Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to misconstrue what I said

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
      Your whining and protests are as pathetic as the third hand reports you want me to believe.

WHO are the doctors that you want me to believe? What are their names? Where are their medical practices? Let me see a written statement from them! Let me see the medical records!
      If you depended only on data you could verify first-hand, you'd be able to establish the truth of very little. Your extreme skepticism is unwarranted.
      I'm not going to accept third hand reports from charismatics LOOKING for miracles.
      Jacob Loewen is quite obviously not a charismatic looking for miracles. Quit looking for excuses to ignore evidence.

Ok, Doctor OBP. Here is a case for you. Give me the diagnosis:

A 43 y/o woman has a fever of 103 degrees and is bed-ridden. She has no appetite and barely moves in bed. She says she feels like she is dying.

What is the diagnosis?
      Those aren't the only symptoms of pneumonia, Gary. Quit erecting strawmen.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        If you depended only on data you could verify first-hand, you'd be able to establish the truth of very little. Your extreme skepticism is unwarranted.

Jacob Loewen is quite obviously not a charismatic looking for miracles. Quit looking for excuses to ignore evidence.

Those aren't the only symptoms of pneumonia, Gary. Quit erecting strawmen.

Comment

• I would like to address the (non-Pentecostal/non-charismatic) Protestants on this thread:

Dear Protestant friends:

Would you go to a stock broker who tried to push a stock on you to purchase that he himself hadn't purchased? Would you take his advice on anything? So why listen to someone who is pushing the reality of the claims of modern faith-healers when he himself does not attend a Church that believes in faith healers??

Nick doesn't attend a Pentecostal, Roman Catholic, or Orthodox church. He attends a LUTHERAN church. Other than the Calvinists, you can't get much more anti-faith healer than the Lutherans. I recommend we not believe Nick's claims of modern faith healing until Nick puts his money where his mouth is!

I believe that Nick is using Keener's unsubstantiated, anecdotal, third-hand at best miracle claims as a canard. He doesn't really believe them. He just wants to use them to prop up his weak argument for the Resurrection.

My Protestant friends: Get out your history books. Take a look at western society prior to Martin Luther. It was a THREE-RING CIRCUS! Practically every church on the planet, Catholic or Orthodox, had a relic or an icon with magical powers. Some churches claimed to have nails from the cross; the blood that was mopped up at the foot of the cross; thorns from the crown of thorns; and of course, Jesus' burial clothes. So many churches claimed to have pieces of the cross itself that you could have constructed a two story house from all the wood! Multiple churches claimed to have the baby teeth, hair, and foreskin of Jesus! Magic tricks and relic shows were on every street corner!

Do you really want to turn western society back into that kind of a mystical/hocus-pocus carnival side show??

Well that is what Keener and his fellow charismatics are tying to accomplish. They want to overturn rational thinking with magic and hocus pocus. They want to find something mystical under every rock and wood pile. They want to turn the art of healing into an hysteria-driven, holy-roller spectacle.

Believe in the miracles of Jesus by faith, my Protestant friends, but don't buy this unscientific, third-hand, anecdotal, Pentecostal nonsense, that Keener and Nick are peddling!
          Last edited by Gary; 04-06-2016, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• I'm going to make an educated guess and say that if the person said it was obviously pneumonia, then a large number of symptoms were present. This is not rocket science, Gary. And pneumonia is rather more deadly for people who are a) older and b) lack access to modern care. It is what killed off the Tasmanian natives, after all.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I would like to address the (non-Pentecostal/non-charismatic) Protestants on this thread:

Dear Protestant friends:

Would you go to a stock broker who tried to push a stock on you to purchase that he himself hadn't purchased? Would you take his advice on anything? So why listen to someone who is pushing the reality of the claims of modern faith-healers when he himself does not attend a Church that believes in faith healers??

Nick doesn't attend a Pentecostal, Roman Catholic, or Orthodox church. He attends a LUTHERAN church. Other than the Calvinists, you can't get much more anti-faith healer than the Lutherans. I recommend we not believe Nick's claims of modern faith healing until Nick puts his money where his mouth is!

