Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Los Angeles Will Require Photo ID For Homeless Hotel Living But Not Voting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post

The fact that there are counter studies and a continuing academic debate on the topic undermines the sentiments expressed here that opposition to strict voter ID laws are reducible to partisanship and belief that minority voters are inferior, as opposed to reasonable conclusions based on lines of evidence.

Congratulations, you helped knock down your own argument!

-Sam
    I was making a general statement about leftists in a broader sense. I highly doubt the leftists in the following video and their racist views about minorities know the study you cited even exists, much less ever looked at it...

They seem to be spouting typical racist tropes about minorities they probably picked up from family and friends. Tropes that you'd probably hear from a white supremacist in the pre-civil rights era. I doubt college students know anything about the study, much less non-college students.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I was making a general statement about leftists in a broader sense. I highly doubt the leftists in the following video and their racist views about minorities know the study you cited even exists, much less ever looked at it...

They seem to be spouting typical racist tropes about minorities they probably picked up from family and friends. Tropes that you'd probably hear from a white supremacist in the pre-civil rights era. I doubt college students know anything about the study, much less non-college students.
      Drawing broad, derogatory conclusions from a handful of cherry-picked man-on-the-street interviews.

Good luck with that. Very little risk of being hoist on your own petard.

-Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Drawing broad, derogatory conclusions from a handful of cherry-picked man-on-the-street interviews.

-Sam
        I was making a general comment about a broader political group, and the video does well in continuing to support that view. You're the one who made it academic, yet even that you failed at, so you really have no place to judge me and my sources in order to try and save face.

Comment

-Sam
          Ah yes, just the man on the street:

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

-Sam

I was making a general comment about a broader political group, and the video does well in continuing to support that view. You're the one who made it academic, yet even that you failed at, so you really have no place to judge me and my sources in order to try and save face.
            Hrm. Indeed.

-Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

The fact that there are counter studies and a continuing academic debate on the topic undermines the sentiments expressed here that opposition to strict voter ID laws are reducible to partisanship and belief that minority voters are inferior, as opposed to reasonable conclusions based on lines of evidence.

-Sam
              You cited a flawed study, seanD cited a follow-up study exposing the flaws... and you think you somehow got the better of that exchange?

Sure, man, whatever you need to tell yourself.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You cited a flawed study, seanD cited a follow-up study exposing the flaws... and you think you somehow got the better of that exchange?

Sure, man, whatever you need to tell yourself.
                This is what happens when you don't bother reading what people are writing and when you don't consider strategy in your thought process. To break it down:

As:

1) the point of presenting a peer-reviewed research paper was not to establish an authoritative last word but to rebut the prejudicial assertion that opponents of strict voter ID laws are racist and uninterested in "fact"

and

2) the existence or validity of working-paper counterarguments do not respond to the salient point of argument

therefore

3) it is not necessary to argue whether the conclusions of the peer-reviewed research paper's alleged flaws have merit.

If I thought for a second that seanD or anyone else had read any of the papers offered in full, I'd be willing to entertain a discussion on whether the counterarguments have merit and how much merit they have in the overall discussion, noting that seanD's own source states that strict voter ID laws have no effect on real or perceived fraud and it's an "own-goal moment" to argue for restrictive laws that both impede democratic access and don't actually work.

But we're not having that conversation because it's irrelevant to the point that opposition to strict voter ID cannot be reducible to blanket statements of racism and ignorance and that there is, indeed, a continuing and robust academic debate about the issue.

-Sam

Comment

This is what happens when you don't bother reading what people are writing and when you don't consider strategy in your thought process. To break it down:

As:

1) the point of presenting a peer-reviewed research paper was not to establish an authoritative last word but to rebut the prejudicial assertion that opponents of strict voter ID laws are racist and uninterested in "fact"

and

2) the existence or validity of working-paper counterarguments do not respond to the salient point of argument

therefore

3) it is not necessary to argue whether the conclusions of the peer-reviewed research paper's alleged flaws have merit.

If I thought for a second that seanD or anyone else had read any of the papers offered in full, I'd be willing to entertain a discussion on whether the counterarguments have merit and how much merit they have in the overall discussion, noting that seanD's own source states that strict voter ID laws have no effect on real or perceived fraud and it's an "own-goal moment" to argue for restrictive laws that both impede democratic access and don't actually work.

But we're not having that conversation because it's irrelevant to the point that opposition to strict voter ID cannot be reducible to blanket statements of racism and ignorance and that there is, indeed, a continuing and robust academic debate about the issue.

-Sam
                  I wasn't referring to the discussion about it in academic circles. You dragged that into the conversation thinking you somehow scored a win, when it ended up being a failure. I was talking about discussions about it with ordinary everyday leftists who don't read or know anything about academic papers and what their views are about minorities. If you can find a "man on the street" video with common ordinary leftists stating they think voter ID is racist and suppressive while citing your flawed study to support their view, perhaps I'll consider it a counter argument.

Comment

I wasn't referring to the discussion about it in academic circles. You dragged that into the conversation thinking you somehow scored a win, when it ended up being a failure. I was talking about discussions about it with ordinary everyday leftists who don't read or know anything about academic papers and what their views are about minorities. If you can find a "man on the street" video with common ordinary leftists stating they think voter ID is racist and suppressive while citing your flawed study to support their view, perhaps I'll consider it a counter argument.
                    The value of pointing out a prejudicial stereotype does not rest on countering a handful of anecdotes with a countervailing handful of anecdotes. You don't personally know or have experience with enough "ordinary everyday leftists" to make your claim, nor would providing examples of "ordinary everyday leftists" who base their opposition to strict voter ID laws on the belief that such laws have discriminatory effect dissuade you. Understanding that there is an existing and ongoing debate about the effect and value of strict voter ID laws might compel someone with stereotypical beliefs to reevaluate their own biases ... but I'm not expecting that here.

-Sam

Comment

The value of pointing out a prejudicial stereotype does not rest on countering a handful of anecdotes with a countervailing handful of anecdotes. You don't personally know or have experience with enough "ordinary everyday leftists" to make your claim, nor would providing examples of "ordinary everyday leftists" who base their opposition to strict voter ID laws on the belief that such laws have discriminatory effect dissuade you. Understanding that there is an existing and ongoing debate about the effect and value of strict voter ID laws might compel someone with stereotypical beliefs to reevaluate their own biases ... but I'm not expecting that here.

-Sam
                      I've had enough experiences with leftists to know for a fact they're racist. Granted, I don't consider most of them malicious racists and likely mean well, but they're still extremely condescending and off-putting individuals. As far as any debate, I don't see a debate. I see an academic paper, stated by a different group of academics to be flawed, used by a leftist in a failed attempt to confirm his own partisan biases about the subject. Where's the debate?

Comment

-Sam
                        Again, tell me how do you stop an illegal from registering to vote and voting? And how do you find out how many illegals may have voted?
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

-Sam

Hrm. Indeed.

-Sam

I've had enough experiences with leftists to know for a fact they're racist. Granted, I don't consider most of them malicious racists and likely mean well, but they're still extremely condescending and off-putting individuals. As far as any debate, I don't see a debate. I see an academic paper, stated by a different group of academics to be flawed, used by a leftist in a failed attempt to confirm his own partisan biases about the subject. Where's the debate?

Hrm.

-Sam

Comment

You’re smart enough to know your argument doesn’t allow the inverse handful of anecdotes: we’ve had plenty of experience to know right wingers are racist, many of them maliciously so. Do you care? No. Do we care about your oft-repeated anecdotal claim? No.

That’s a clue you start somewhere else more solid.

Comment

Hrm.

-Sam
                              He says that knowing the bent of confederate flag wavers typically doesn’t skew atheist democrat.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

You’re smart enough to know your argument doesn’t allow the inverse handful of anecdotes: we’ve had plenty of experience to know right wingers are racist, many of them maliciously so. Do you care? No. Do we care about your oft-repeated anecdotal claim? No.

That’s a clue you start somewhere else more solid.
                                You not only always enter the mix to bring up topics that have nothing whatsoever to do with the current discussion, but you misrepresent the views of people on top of that. I've never denied there are malicious racists, in fact, we've had this discussion...

I ignored it because I don't see how it was relevant. Yes, there are malicious racists out there, but, as I said, there not as damaging as racism on the left because it's openly malicious. If I see a person with a southern drawl throwing around the N-word, I'll avoid that person. That's far less insidious to me than a leftist wanting to coddle me for being a minority because they believe they're my white betters.
                                Most rightwingers aren't advocating against voter ID because they believe minorities are inferior and can't acquire said ID. So what are you on about exactly and how does that relate to the current discussion?

Comment