Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Catholic Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
    But at least he's making progress on the voluntary/optional front!
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      The key is to allow him to think it was his view all along.

Comment

• This thread is still alive?!
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

• The thread is actually a zombie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post
            The thread is actually a zombie.
            These threads are far too fresh to zombify.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
              It depends on the church and how 'catholic' is used. The word means 'universal.' In the Methodist Church the word catholic refers to all Christian believers who believe in the Apostolic Creed. In the Roman Church it means that it is the one and only church for all of humanity.

Comment

The use of voluntary/optional was your option. The difference in the meaning in the dialogue concerning the problems of celibacy is not significant. The problems remain.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  It depends on the church and how 'catholic' is used. The word means 'universal.' In the Methodist Church the word catholic refers to all Christian believers who believe in the Apostolic Creed. In the Roman Church it means that it is the one and only church for all of humanity.
                  He was commenting on your use of the word 'voracity', not 'catholic'.

Comment

The use of voluntary/optional was your option. The difference in the meaning in the dialogue concerning the problems of celibacy is not significant. The problems remain.
                    It is only significant because people could not understand what you were saying or dismissed it. Celibacy is voluntary but it is not optional for those who currently want to be Catholic priests. I agree that that there are problems with celibacy as currently required by the Roman Catholic church of their diocesan priests.

Comment

It is only significant because people could not understand what you were saying or dismissed it. Celibacy is voluntary but it is not optional for those who currently want to be Catholic priests. I agree that that there are problems with celibacy as currently required by the Roman Catholic church of their diocesan priests.
                      It is not voluntary if you wish to be, ie have the calling to serve, a priest of the Roman Church. The problems persist no matter how you try and word.

Comment

It is not voluntary if you wish to be, ie have the calling to serve, a priest of the Roman Church. The problems persist no matter how you try and word.
                        I have never ever tried to deny or minimize the problems. Again I think you would be better served by the use of the term 'optional' rather than 'voluntary' as has been demonstrated by the fact that people have misunderstood your claim here. In other words, it is not optional if you wish to be a Roman Catholic priest in response to a perceived calling to be such, but the response to this calling and the seeking of ordination within the Roman Catholic Church is entirely voluntary.

Comment

I have never ever tried to deny or minimize the problems. Again I think you would be better served by the use of the term 'optional' rather than 'voluntary' as has been demonstrated by the fact that people have misunderstood your claim here. In other words, it is not optional if you wish to be a Roman Catholic priest in response to a perceived calling to be such, but the response to this calling and the seeking of ordination within the Roman Catholic Church is entirely voluntary.
                          It is neither optional nor voluntary if one believes that they have the calling to serve as priest in the Roman Church. The individual in this case has no voluntary choice nor option in the decision if one desires to be a priest.

Comment

It is neither optional nor voluntary if one believes that they have the calling to serve as priest in the Roman Church. The individual in this case has no voluntary choice nor option in the decision if one desires to be a priest.
                            The decision as to how one chooses to respond to a discerned calling to the priesthood, ie, the belief that one has a vocation, is entirely voluntary. If someone feels compelled or under any compulsion to be ordained that might even be considered a good indication by those who are also tasked with the discernment of a vocation (ordination is not merely an individual choice) that the person seeking ordination does not in fact have a vocation. From my own personal perspective, a vocation should only be pursued as an option among other options, a free choice motivated only out of love, which is alway free.
                            Last edited by robrecht; 10-24-2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

He was commenting on your use of the word 'voracity', not 'catholic'.
                              Being anal attentive as to a typo is just ducking the issue as to the problem in the Roman Church which is avoided.

Like in many churches the vow of celibacy is 'optional' for the priesthood, some with options of different orders. In the Roman Church this choice is not 'optional.' I consider this 'discipline' as an unnatural demand that has ramifications throughout the history of the Roman Church. It is not a question of a matter to my preferences, except wide spread sexual abuse and dishonest sexual relationships have plagued the Orders of the Roman Church throughout its history. This alone brings to question the veracity of the claims of the Roman Church as being the Catholic Church for humanity.

The bottom line is my problem with the Roman church is not with individual issues. I do not believe in picking and choosing to believe based on what shoes fit best for me personally, nor relying on what I have been taught when I was growing up in the church. The question is 'Does it represent the Universal within the possibly human constraints of understanding, as it claims to be 'Catholic.' My answer is an overwhelming no. Looking at the history of the Roman Church I find very human institutions struggling with a changing world outside the Church.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-24-2014, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Being anal attentive as to a typo is just ducking the issue as to the problem in the Roman Church which is avoided.
                                What problem in the Roman Catholic Church are you accusing me of ducking???

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X