Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    You know if you sincerely want to rescue us from this horrible cult it would behoove you to argue against what we believe rather than the parody of it you are railing against.
    Why did Jesus even bother to die for such ornery brats in the first place? Yes, I'm aware that I just called myself an ornery brat also.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Sure. It's much more fun in the New Jerusalem! But He certainly won't force you to live there. Just don't ever do anything wrong.
      Ever from birth forward.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Ever from birth forward.
        Which is impossible. Only Jesus did it! And then proceeded to let Himself be given a horrible, shameful death for our sake. I think He'd have a right to be offended when ungrateful brats reject His offer of salvation.

Comment

Which is impossible. Only Jesus did it! And then proceeded to let Himself be given a horrible, shameful death for our sake. I think He'd have a right to be offended when ungrateful brats reject His offer of salvation.
          But he even shows love there CBW he does not force you to go where you have continually told him you don't want to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
            But he even shows love there CBW he does not force you to go where you have continually told him you don't want to go.
            One cannot keep a wild animal as a "pet". I'm tempted to make a thread about how universalism actually would be unethical and then use all the reasons for why you would not keep a wild animal as a pet. Namely that doing so would put the animal through too much stress and it would hurt the other animals in the close confines of a home.
            Last edited by Christianbookworm; 05-04-2016, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
              All have sinned and deserve punishment Gary All it isn't a bell curve here is is pass or fail and needing a 100 percent on your test or else God would not be a Just or Righteous God. But God in his grace has been able to temper his Justice with his Mercy you are not going to be punished because you didn't accept Jesus you going to be punished because you are a sinner and justice demands it. Jesus is the way not go to where you deserve to Go that is where mercy comes in.

Gary the TRUE God(not the false one you have made up in your mind) is a Righteous Just, merciful and loving God. who wants a loving relationship with his creation so much so that he risked that relationship let you have the choice to let him be the one to hold on to the RIGHT relationship with him you were created for. If you choose to say no I want it my way then he will let you have it but don't blame him if you don't like where YOUR way leads that the consequence. Good choices bring Good consequences; Bad choices bring Bad consequences. It is not the fault of anyone else especially not God's if you don't like the consequence of the choice you make.

Gary when that day comes no matter what choice you have made. You will admit God is God and rightfully dealing with you.

I pray you make the right choice before it is to late.
              Loving beings do not demand to be loved. Only an abusive, sadistic being would demand to be loved and punish anyone who refuses. It is a sadistic belief system, my friend. It is sad that as of yet, you can't see that.

Comment

You know if you sincerely want to rescue us from this horrible cult it would behoove you to argue against what we believe rather than the parody of it you are railing against.
                When you guys can make up your minds and all agree on what and where Hell is, I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Why did Jesus even bother to die for such ornery brats in the first place? Yes, I'm aware that I just called myself an ornery brat also.
                  Jesus died because he got on the wrong side of those in power. The idea that he died to atone for your misdeeds is an invention of people who never knew him. There is no mention of Jesus' death being an atonement for sins prior to the author of the Gospel of John inventing it at the end of the first century.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
                    ...There is no mention of Jesus' death being an atonement for sins prior to the author of the Gospel of John inventing it at the end of the first century.
                    Oh come on Gary. Are you serious? Does your Bible not have Paul's writings and the witness of earlier Christians he attests of? Do you even have a Bible still?

Again, if you really want to disprove Christianity, none of this is helping your case. Like you were told by a fellow atheist about your old debate with Nick (I read it the other day ), maybe you should stop making atheism look bad.
                    Last edited by Bisto; 05-04-2016, 07:03 PM.
                    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

• Gary is just making us Christians look even more intellectual than him. What if I aimply asserted that atheists are stupid and brainwashed and that point was repeated ad nauseum?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
                        When you guys can make up your minds and all agree on what and where Hell is, I'll give it a shot.
                        We don't know for sure due to the Bible being written in a high context culture. People ignore cultural context at their peril. Or not. Getting all the answers correct is nigh impossible. You don't have to pass a theology test to get into Heaven.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                          Oh come on Gary. Are you serious? Does your Bible not have Paul's writings and the witness of earlier Christians he attests of? Do you even have a Bible still?

Again, if you really want to disprove Christianity, none of this is helping your case. Like you were told by a fellow atheist about your old debate with Nick (I read it the other day ), maybe you should stop making atheism look bad.
                          When Christian cite Gospel verses about being saved, they always refer to John. (No wonder many Christians say the book of John is their favorite book.) Just take a look at a Christian pamphlet or tract, and you'll see that the verses they mention about faith and believing on Jesus are from the book of John, such as John 3:16 and John 14:6. When they quote Jesus, they usually refer to this book. Yet this book did not come for at least 50 years after the first three Gospels. Therefore, logically whatever Jesus actually said would have been recorded more accurately in the earlier Gospels, which emphasize good works and charity instead.

From this it is apparent as to how the Salvation theology evolved in the Church while the New Testament books and letters were still being written. Another fact that indicates this as well is that according to Mark, Christ was a man. But according to Matthew and Luke, he was a demigod, while John insists that he was God himself. That also shows an evolution of the concept of Jesus from a man gradually to a deity status. This is common with religious founders throughout history, because no matter what they claim themselves, their followers eventually try to deify them and make them into a God to worship.

Conclusion

There you have it, THREE Gospels of good works being enough to satisfy God, versus ONE Gospel of faith and atonement. Three against one! Again the central doctrine of the Evangelical Christian Gospel loses by the numbers (as the doctrine of infallibility did in Argument # 1). Case closed.

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/Deb...ans/Page25.htm
                          Last edited by Gary; 05-04-2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• The Gospels were written for believers. Why explain what they already knew? High contex society! Look it up!

Comment

• So much for scholarship, I guess.

...Besides, did I even mention the other Gospels? I was talking about PAUL. I don't think there is even a need to check the place of Faith in the Synoptics here. Do you even care?

Again, take your time, think through other people's replies. It would probably help anybody's case. You're probably helping build superficial atheists who may well receive the Lord when they see the actual Gospel as distinguished from your portrayals of it.
                              Last edited by Bisto; 05-04-2016, 07:40 PM.
                              We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                              - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                              In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                              Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                                So much for scholarship, I guess.

...Besides, did I even mention the other Gospels? I was talking about PAUL. I don't think there is even a need to check the place of Faith in the Synoptics here. Do you even care?

Again, take your time, think through other people's replies. It would probably help anybody's case. You're probably helping build superficial atheists who may well receive the Lord when they see the actual Gospel as distinguished from your portrayals of it.
                                Paul never met Jesus. Paul invented his own belief system with his many visions and revelations...all inside his own head. If we are to have any confidence in knowing anything that Jesus said, we must look to the Synoptics, not Paul, and not John.

Comment