Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Recent Covid-19 infections and the unvaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Don't you think it is funny that these sources aren't breaking it down by race? I mean it is something they do with virtually every single poll. If it was just one that's a fluke, but when it is a whole lot more than one...

So why not here? Why not a racial breakdown like they do with everything else?

Now I'm just spit-balling here but could it just possible that they realized if it was broken down that way that the narrative they want to push collapses? That it is obvious that the largest group expressing reservations about getting a vaccine is not the one that the left wants to sneer at and mock.
    I believe the statictics are valid here and you have not responded to them. If you wish to post onr that includes race in the mix do so. I may look myself. Rirst as usual your side steping and not responding to the facts.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Speaking of Herd Immunity...

Source: https://thefederalist.com/2021/05/27/how-anthony-fauci-made-himself-the-face-of-americas-institutional-decay/

Fauci lied about herd immunity too, first placing the number at 60 to 70 percent vaccination. Later, he upped the number to “70, 75 percent,” before it went up again to “75, 80, 85 percent.” Fauci admitted in December he was lying about required levels of vaccination to hit herd immunity because he kept reading about Americans hesitant to accept the vaccine.

“When polls said about half of all Americans would take a vaccine… I thought, ‘I can nudge this up a bit,'” Fauci told the Times.

© Copyright Original Source

And some folks are shocked that many of us don't trust him.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Speaking of Herd Immunity...

Source: https://thefederalist.com/2021/05/27/how-anthony-fauci-made-himself-the-face-of-americas-institutional-decay/

Fauci lied about herd immunity too, first placing the number at 60 to 70 percent vaccination. Later, he upped the number to “70, 75 percent,” before it went up again to “75, 80, 85 percent.” Fauci admitted in December he was lying about required levels of vaccination to hit herd immunity because he kept reading about Americans hesitant to accept the vaccine.

“When polls said about half of all Americans would take a vaccine… I thought, ‘I can nudge this up a bit,'” Fauci told the Times.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied

wow. 17%???? I think that proves my point, not yours.
    No look at the figures again, and compare to ecumenical Christians and Democrats More to follow . . .
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-09-2021, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

That's a rather small sample size, and a month old.
    Given that it's been a flashpoint in the culture wars, I don't see any immediate reason to doubt the general validity of the findings. I have even heard one person say they were considering getting the vaccine but probably wouldn't "because I'm a conservative".

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Source: https://apnorc.org/projects/confidence-in-covid-19-vaccines-rises/

Fewer Americans are reluctant to get immunized against the coronavirus and they are growing more confident in the safety and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines and the quality of their distribution. But those who still hesitate have concerns about whether the vaccines have been properly tested. And 61% of those who are hesitant worry about side effects from the vaccines.

Even as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has relaxed guidelines regarding the wearing of masks outdoors, Americans continue to report high levels of compliance with mask wearing and social distancing. Compliance is particularly high among those who have already been vaccinated.

Democrats are much more likely than Republicans and independents to be vaccinated. Despite initial doubts at the start of the vaccine rollout, attitudes toward COVID-19 vaccines are improving. As the number of inoculated people in the United States increases, so does confidence that the vaccine is being distributed quickly, safely, and equitably.

That's a rather small sample size, and a month old.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Fewer Americans are reluctant to get immunized against the coronavirus and they are growing more confident in the safety and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines and the quality of their distribution. But those who still hesitate have concerns about whether the vaccines have been properly tested. And 61% of those who are hesitant worry about side effects from the vaccines.

Even as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has relaxed guidelines regarding the wearing of masks outdoors, Americans continue to report high levels of compliance with mask wearing and social distancing. Compliance is particularly high among those who have already been vaccinated.

Democrats are much more likely than Republicans and independents to be vaccinated. Despite initial doubts at the start of the vaccine rollout, attitudes toward COVID-19 vaccines are improving. As the number of inoculated people in the United States increases, so does confidence that the vaccine is being distributed quickly, safely, and equitably.

Don't you think it is funny that these sources aren't breaking it down by race? I mean it is something they do with virtually every single poll. If it was just one that's a fluke, but when it is a whole lot more than one...

So why not here? Why not a racial breakdown like they do with everything else?

Now I'm just spit-balling here but could it just possible that they realized if it was broken down that way that the narrative they want to push collapses? That it is obvious that the largest group expressing reservations about getting a vaccine is not the one that the left wants to sneer at and mock.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    https://www.news-medical.net/amp/new...nic-study.aspx

Interestingly, no significant difference in COVID-19 incidence was observed between previously infected and currently unvaccinated participants, previously infected and currently vaccinated participants, and previously uninfected and currently vaccinated participants.

The participants from these three groups exhibited a significantly lower incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection compared to previously uninfected and currently unvaccinated participants.

Specifically, of all infections during the study period, 99.3% occurred in participants who were not infected previously and remained unvaccinated. In contrast, only 0.7% of infections occurred in participants who were not previously infected but were currently vaccinated.

Importantly, not a single incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection was observed in previously infected participants with or without vaccination.

With further statistical analysis, it was observed that the COVID-19 vaccination significantly reduced the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection in previously uninfected participants but not in previously infected participants.

Although the study did not directly estimate the duration of protection from natural infection, it was observed that previously infected participants remained protected against COVID-19 for at least 10 months after the symptom onset or a positive test result.

Study significance

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

wow. 17%???? I think that proves my point, not yours.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied

Now you are conflating "Republicans" for "Evangelical Christians" ...and around 50% is not a majority. ...and "unsure" is not "refusing to get vaccinated"

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Your anecdotal subjective testimony is admirable, but does not represent the racts.

I can cite many references that the anti-vaccine of non-vaccinated dominates White Republicans an born again Christian evangelicals. Start with this one.

