrated scientifically, and remains a philosophical one - and i think it's a misrepresentation to present it otherwise. I'd personally argue that the more we understand how this all works practically, and how environmental influence mimic measurements, it becomes more difficult to maintain, but that's a personal opinion.

Good luck with your struggles on this issue.
          Well, i'll find out if it causes a struggle if the science ever makes it an issue. In the mean time i wish you well.
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Lurch, I am very disappointed in your intellectual honesty. You told Sparko in response to him saying consciousness was a necessity: It's also probably the most frequently misrepresented aspects of quantum mechanics, so you've probably heard otherwise a lot.

Now you say you knew all along that most physicists agreed with my view on quantum when you said " i recognize that physicists agreed with you the whole time. " I just hate it when people change history. I won't be back to hear your lame response or excuse. Changing history is one of the most grievous of sins in my book. One should man up and admit that he was wrong; not say that he was in agreement all along. Sheesh, this is what I absolutely hate about TW.

Comment

I am waiting to see if JimL tells us his qualifications with regards to physics. I think he is the atheist equivalent of Jorge. My bet is he will dodge the question, but I might be wrong
              The only one dodging the questions is you by not answering mine and instead asking for my qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                The only one dodging the questions is you by not answering mine and instead asking for my qualifications.
                I didn't figure you had any qualifications. It's a technical subject, Jim. There's little point in continuing a dialogue with you if you don't have the tools to understand the concepts involved.

The saying, "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" comes to mind.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I didn't figure you had any qualifications. It's a technical subject, Jim. There's little point in continuing a dialogue with you if you don't have the tools to understand the concepts involved.

The saying, "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" comes to mind.
                  Anyone who can read and comprehend has qualifications OBP. Many of us discuss quantum mechanics here without a formal education on the subject. Even you could have an understanding of quantum mechanics if you tried. If I remember correctly, GMortons education didn't help him any when it came to understanding climate change either.

Comment

Anyone who can read and comprehend has qualifications OBP.
                    Well, you have obviously just disqualified yourself

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Well, you have obviously just disqualified yourself
                      Such a wit you are, rouge.

Comment

Such a wit you are, rouge.
                        Such a halfwit you are, jimmy.

Comment

Many of us discuss quantum mechanics here without a formal education on the subject. Even you could have an understanding of quantum mechanics if you tried.
                          As it happens, I have taken an introductory course on QM. I don't pretend to have more than a rudimentary grasp on the subject however.
                          If I remember correctly, GMortons education didn't help him any when it came to understanding climate change either.
                          IOW, his position differs from your uncritical regurgitation of the party line.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Such a halfwit you are, jimmy.
                            THAT much?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

THAT much?
                              The month is nearly over and I needed to meet my monthly allotment of being nice

Comment

The month is nearly over and I needed to meet my monthly allotment of being nice
                                The Devil went down to Georgia....
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment