Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What is Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    ya know, if I could keep time in a bottle...
    The first thing that I'd like to do
    Is to save every day...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Pardon my ignorance, but I've never understood why time is grouped with length, width, and breadth as a dimension. It seems obviously of a different sort than those dimensions. What am I missing?
      The fact that the "grouping" naturally "falls out" of the theory of Relativity, which has been established as one of the most-tested theories of all time.

It is different from the spatial dimensions, but it belongs with them. The formula for distance in space is just Pythagoras' theorem: distance = sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2). IN space-time the distance is sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2 -t^2).

Yup, weirder than a snake's suspenders. But a darned good model of how the Universe works.
      Last edited by JonF; 02-18-2016, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
        The fact that the "grouping" naturally "falls out" of the theory of Relativity, which has been established as one of the most-tested theories of all time.

It is different from the spatial dimensions, but it belongs with them. The formula for distance in space is just Pythagoras' theorem: distance = sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2). IN space-time the distance is sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2 -t^2).

Yup, weirder than a snake's suspenders. But a darned good model of how the Universe works.
        Or sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2 -[ct]^2) if you want to consider time as the distance light travels in a time t.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          The first thing that I'd like to do
          Is to save every day...
          like a bottle of rum and again I would drink it with you!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            It still is not physical - correct, and it still effects the physical? And I'm not sure if those who hold to the B-Theory of time would agree that it is an emergent property of entropy. Since in the B-Theory time is actually static. From what I understand.
            It's not, at least not according to McTaggart's original work on the subject. I need to respond to that thread...
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
              Or sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2 -[ct]^2) if you want to consider time as the distance light travels in a time t.
              You do have to use consistent units.

Comment

The "c" constant is only necessary if t is measured in seconds, and x,y,z are measured in say meters. One can adopt measurement standards such that the unit for t is the same as for x, y, and z (special relativity). Then if the unit for t is taken to be 1 second then so is the unit for x, y, z (divide x by c, e.g., if the original spatial unit happens to be, say, the meter [c measured in meters/second]).

Comment

What the heck is meant by physical? If something like energy affects the thermodynamics of a hot object, why on earth is energy to be regarded as n-o-t physical!? eta and what the heck happened to E = mc2!?

Comment

This is a quote from The Lurch's thread:

So my question is, what is time? I mean it is not made of physical things correct?
                    No.

Particles and such?
                    No

And if it is not physical then how can something physical like gravitational waves influence or have an effect on time - which is non-physical.
                    Gravitational waves are not time. They are observed as the relationship between energy, and matter in time and space which is the relationship between space and time in our universe.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                      You do have to use consistent units.
                      Using -(ct)^2 gives the metric (Minkowski) in length units.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                        What the heck is meant by physical? If something like energy affects the thermodynamics of a hot object, why on earth is energy to be regarded as n-o-t physical!? eta and what the heck happened to E = mc2!?
                        Gobble-dee-gook

Comment

Gobble-dee-gook
                          Are you just kidding? If not, please explain what you think "physical" should be defined.

Comment

So my question is, what is time? I mean it is not made of physical things correct? Particles and such?

Comment

Well I would say that an electron is clearly physical, has physical properties - when time does not.

Time and matter are linked by the Principle of Equivalence of gravity and acceleration and the uniformity of the speed of light in all reference frames.
                              Yes time and matter are linked - the question remains, how does something non-physical effect the physical.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Well I would say that an electron is clearly physical, has physical properties - when time does not.

Yes time and matter are linked - the question remains, how does something non-physical effect the physical.
                                What is a clock? Something physical, that vibrates, that keeps time. Time is just about counting vibrations of a physical object.

Comment