Source: https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/23/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-white-republicans/

White Republicans are refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine more than any other demographic group in Texas

In Texas, 59% of Republicans either said they are reluctant to get the vaccine or would refuse it outright, according to the February University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll.

At the beginning of the nation’s vaccine rollout, experts warned that people of color, particularly Black and brown people, could be skeptical or fearful about getting vaccinated. But over the past few months, white Republicans have emerged as the demographic group that’s proven most consistently hesitant about COVID-19 vaccines.

In Texas, 61% of white Republicans, and 59% of all Republicans regardless of race, either said they are reluctant to get the vaccine or would refuse it outright, according to the February University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll. That’s not an insignificant portion of the state’s population — over 52% of the state’s ballots in November were cast for former President Donald Trump.

Only 25% of Texas Democrats said they were hesitant or would refuse to get a COVID-19 shot, according to the poll.

Scientists and doctors stress that vaccines are safe and highly effective at preventing the worst outcomes of COVID-19, including hospitalizations and deaths. No one has died because of the vaccines, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports. Some people may experience short-term side effects, but those effects quickly subside.
    Get Ross Ramsey's analysis of politics and policy delivered to your inbox
    t Ross Ramsey's analysis of politics and policy delivered to your inbox

But the trend among Republicans is nationwide. A Civiqs poll updated in March indicated that white Republicans make up the largest demographic of people in the U.S. who remain vaccine hesitant with 53% saying they were either unsure about or not getting the vaccine.

Meanwhile, people of color have shown increased confidence in the vaccine over the past few months. In October 2020, 53% of Black Texans said they would not get a COVID-19 vaccine — a percentage that dropped to 29% when asked last month, according to UT/Texas Tribune polls. By comparison, 43% of Texas Republicans said they would not get the vaccine in October, compared with 41% last month.

Most hesitancy among Republicans stems from a distrust of scientists and an unfounded concern about how new the vaccine is, said Timothy Callaghan, an assistant professor of health policy management at the Texas A&M School of Public Health.

“What you do find is that over time conservatives have been more vaccine hesitant than liberals, which you can largely attribute to higher levels of distrust in the scientific establishment among conservatives,” Callaghan said. “However, the actions of certain political actors over the past few years have sort of intensified those beliefs within the party.”

Now you are conflating "Republicans" for "Evangelical Christians" ...and around 50% is not a majority. ...and "unsure" is not "refusing to get vaccinated"

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied

gee, I am evangelical and I got the vaccine. Being evangelical has nothing to do with it. There are antivaxxers in all political groups and religions.
    Your anecdotal subjective testimony is admirable, but does not represent the racts.

I can cite many references that the anti-vaccine of non-vaccinated dominates White Republicans an born again Christian evangelicals. Start with this one.

Source: https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/23/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-white-republicans/

White Republicans are refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine more than any other demographic group in Texas

In Texas, 59% of Republicans either said they are reluctant to get the vaccine or would refuse it outright, according to the February University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll.

At the beginning of the nation’s vaccine rollout, experts warned that people of color, particularly Black and brown people, could be skeptical or fearful about getting vaccinated. But over the past few months, white Republicans have emerged as the demographic group that’s proven most consistently hesitant about COVID-19 vaccines.

In Texas, 61% of white Republicans, and 59% of all Republicans regardless of race, either said they are reluctant to get the vaccine or would refuse it outright, according to the February University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll. That’s not an insignificant portion of the state’s population — over 52% of the state’s ballots in November were cast for former President Donald Trump.

Only 25% of Texas Democrats said they were hesitant or would refuse to get a COVID-19 shot, according to the poll.

Scientists and doctors stress that vaccines are safe and highly effective at preventing the worst outcomes of COVID-19, including hospitalizations and deaths. No one has died because of the vaccines, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports. Some people may experience short-term side effects, but those effects quickly subside.
    Get Ross Ramsey's analysis of politics and policy delivered to your inbox
    t Ross Ramsey's analysis of politics and policy delivered to your inbox

But the trend among Republicans is nationwide. A Civiqs poll updated in March indicated that white Republicans make up the largest demographic of people in the U.S. who remain vaccine hesitant with 53% saying they were either unsure about or not getting the vaccine.

Meanwhile, people of color have shown increased confidence in the vaccine over the past few months. In October 2020, 53% of Black Texans said they would not get a COVID-19 vaccine — a percentage that dropped to 29% when asked last month, according to UT/Texas Tribune polls. By comparison, 43% of Texas Republicans said they would not get the vaccine in October, compared with 41% last month.

Most hesitancy among Republicans stems from a distrust of scientists and an unfounded concern about how new the vaccine is, said Timothy Callaghan, an assistant professor of health policy management at the Texas A&M School of Public Health.

“What you do find is that over time conservatives have been more vaccine hesitant than liberals, which you can largely attribute to higher levels of distrust in the scientific establishment among conservatives,” Callaghan said. “However, the actions of certain political actors over the past few years have sort of intensified those beliefs within the party.”

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Large numbers of blacks are born again and other evangelical Christians, which in all races have a low vaccination rate.
    gee, I am evangelical and I got the vaccine. Being evangelical has nothing to do with it. There are antivaxxers in all political groups and religions.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    While the MSM seeks to focus attention on white evangelicals who haven't been vaccinated they only do so to take the spotlight off the largest group of unvaccinated. Blacks. In fact, we're starting to hear whining from the left about a black/white vaccination rate gap and demands that this needs to be addressed. Of course those complaining haven't offered any suggestions of their own.
    Large numbers of blacks are born again and other evangelical Christians, which in all races have a low vaccination rate.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

It was sarcasm concerning the misuse of the concept of herd immunity. You would understand if you read my next post.
    But I didn't misuse the concept of herd immunity. I asked a simple question.

Leave a comment: