Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What is Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I suppose, but it still seems fundamentally different than the other distance dimensions. Time can only ever be traversed in one direction, for example. (Right? )
    Not in the B-Theory of time since all events past, preset and future exist simultaneously. Somewhere in space time I'm still a handsome twenty year old, with flowing locks, and girls chasing me!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      I suppose, but it still seems fundamentally different than the other distance dimensions. Time can only ever be traversed in one direction, for example. (Right? )
      Hmm. I never thought about it that way. That's a pretty good point.

Maybe it makes more sense if we think about dimensions like distance in terms of vectors so that negatives don't come into play?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Not in the B-Theory of time since all events past, preset and future exist simultaneously. Somewhere in space time I'm still a handsome twenty year old, with flowing locks, and girls chasing me!
        Seer, those are called "dreams" and are not part of the space-time continuum.

Comment

ya know, if I could keep time in a bottle...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Seer, those are called "dreams" and are not part of the space-time continuum.
            Shoot!
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Also, as someone once said, "time is what keeps everything from happening at once"
              And space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.
              "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Time is an emergent property of entropy.
                "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                  And space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.
                  Never thought of that!

so, I really AM the center of the universe. I knew it!

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                    Time is an emergent property of entropy.
                    It still is not physical - correct, and it still effects the physical? And I'm not sure if those who hold to the B-Theory of time would agree that it is an emergent property of entropy. Since in the B-Theory time is actually static. From what I understand.

Comment

Never thought of that!

world.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Never thought of that!

Now who is dreaming Homer?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]13385[/ATTACH]
                          right. The world doesn't revolve around me... The UNIVERSE DOES!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Now who is dreaming Homer?
                            hey take it up with Wally. He said it.

Comment

"Time is nature's way to keep everything from happening all at once." - John Archibald Wheeler

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Archibald_Wheeler

{Oops! Sparko beat me to it.}
                              Last edited by klaus54; 02-18-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

right. The world doesn't revolve around me... The UNIVERSE DOES!
                                I didn't have a gif for that so I had to make do.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment