Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I can see that attention to detail is not your strong suit. I have been careful, in every case, to avoid saying that Christians always consult physicians along with prayer.
    Jesus said that if you ask anything in his name that he would do it. So why do Christians need to go to doctors? Why not just go to the Great Physician every time for healing? If he is performing hundreds of millions of miracles around the globe, what prevents him from healing you, saving you the time and expense of a doctor's visit?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
      Have you read books on the reality of alien abductions? Have you read books on the reality of sea monsters? Have you read books on the reality of mermaids? Ghosts? Fairies?
      Do you see me arguing on any of those?

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
        Do you see me arguing on any of those?
        In the view of skeptics, your supernatural tale filled with Edited by a Moderator and walking/talking dead bodies is in the same category as sea monsters, mermaids, and fairies. I know you don't like the comparison, but that is truly how we view your belief. Therefore, asking us to read books about reanimations (resurrections) and magic tricks/ignorant hysteria (miracles) is no different than asking us to read the latest scholarly works on mermaids.

But I'm reading your books, aren't I, Nick? I am reading your books to save you from your delusion.

Moderated By: rogue06

Blasphemous terminology

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
        Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by rogue06; 07-01-2016, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Jesus said that if you ask anything in his name that he would do it.
          Context, Gary. Paul promises that God will supply all our needs, not all our wants. Sometimes, what we need most is a little humility, and healing would be counter-productive.
          So why do Christians need to go to doctors? Why not just go to the Great Physician every time for healing? If he is performing hundreds of millions of miracles around the globe, what prevents him from healing you, saving you the time and expense of a doctor's visit?
          The miraculous is not normally needed for healing; pretty much by definition, miracles are the exception rather than the norm. As I've told you before in other words, prayer is not like magic, forcing God to do what we want.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

In the view of skeptics, your supernatural tale filled with Edited by a Moderator and walking/talking dead bodies is in the same category as sea monsters, mermaids, and fairies. I know you don't like the comparison, but that is truly how we view your belief. Therefore, asking us to read books about reanimations (resurrections) and magic tricks/ignorant hysteria (miracles) is no different than asking us to read the latest scholarly works on mermaids.

But I'm reading your books, aren't I, Nick? I am reading your books to save you from your delusion.
            And your first paragraph proves the point I make about atheistic presuppositionalism. It's the starting presupposition that rational people don't believe this stuff. This is never backed. It's just asserted.
            Last edited by rogue06; 07-01-2016, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Context, Gary. Paul promises that God will supply all our needs, not all our wants. Sometimes, what we need most is a little humility, and healing would be counter-productive.

The miraculous is not normally needed for healing; pretty much by definition, miracles are the exception rather than the norm. As I've told you before in other words, prayer is not like magic, forcing God to do what we want.
              I'm not talking about Paul's theology, I'm talking about Jesus' theology. Jesus specifically stated "Ask ANYTHING in my name and it will be done unto you." You are putting Paul's words in Jesus' mouth.

Comment

And your first paragraph proves the point I make about atheistic presuppositionalism. It's the starting presupposition that rational people don't believe this stuff. This is never backed. It's just asserted.
                Do you believe in mermaids, ghosts, sea monsters, and fairies, Nick? If not, please give the evidence that these beings do not exist.

Comment

• Keep proving my point.

Comment

I'm not talking about Paul's theology, I'm talking about Jesus' theology. Jesus specifically stated "Ask ANYTHING in my name and it will be done unto you." You are putting Paul's words in Jesus' mouth.
                    You are creating a false dichotomy by implying there's a difference, and taking a summary statement out of context in a fundy-literal manner. Jesus' statement was not made in a vacuum.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Keep proving my point.
                      And you are proving mine. In the modern world, there is no difference between making the claim for the reality of a reanimated/resurrected, walking/talking dead body and the reality of mermaids, sea monsters, and ghosts. The only evidence for any of these entities is eyewitness testimony, which modern science has shown to be incredibly unreliable.
                      Last edited by Gary; 04-05-2016, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Do you even understand the point? Scientism is a further example of it.

Comment

Do you even understand the point? Scientism is a further example of it.
                          The only evidence for any of these entities is eyewitness testimony, which modern science has shown to be incredibly unreliable.

People who believe in ghosts see ghosts. People who do not believe in ghosts do not see ghosts. People who believe in miracles experience miracles. People who do not believe in miracles do not.

It is all a trick of the mind...a delusion.

Comment

• Obviously you don't.

Thanks for proving my point on atheistic presuppositionalism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Secular Liberation View Post
                              I don't believe in virgin Mary apparitions, faith-healings and exorcisms pony-boy.
                              Oh good, a Gary clone.

You need an argument. And saying "superstition" is not an argument. Fundy atheism 101 didn't teach you that, now did it?

Comment

Obviously you don't.

Thanks for proving my point on atheistic presuppositionalism.
                                No, it is called agnostic/atheistic rationalism. We believe in the reality of concepts and entities based on empirical evidence, not based on faith in the unreliable eyewitness testimony, of superstitious, uneducated Third World (and first century) peasants!

Comment