I believe that Nick is using Keener's unsubstantiated, anecdotal, third-hand at best miracle claims as a canard. He doesn't really believe them. He just wants to use them to prop up his weak argument for the Resurrection.

My Protestant friends: Get out your history books. Take a look at western society prior to Martin Luther. It was a THREE-RING CIRCUS! Practically every church on the planet, Catholic or Orthodox, had a relic or an icon with magical powers. Some churches claimed to have nails from the cross; the blood that was mopped up at the foot of the cross; thorns from the crown of thorns; and of course, Jesus' burial clothes. So many churches claimed to have pieces of the cross itself that you could have constructed a two story house from all the wood! Multiple churches claimed to have the baby teeth, hair, and foreskin of Jesus! Magic tricks and relic shows were on every street corner!

Do you really want to turn western society back into that kind of a mystical/hocus-pocus carnival side show??

Well that is what Keener and his fellow charismatics are tying to accomplish. They want to overturn rational thinking with magic and hocus pocus. They want to find something mystical under every rock and wood pile. They want to turn the art of healing into an hysteria-driven, holy-roller spectacle.

Believe in the miracles of Jesus by faith, my Protestant friends, but don't buy this unscientific, third-hand, anecdotal, Pentecostal nonsense, that Keener and Nick are peddling!
              You have obviously not been paying much attention to what you read. Dr. Keener references many accounts which are not from Pentacostals or charismatics, including some from Lutheran sources. The rest of your post is largely a fantasy of your own making, spun from Reformation-era anti-Catholic propaganda and over-wrought caricature.
              sigpic

Comment

• Love what was said here. Gary said "If Muslims or Satanists were pushing this miracle, would you simply accept this third hand (at best) information?"

I replied

If Muslims or satanists were pushing a miracle, I would just as much look at the quality of the sources and decide. I don't change the rules based on which side is doing the arguing.
                With the reply of

Yes. You would believe any miracle report based on what someone told someone who told someone who told someone that you read in a book.

Sad.
                Let's do a thought experiment. Let's put us in another world for each of these. Let's suppose I had said an unconditional yes.

I would have been told

"Yes. See? You're gullible and superstitious and just believe everything you hear about miracles."

If I had said no it would be

"See? You're biased and you only believe the miracles from your own tradition?

Instead I gave the response of, you know, actually looking at the claim and judging it based by the evidence. (I could have sworn that would be the rational position, but I guess not. The rational position must not care about the evidence.) I get told because of that I will believe anything because I read it in a book. (To which, no. I am not ready to say every miracle in Keener has to be true. I don't think Keener would say that even. I am saying the abundance leads me to conclude that it's highly unlikely that every single person is wrong and for each individual claim, I look at the evidence. Still, at least we get Gary disparaging trusting books. That tells us a lot.)

No matter what answer, Gary would have just found a way to twist it.

Kind of like he does with Keener.

Comment

• btw, I attended a Lutheran church in Knoxville, and this was a church where we had a Down Syndrome baby receive a miracle healing of a heart defect. We all celebrated it. The money that was to go towards the operation was given to another family at the hospital.

Our church is not opposed to faith healing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                    Love what was said here. Gary said "If Muslims or Satanists were pushing this miracle, would you simply accept this third hand (at best) information?"

I replied

With the reply of

Let's do a thought experiment. Let's put us in another world for each of these. Let's suppose I had said an unconditional yes.

I would have been told

"Yes. See? You're gullible and superstitious and just believe everything you hear about miracles."

If I had said no it would be

"See? You're biased and you only believe the miracles from your own tradition?

Instead I gave the response of, you know, actually looking at the claim and judging it based by the evidence. (I could have sworn that would be the rational position, but I guess not. The rational position must not care about the evidence.) I get told because of that I will believe anything because I read it in a book. (To which, no. I am not ready to say every miracle in Keener has to be true. I don't think Keener would say that even. I am saying the abundance leads me to conclude that it's highly unlikely that every single person is wrong and for each individual claim, I look at the evidence. Still, at least we get Gary disparaging trusting books. That tells us a lot.)

