Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What is Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    What is a clock? Something physical, that vibrates, that keeps time. Time is just about counting vibrations of a physical object.
    No, from what I read Time can actually slow or speed up an atomic clock. And like in my OP gravitational waves influence or change time.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Um you need to take a physics class. Electrons and other elementary particles are made up of quarks, which are made up of charms, which are basically energy packets. Matter is concentrated energy, to put it simply. Thus E=MC2

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        No, from what I read Time can actually slow or speed up an atomic clock. And like in my OP gravitational waves influence or change time.
        I think you are referring to time dilation which is how the clocks of different observers (different in terms of motion or gravity) run at different rates from the point of view of the other observer. In the observers own locality there is nothing to tell him that his own clock is running differently to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Electrons are made up of quarks, ...
          Actually, no, electrons are thought to be elementary particles.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Actually, no, electrons are thought to be elementary particles.
            I guess you are right. They are leptons. oops.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Um you need to take a physics class. Electrons and other elementary particles are made up of quarks, which are made up of charms, which are basically energy packets. Matter is concentrated energy, to put it simply. Thus E=MC2
              Hadrons are comprised of quarks. Many subatomic particles are not hadrons, especially electrons.

"Charm" is physicist humor for one flavor (type) of quark; there are up, down, top, bottom, strange and charm.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Time does not slow or speed up any clock. Velocity relative to the observer, acceleration, or gravity changes do. Any method of measuring tie is affected. It's not just as if somehow your grandfather clock's pendulum swing rate gets changed, what the clock measures is getting changed.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                  Hadrons are comprised of quarks. Many subatomic particles are not hadrons, especially electrons.

"Charm" is physicist humor for one flavor (type) of quark; there are up, down, top, bottom, strange and charm.
                  yeah I realized my errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                    Are you just kidding? If not, please explain what you think "physical" should be defined.
                    Your post was unintelligible. You might want to practice a clearer writing style as a well as clearer thinking.

To answer this post, what's NOT physical in our (or any!) universe? How would detect the non-physical?

And I reiterate that this post is garbled nonsense:

Originally posted by TS
                    What the heck is meant by physical? If something like energy affects the thermodynamics of a hot object, why on earth is energy to be regarded as n-o-t physical!? eta and what the heck happened to E = mc2!?

Comment

For simplistic reference, a neutron can decay into a proton, electron and an anti electron neutrino. Where a down quark decays into an up quark, an electron and the anti electron neutrino.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                        Your post was unintelligible. You might want to practice a clearer writing style as a well as clearer thinking.

To answer this post, what's NOT physical in our (or any!) universe? How would detect the non-physical?

And I reiterate that this post is garbled nonsense:
                        Sorry. For one thing, I thought everybody would understand what "eta" means: "Edited to add the following."

Comment

Seer, please ponder this question until you see what's wrong with your use of the phrase "not physical":

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                          To answer this post, what's NOT physical in our (or any!) universe?

Comment

Energy is certainly physical. What else would it be?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              I suppose, but it still seems fundamentally different than the other distance dimensions. Time can only ever be traversed in one direction, for example. (Right? )

Is it more or less a matter of convention? Or is it making a profound statement about reality that I'm missing?
                              Hi. I think if we imagine a spaceship, its trajectory at any given time is 1-dimensional space, but the space itself is multidimensional. The same with time. Our Universe is like a spaceship or a river. At any given point of the flow, the flow direction is 1-dimensional space, but the flow itself is multidimensional. If our Universe is a flow (like a water in the river), it can flow only in one direction at any given point. But a swimmer using force can swim in any direction.

Comment

One more interesting thing about the Universe... It is like a river, maybe even the river without source and without mouth, but it can still have its begin and end in other time dimensions. Assume you are digging a channel and then the water fills it from underground and flows. Looking at the channel, you see where the water flows from and to, but it is neither the real beginning nor the end. You even can build boats and submarines (2-dimensional and 3-dimensional time travelers) and change any part of the channel as you like, use drengers to form islands, etc. But all those changes are incomprehensible for you until you jump out of the water.

Comment