Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Los Angeles Will Require Photo ID For Homeless Hotel Living But Not Voting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    Most rightwingers aren't advocating against voter ID because they believe minorities are inferior and can't acquire said ID. So what are you on about exactly and how does that relate to the current discussion?
    Try it this way:

"I know most right-wingers advocating for strict voter ID believe minority voters are inferior

because

A) I've met enough right-wingers to know they're racist

and

B) I've met enough right-wingers who believe strict voter ID will reduce voter turnout among minorities

that therefore

C) I can attribute that belief to the entire set 'Right-Wingers'."

It doesn't work, for obvious reasons, but works exactly as well and on the same logic as your prejudicial statement.

-Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Try it this way:

"I know most right-wingers advocating for strict voter ID believe minority voters are inferior

because

A) I've met enough right-wingers to know they're racist

and

B) I've met enough right-wingers who believe strict voter ID will reduce voter turnout among minorities

that therefore

C) I can attribute that belief to the entire set 'Right-Wingers'."

It doesn't work, for obvious reasons, but works exactly as well and on the same logic as your prejudicial statement.

-Sam
      That type of reasoning borders on conspiracy theorizing about election rigging, which I don't necessarily have a problem with because I could equally theorize that top tier leftwingers on the political spectrum are so dead-set against securing elections because they want to make it easier for illegal immigrants to vote and it also makes it easier for them to forge fake ballots.

I just choose not to go that far because I have actual evidence that their intent is racially motivated and it's less malicious on the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

That type of reasoning borders on conspiracy theorizing about election rigging, which I don't necessarily have a problem with because I could equally theorize that top tier leftwingers on the political spectrum are so dead-set against securing elections because they want to make it easier for illegal immigrants to vote and it also makes it easier for them to forge fake ballots.

I just choose not to go that far because I have actual evidence that their intent is racially motivated and it's less malicious on the surface.
        It's exactly the "type" of reasoning you're using to make your statement: "I know my blanket statement about a group that holds tens of millions of people is true because I've personally interacted with a microscopically small fraction of that set".

It's the same "type" of reasoning that leads people to say "I know that Black people are lazy and shiftless because I've met plenty of 'em".

As I said before, good luck with that.

-Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

It's exactly the "type" of reasoning you're using to make your statement: "I know my blanket statement about a group that holds tens of millions of people is true because I've personally interacted with a microscopically small fraction of that set".

It's the same "type" of reasoning that leads people to say "I know that Black people are lazy and shiftless because I've met plenty of 'em".

As I said before, good luck with that.

-Sam
          It's not the same argument. I'm sure you agree as a leftist yourself with those in the video that minorities are inferior in knowledge and resources needed to acquire the ID, therefore they'd be a marginalized group of voters. Otherwise, if you have a different reason than the leftists in that video, what would your reasoning be not to have voter ID requirements? I don't need a video showing leftists explicitly and openly expressing their racist views because I'm assuming that's the leftist reasoning in general for opposing voter ID (unless, of course, this is a just political front to use as an excuse not to secure our elections so its easier to rig elections).

Comment