Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

FBI, DHS release report on Russia hacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    And I sort of didn't expect people like Jaecp to buy into it and to try and propagate it like this so easily at tweb.
    Really? He's been whooping and hollering about "Russian hackers" ever since the Democrats offered it as an excuse for Hillary getting trumped by Trump... even though nobody has explained exactly how Russia influenced the election, or why their alleged attempts are somehow worse than the biased, anti-Trump media's attempts to do the same. He just screams "National security!" and pretends that's an answer.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Let's just put it this way: liberals wouldn't give two hoots about Russian hacking if Hillary had won.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Really? He's been whooping and hollering about "Russian hackers" ever since the Democrats offered it as an excuse for Hillary getting trumped by Trump... even though nobody has explained exactly how Russia influenced the election, or why their alleged attempts are somehow worse than the biased, anti-Trump media's attempts to do the same. He just screams "National security!" and pretends that's an answer.
        Russia influenced the election by releasing boring emails which contained nothing consequential, spread via fake news sites which pretended that there were bombshells in them, which people accepted because they uncritically believe anything they read on the internet.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So, basically the evidence they're using that it was ordered by Russia (which wasn't explained in the particular article linked in the OP; it's actually here) is that the hackers used methods Russian hackers have used in the past, therefore it was ordered by Russian officials. But correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't an experienced hacker know similar techniques Russian hackers use either because those techniques are effective, or because those are the only techniques one could use to actually hack successfully?
          I mentioned the exact same thing in the other thread about this topic, about what is it that makes the tactics distinctly Russian as opposed to, say, Chinese, or Korean, or Iranian, or any number of other entities who might want to delve into America's secrets. Never did get a good answer to that. Just the usual "But... but... national security! And Trump won!" bluster.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
            I don't believe Trump either.
            I'm not a Kool-Aid drinking partisan.

Try it sometime.
            Oh, I get it, you don't trust Trump, you just happen to agree with Trumps assessment of the intelligence over that of the intelligence agencies themselves. Gotcha. Drink up!

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Russia influenced the election by releasing boring emails which contained nothing consequential, spread via fake news sites which pretended that there were bombshells in them, which people accepted because they uncritically believe anything they read on the internet.
              Most of the "fake news" sites that bothered to analyze the emails (which by the way, weren't that boring, just required a little time and effort piecing together different sources of the emails and cross-referencing them with other sources that were damning to Hillary and the DNC) were conservative sites, with the exception of RT (which is actually a liberal progressive site as far as most of its politics -- in fact, they're actually TYT only with a pro-Russian bent). So, you're saying all those conservative sites were "fake news," or you were being sarcastic?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Oh, I get it, you don't trust Trump, you just happen to agree with Trumps assessment of the intelligence over that of the intelligence agencies themselves. Gotcha. Drink up!
                I don't trust Trump to do all he said he would do. I DO trust that Hillary will continue to do more of what she's done.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I mentioned the exact same thing in the other thread about this topic, about what is it that makes the tactics distinctly Russian as opposed to, say, Chinese, or Korean, or Iranian, or any number of other entities who might want to delve into America's secrets. Never did get a good answer to that. Just the usual "But... but... national security! And Trump won!" bluster.
                  The JAR talks about several methods of phishing that they all use. The biggest way we tell the source of a hack or a phishing scheme is the source IP address, which we all know can be spoofed, but oddly rarely is for phishing scams, or (hilariously) the language in the comments of the scripts or html codes.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Source: Ars Technica

White House fails to make case that Russian hackers tampered with election

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016...ly-to-rage-on/

© Copyright Original Source

The article also mentions the general sloppiness of the report, noting one instance where it conflates the names of hacking groups, malware programs, and even methods of hacking. The writers say, quite reasonably, that "The mix up of such basic classifications does little to inspire confidence that the report was carefully or methodically prepared." They also note that even pointing to specific methods doesn't prove anything. As one analysis notes, "It is both foolish and baseless to claim ... that X-Agent is used solely by the Russian government when the source code is there for anyone to find and use at will."