No matter what answer, Gary would have just found a way to twist it.

Kind of like he does with Keener.
                    I have seen ZERO evidence from Keener so far and I am in chapter 10 of his book! All he gives are second, third, and fourth-hand anecdotal claims. No doctor's reports; no MRI or other imaging reports; no blood test result copies. Nada. He expects us to believe that "hundreds of millions" of people experience miracle medical cures but fails to provide the medical evidence to support it. That is NOT how scholars/experts work, Nick.

You should know better.

Again, I don't think you believe most of Keener's claims, you just want to use his "hundreds of millions" of anecdotal claims to make up for your weak evidence for the Resurrection miracle claim.

I am still reading Keener because he suggests that in later chapters he is going to give evidence for divine causation. I await this evidence with bated-breath!
                    Last edited by Gary; 04-06-2016, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• So Gary only believes in first-hand claims, but yet believes in mind-reading.

Okay.

btw, way to ignore the main point I was making.....again....

Comment

btw, I attended a Lutheran church in Knoxville, and this was a church where we had a Down Syndrome baby receive a miracle healing of a heart defect. We all celebrated it. The money that was to go towards the operation was given to another family at the hospital.

Our church is not opposed to faith healing.
                        How many healing services has your Lutheran church held this year? I didn't say that Lutherans don't believe that God can heal people through prayer. I said they don't believe in faith-healers. Keener promotes faith healers who promise people healings. Lutheran pastors do NOT promise healings, they pray for healings. Big difference.

Again, if you really believed in faith healings you would attend a church where these miracles are performed on a regular basis and you would take your family members to faith healers for all serious health issues for which doctors have not found a cure. When was the last time you or a family member, at your bidding, went to a faith-healer, Nick?
                        Last edited by Gary; 04-06-2016, 02:03 PM.

Comment

So Gary only believes in first-hand claims, but yet believes in mind-reading.

Okay.

btw, way to ignore the main point I was making.....again....
                          Give me some medical reports, Nick. Stop with the wild-eyed, hysterical, charismatic, anecdotal, third-hand, "Enquirer" stories.
                          Last edited by Gary; 04-06-2016, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I would like to address the (non-Pentecostal/non-charismatic) Protestants on this thread:
                            Dear Protestant friends:
                            Nick doesn't attend a Pentecostal, Roman Catholic, or Orthodox church. He attends a LUTHERAN church. Other than the Calvinists, you can't get much more anti-faith healer than the Lutherans.
                            You mean MISSOURI SYNOD LUTHERANS. Back in the heyday of the Charismatic Renewal in the 1980's there was LARC, a consortium of clergy and people from Lutheran, Anglican (Episcopalian) and Roman Catholics. I later became a Lutheran (ELCA, preferring NALC now) still believing in miracles for our day.
                            Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Give me some medical reports, Nick. Stop with the wild-eyed, hysterical, charismatic, anecdotal, third-hand, "Enquirer" stories.
                              You've got them. You're just doing a great job of ignoring them. Again, everyone has to be a liar or deceived or the recipient of a fraud because.....

Well, they can't go against an unevidenced position that miracles don't happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam View Post
                                You mean MISSOURI SYNOD LUTHERANS. Back in the heyday of the Charismatic Renewal in the 1980's there was LARC, a consortium of clergy and people from Lutheran, Anglican (Episcopalian) and Roman Catholics. I later became a Lutheran (ELCA, preferring NALC now) still believing in miracles for our day.
                                How many Lutherans pastors performed healing ceremonies, pronouncing healing in the name of Jesus (promising healing)? Again, I never said that Lutherans don't believe that God can perform miracles/healings. But Lutherans don't hold healing services where they put their hand on someone's head, push them backwards, and pronounce that God has just healed them.

Lutherans don't PROMISE healing as charismatics do, they PRAY for healing.

Big difference.

Comment