Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

RIP Stephen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    No, not exactly. I do not think I will "spend eternity in a grave." I think I will simply cease to be. My body be cremated after any organ donations are complete, and my ashes disposed of as the surviving members of my family determine. This planet is not "eternal," so any grave is eventually going to simply disappear.

No - it's not. The evidence is fairly compelling for my worldview. It is not that I "believe the person will not be conscious of that eternity," it is that I believe there will no longer exist a person to BE conscious. And I'm not looking for "luck," my friend.

I'll be fine with whatever happens.
    Hehehe ...

So very easy to talk about hunger after finishing a seven-course dinner.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      Just out of curiosity, how do you square this with the fact that the oil companies, in federal court, just acknowledged that the scientists have gotten climate change right?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/1...-chevron-exxon

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

OMG, the oil companies must be in on it!

" ... oil companies, in Federal Court, acknowledged that the scientists have gotten climate change right ..."

By any chance, did you just land here this morning from Pluto?

Do the words "all playing for the same team" mean anything to you?

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
        Hehehe ...

So very easy to talk about hunger after finishing a seven-course dinner.

Jorge
        Not sure I understand the analogy...
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

" ... oil companies, in Federal Court, acknowledged that the scientists have gotten climate change right ..."

By any chance, did you just land here this morning from Pluto?

Do the words "all playing for the same team" mean anything to you?

Jorge
          The oil companies are in on the "climate hoax?" Is that what you're saying?
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

But I would bet that the more intelligent and honest among you have serious doubts and ask those aforementioned questions, even if only to yourself.
            You would lose that bet.
            Not that he'd ever admit that. He'd welch.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Not sure I understand the analogy...
              "So very easy to talk about hunger after finishing a seven-course dinner."

I'm not the least bit surprised that you do not understand - most Materialists/Atheists don't.

It's really quite simple: you are here on Earth, you are alive, breathing and kicking, you are able to enjoy yourself in the many ways that this can be done; e.g., have a nice meal, catch some entertainment (a show, a movie, etc.), have a pleasant stroll through a park ... and so on.

In short, life is good (yes, problems, illness, bad situations do occur but overall, "life is good").

It is very hard, if not impossible, for people to imagine "not-life". Your phrase "I'll be fine with whatever happens" is a typical, superficial claim expressing that sentiment.

Upon deeper reflection you must realize that while it's one thing to "talk" about Hell and Satan, it's would be quite another thing to EXPERIENCE Hell and Satan. No one gets to do the latter until AFTER the shootin'-match has ended at which point there is no recourse. "I'll be fine with whatever happens" is an arrogant, ignorant proclamation. If Hell and Satan are what God says it is (and God is no liar) then be 100% assured that you will NOT "be fine with whatever happens".

But at this moment your belly is full - "life is good" - so what do you care about tomorrow, right?

That, in a nutshell, is the meaning.

That meaning typically swooshes way over the head of Materialists/Atheists as they dismiss anything that does not conform to their chosen beliefs. Here's the rub: choosing to not believe in something does not make that something disappear.

Jorge
              Last edited by Jorge; 04-10-2018, 06:29 AM.

Comment

The oil companies are in on the "climate hoax?" Is that what you're saying?
                The climate hoax is part of a much larger agenda, commonly known as the 'New World Order Establishment' agenda. Most of the huge multinational corporations are, as you say "in" on this agenda. That is a provable fact. Sadly, most people are completely oblivious to that fact. This is so by design.

Jorge

Comment

WOW! As W. Pauli would say, "Not even wrong!"

Jorge
                  It was rejected by every other member -- including by other YECs such as the co-author of the book with Morris that launched the modern YEC movement (John C. Whitcomb -- The Genesis Flood).

By insisting that one must accept YEC dogma is shifting the foundation of our faith from Christ and onto the age of the earth... the foundation of my faith is built upon Christ and his finished work on the cross, not upon the age of the earth or whether life has evolved.

Perhaps you should pay close attention to what Jesus Himself says about those who base their faith on something other than Him:
                  "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." --Matthew 7:24-27

Essentially what you are doing is adding to Scripture -- something we're repeatedly and explicitly told not to do (Deuteronomy 4:2; 12:32; Proverbs 30:6; cf. Revelation 22:18-19) and by continuing to demand that one must also comply with YEC dogma such folks are putting "an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way" (Romans 14:13) as well as offering up what Paul denounced as being "another Gospel" (II Corinthians 11:4; Galatians 1:8)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Misrepresentation! So, what else is new? Nothing!

Jorge
                    You're the one who is implying that there is something to a Flat Earth and geocentrism when you proclaimed that both have "versions [that] have things to consider."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                      The climate hoax is part of a much larger agenda, commonly known as the 'New World Order Establishment' agenda. Most of the huge multinational corporations are, as you say "in" on this agenda. That is a provable fact. Sadly, most people are completely oblivious to that fact. This is so by design.
                      ...and Hillary Clinton is a lizard-woman from Earth's hollow interior who promotes evolution to hide the provable fact that humanity is a food crop for mutant Jewish Illuminated UFO-piloting demons who live in a secret bunker under the Smithsonian and keep us docile via fluoride in contrails and LSD absorbed from the pages of the New York Times...
                      Last edited by Roy; 04-10-2018, 08:18 AM.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        ...and Hillary Clinton is a lizard-woman from Earth's hollow interior who promotes evolution to hide the provable fact that humanity is a food crop for mutant Jewish star goats who live in a secret bunker under the Smithsonian and keep us docile via fluoride in contrails and LSD absorbed from the pages of the New York Times...
                        That's over-the-top crazy talk.

After all everyone knows that it is mescaline not LSD that you absorb through the skin when handling the New York Times.

Comment

There must be some new definitions of "provable" and "fact" that i wasn't previously aware of.
                          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

"So very easy to talk about hunger after finishing a seven-course dinner."

I'm not the least bit surprised that you do not understand - most Materialists/Atheists don't.

It's really quite simple: you are here on Earth, you are alive, breathing and kicking, you are able to enjoy yourself in the many ways that this can be done; e.g., have a nice meal, catch some entertainment (a show, a movie, etc.), have a pleasant stroll through a park ... and so on.

In short, life is good (yes, problems, illness, bad situations do occur but overall, "life is good").

It is very hard, if not impossible, for people to imagine "not-life". Your phrase "I'll be fine with whatever happens" is a typical, superficial claim expressing that sentiment.

Upon deeper reflection you must realize that while it's one thing to "talk" about Hell and Satan, it's would be quite another thing to EXPERIENCE Hell and Satan. No one gets to do the latter until AFTER the shootin'-match has ended at which point there is no recourse. "I'll be fine with whatever happens" is an arrogant, ignorant proclamation. If Hell and Satan are what God says it is (and God is no liar) then be 100% assured that you will NOT "be fine with whatever happens".

But at this moment your belly is full - "life is good" - so what do you care about tomorrow, right?

That, in a nutshell, is the meaning.

That meaning typically swooshes way over the head of Materialists/Atheists as they dismiss anything that does not conform to their chosen beliefs. Here's the rub: choosing to not believe in something does not make that something disappear.

Jorge
                            I think you have misunderstood my meaning. So let me observe the following. There are two possibilities: god is or god isn't.

If god isn't, then my worldview is correct and each of us will simply cease to exist when we pass. If god is, then again there are two possibilities: god either values honesty/integrity/goodness, or god does not.

If god values honesty/integrity/goodness, then I am in good shape. I am an honest person. I do not seek to deceive or harm others. I make every attempt to do "the right thing," in all of my choices. I'm not perfect at it, of course, but I make the effort. My beliefs about a god are also honestly arrived at, and honestly followed. If I were to claim "I believe god exists" this moment, I would be lying. I don't. If I were to "confess Jesus as my Lord and Savior," I would be lying. I truly believe Jesus was a rabbi in the Judaic tradition, nothing more. For me to claim these beliefs would make me a liar. I prefer not to lie. If I am wrong, and god does exist, and god values honesty/integrity/goodness, then this god will know this and will value me as a result.

If not, then a god that does not value honesty/integrity/goodness is not a god worthy of my worship. If this god cannot make its own existence, and its own rules for living, clear and unambiguous, it is not much of a god. Whatever punishment such a being has in mind for those like me, so be it. I would rather spend eternity in punishment than any time in the company of such a being.

As I write that, I realize that, from your perspective, that last part will be simply, "more talk after a seven-course dinner." Perhaps. We shall see.

Comment

Jorge
                              Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                That's over-the-top crazy talk.

After all everyone knows that it is mescaline not LSD that you absorb through the skin when handling the New York Times.
                                I thought that was ink! Here I could have saved a fortune on makeup...

Comment