The articles concludes that "it's hard to escape the conclusion that Thursday's Joint Analysis Report provides almost no new evidence to support the Obama Administration's claims Russia attempted to interfere with the US electoral process."

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      The JAR talks about several methods of phishing that they all use. The biggest way we tell the source of a hack or a phishing scheme is the source IP address, which we all know can be spoofed, but oddly rarely is for phishing scams, or (hilariously) the language in the comments of the scripts or html codes.
                      Music to my ears, this is what I was hoping you as an IT guy would contribute

Comment

One of life's little curiosities: on Saturday via several UK news portals I picked up am interview by RT with John McAfee (aka the cyber security guy whose software you probably rely on). The strange thing is that this morning (Monday) the links have disappeared from the UK sites. Here is the interview which discusses the FBI's "Grizzly Steppe".Here is a link to the interview.

For numerous reasons I am suspicious of the allegations against Russia, but what is really nagging at me is I honestly can't see where release of the info before the election could have benefited Trump - everybody already knew Hillary is corrupt & unscrupulous (has no moral compass). I suspect Corney's second investigation of Hillary had the bigger impact. The other thing gnawing at me is, imo, Russia would have got more mileage out the hack at some point after the election, especially if Hillary had won.

Disclaimer: I'm not a supporter of Russia or Trump. As Donald would say "I just want to see fairness, it is a huge accusation to lay without proof...)
                        Last edited by elam; 01-01-2017, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                          Music to my ears, this is what I was hoping you as an IT guy would contribute
                          Moderator Notice

You have just negated your request for Bill to leave this thread by responding to him. Please read the rules here:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...om-your-thread

Point #2.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            Moderator Notice

You have just negated your request for Bill to leave this thread by responding to him. Please read the rules here:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...om-your-thread

Point #2.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Uhh, Duh?

He's participating. Incidentally, if you actually read the post I wasn't banning them. I was asking them to hold off until I had a chance to talk to them later that night.

Yours did, I'm just on my phone. I'll give a real reply later to you and DE. Apologies for the lack of clarity.

CP and Bill, please leave the thread
                            until I make a reply to the both of you via pm later about why you're off topic. Don't reply to this.
                            At which point, SIX MINUTES LATER, Cow Poke made a post where he deceptively edited my reply to read only the text I've bolded. Bill the Cat then made a reply, 12 minutes after I asked them to hold off, that misunderstood the OP. He misunderstood that I had set up the national security angle as the focus of the thread and not an argument I made for him to challenge. His reply above is great.

Comment

Most of the "fake news" sites that bothered to analyze the emails (which by the way, weren't that boring, just required a little time and effort piecing together different sources of the emails and cross-referencing them with other sources that were damning to Hillary and the DNC) were conservative sites, with the exception of RT (which is actually a liberal progressive site as far as most of its politics -- in fact, they're actually TYT only with a pro-Russian bent). So, you're saying all those conservative sites were "fake news," or you were being sarcastic?
                              I was more or less giving a synopsis of Jaecp's anticipated response, based on various postings he's made over the last week or two. I suppose you could call it sarcasm on my part, since I think he's wrong or lacks solid support for all counts.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Uhh, Duh?

He's participating. Incidentally, if you actually read the post I wasn't banning them. I was asking them to hold off until I had a chance to talk to them later that night.

At which point, SIX MINUTES LATER, Cow Poke made a post where he deceptively edited my reply to read only the text I've bolded. Bill the Cat then made a reply, 12 minutes after I asked them to hold off, that misunderstood the OP. He misunderstood that I had set up the national security angle as the focus of the thread and not an argument I made for him to challenge. His reply above is great.
                                My apologies. I misread your original post, as did some others.

Thank you for clarifying.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment