Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
    Paul never met Jesus. Paul invented his own belief system with his many visions and revelations...all inside his own head. If we are to have any confidence in knowing anything that Jesus said, we must look to the Synoptics, not Paul, and not John.
    You're making a fool of yourself. Again. Some scholars have suggested that Paul did meet Jesus (Stanley Porter's When Paul Met Jesus just came out).

Paul was in contact with Peter, James, and John, among other early Christian leaders. You're out of your mind if you don't think that Paul knew about Jesus' teaching. Also, the Eucharistic formula in 1 Cor. 11:23-26 is a pre-Pauline creed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bisto View Post
      So much for scholarship, I guess.

...Besides, did I even mention the other Gospels? I was talking about PAUL. I don't think there is even a need to check the place of Faith in the Synoptics here. Do you even care?

Again, take your time, think through other people's replies. It would probably help anybody's case. You're probably helping build superficial atheists who may well receive the Lord when they see the actual Gospel as distinguished from your portrayals of it.
      I wish Gary would learn to use the cite tags. And I actually cringed for him reading that article. The synoptics have plenty of passages on atonement. How could this guy ever have called himself a Christian and not remembered passages like "The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."?

I suppose it makes sense that Gary would turn to a website called DebunkingSkeptics.com though. It's the home of "The Scientific Committee to Evaluate PseudoSkeptical Criticism of the Paranormal". Basically it's a website made up of quacks and conspiracy nuts who believe in the Paranormal, UFOs, NDEs, Reincarnation, David Icke and his reptilian theory, Psychic Phenomena, and surprise surprise!!! Alternative Medicine!

Check out their main page. It's a hoot.

Source: http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/

Background

The Paranormal is one of the most exciting frontiers today. Research into Consciousness, Quantum Physics and Psychic Phenomena, etc. explores venues that are unlocking the mysteries of the universe and gateways to other dimensions or levels of reality and consciousness. These provide deeper insights into a larger nature of reality, revealing insights into the meaning of existence and spawning hope for a better future in which humanity's consciousness and awareness are elevated to new heights, transcending greed, lust for power, hatred, violence, ignorance, and the confines of a materialistic paradigm that keeps us living in fear. Therefore, the study of the Paranormal is a key stepping stone for humanity's next stage of evolution.

However, standing in the way are groups of organized fundamentalists who call themselves "skeptics" but in reality know nothing about the true meaning of the word nor practice it. In fact, they've hijacked the word to mean its opposite. Rather than inquiring, or asking questions to try to understand something, they seek to debunk, discredit and ridicule anything that doesn't fit into their belief system.

© Copyright Original Source

Makes me wonder if Gary is a regular guest on Coast to Coast AM.

Comment

• Gary''s Post #1887 broad-brushes theology about right. That's when I studied Christianity I eventually decided my adult baptism should be as a Roman Catholic, not a Protestant. There I could accept Christus Victor, the Classical Atonement Theory. As a Lutheran now I'm still basically a Catholic.
        Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          I wish Gary would learn to use the cite tags. And I actually cringed for him reading that article. The synoptics have plenty of passages on atonement. How could this guy ever have called himself a Christian and not remembered passages like "The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."?

I suppose it makes sense that Gary would turn to a website called DebunkingSkeptics.com though. It's the home of "The Scientific Committee to Evaluate PseudoSkeptical Criticism of the Paranormal". Basically it's a website made up of quacks and conspiracy nuts who believe in the Paranormal, UFOs, NDEs, Reincarnation, David Icke and his reptilian theory, Psychic Phenomena, and surprise surprise!!! Alternative Medicine!

Background

The Paranormal is one of the most exciting frontiers today. Research into Consciousness, Quantum Physics and Psychic Phenomena, etc. explores venues that are unlocking the mysteries of the universe and gateways to other dimensions or levels of reality and consciousness. These provide deeper insights into a larger nature of reality, revealing insights into the meaning of existence and spawning hope for a better future in which humanity's consciousness and awareness are elevated to new heights, transcending greed, lust for power, hatred, violence, ignorance, and the confines of a materialistic paradigm that keeps us living in fear. Therefore, the study of the Paranormal is a key stepping stone for humanity's next stage of evolution.

However, standing in the way are groups of organized fundamentalists who call themselves "skeptics" but in reality know nothing about the true meaning of the word nor practice it. In fact, they've hijacked the word to mean its opposite. Rather than inquiring, or asking questions to try to understand something, they seek to debunk, discredit and ridicule anything that doesn't fit into their belief system.

This brings to mind the adage, "Those who refuse to believe in God will believe in anything."
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
            You're making a fool of yourself. Again. Some scholars have suggested that Paul did meet Jesus (Stanley Porter's When Paul Met Jesus just came out).

Paul was in contact with Peter, James, and John, among other early Christian leaders. You're out of your mind if you don't think that Paul knew about Jesus' teaching. Also, the Eucharistic formula in 1 Cor. 11:23-26 is a pre-Pauline creed.
            And that is it. Not much else of substance.

Paul seems to know nothing of the historical Jesus.

Comment

Background

Later Church interpolations.

Comment

you know nothing about history at all or the bible.

Also judging your reaction as seen below when we do explain our beliefs tells us all we need to know about how you really feel about dealing with the TRUTH.

Icanthereyou.jpg
                Last edited by RumTumTugger; 05-04-2016, 10:50 PM.

Comment

1 Cor. 11:23-26: The Eucharistic Formula and the Last Supper.
                  Rom. 1:3: "Descended from David according to the flesh."
                  1 Cor. 2:8 "He was crucified by the rulers of the age."
                  1 Cor. 7:10-11: Jesus forbade divorce
                  1 Cor. 15:3-8: Death, burial, Resurrection

Paul isn't writing a gospel. BUT, Paul does have some very interesting knowledge about the historical Jesus.

Comment

Later Church interpolations.
                    Oh, right. Of course they are.

You have no shame, do you? Pure pride keeps you posting even after embarrassing yourself over and over again.

Go back to your think tank at DoubtingSkeptics.com. Maybe you can come up with something better than interpolations. Hey look, they have an article on "The Apollo Moon Hoax ? Valid reasons to doubt NASA?s historic manned lunar landings" Did you write that one?

Man, this is too rich. Guy won't read books by actual NT scholars, gets his Bible info from people who think aliens built the pyramids.

Comment

Background

He fits better on Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

Comment

Oh, right. Of course they are.

You have no shame, do you? Pure pride keeps you posting even after embarrassing yourself over and over again.

Go back to your think tank at DoubtingSkeptics.com. Maybe you can come up with something better than interpolations. Hey look, they have an article on "The Apollo Moon Hoax ? Valid reasons to doubt NASA?s historic manned lunar landings" Did you write that one?

Man, this is too rich. Guy won't read books by actual NT scholars, gets his Bible info from people who think aliens built the pyramids.
                        Funny how both fundy atheists and the loons who believe in ancient astronauts underestimate the capabilities of people in ancient times.
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Jesus was a good man who believed he had been sent by God as the Messiah to the Jewish people. He would roll over in his grave if he knew what you Christians have concocted about him: a demi-god and Ruler of the Cosmos.

Wake up.

Comment

Jesus was a good man who believed he had been sent by God as the Messiah to the Jewish people. He would roll over in his grave if he knew what you Christians have concocted about him: a demi-god and Ruler of the Cosmos.

Wake up.

Jesus claimed to be God. Either He was a liar, lunatic, or Lord.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post

Jesus claimed to be God. Either He was a liar, lunatic, or Lord.
                              Jesus never claimed to be God. That was the invention of Paul and the author of John. Jesus believed he was a special human being sent by God to be the Messiah of the Jewish people.

He was not a liar.
                              He was not a lunatic.
                              He was not a lord.

He was mistaken.

Comment

Jesus never claimed to be God. That was the invention of Paul and the author of John. Jesus believed he was a special human being sent by God to be the Messiah of the Jewish people.

He was not a liar.
                                He was not a lunatic.
                                He was not a lord.

He was mistaken.
                                You think the disciples died horrible deaths for what they had to have known was a lie? You are very funny.

Comment