Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Implications of a Multiverse on Christian Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'd agree that multiverses aren't "extremely iffy" That's way too overkill. I think those models are in more trouble because of the utter lack of testability they have. More than one person have said that speculation on multiverses has long left what can be considered physics, and has now entered the philosophy realm. And its certainly possible, there's a multiverse mania going about, but so far its not producing anything impressive but an evergrowing pile of toy models of multiverses with all sorts of paradoxes attached. I remain open to the possibility though, but I'm not utterly excited about it.

You seem to be confused between the multiverse interpretation of QM and multiverses as they exist in Cosmology. There's absolutely no evidence for the Everettian interpretation, and certainly no cosmological evidence. So saying that in short cosmology, supports this interpretation of QM mixes terms and domains.

I personally think Everett's interpretation is one of the more interesting takes on quantum mechanics, though metaphysically its bollocks.
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Anything to avoid creation, eh?
    Science is not concerned with presuppositions such as a divine creation, it follows the evidence where it leads.
    Last edited by Tassman; 10-18-2015, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Science is not concerned with presuppositions such as a divine creation, it follows the evidence where it leads.
      Traditionally Christianity hasn't held that God creating the world is to be treated as a presupposition (that's actually a fairly modern take).

Comment

Traditionally Christianity hasn't held that God creating the world is to be treated as a presupposition (that's actually a fairly modern take).

Comment

That its part of our heritage would still not make it something presupposed. It might be an unimportant distinction to you. However in traditional theology, the world being created by God is taken as Revelation. We know of it, not because its presupposed it to be true, and subsequently never questioned, but because we first and foremost have a trust in a source of Divine Revelation, from which we learn that the world was created by God.

You might not agree that we have good reasons to trust this revelation, but this is how Christianity views this belief.

I don't think seer is a presuppositionalist though he seems sympathetic to that apologetic approach. If he, and Jedidiah, point out flaws in the multiverse worldviews its because I think they consider them transparent moves by atheists to account for various conceptual problems with materialistic worldviews.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Maybe if I make believe that I'm a scientist, like you do, I would be more credible? But Shuny, feel free to present credible physical evidence for this multiverse. I will be waiting... And of course atheistic scientists also have an agenda.
            I have a strong academic background in science and math, which I doubt you do. I do not attempt to challenge the academic professionals in Physics, Math and Cosmology based on religious or scientific agendas. I simply follow the advancement of scientific knowledge in these disciplines to better understand the nature of our physical existence.

On the other hand you use name calling, mindless obfuscation, and arrogant assertions to challenge science based on a religious agenda with very little or no knowledge of physics and cosmology.

The multiverse theories are based on sound scientific methods of the falsification of theories and hypothesis in the disciplines of math, physics and cosmology. Thee is no such thing as theories and hypothesis being 'proven true no false.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-18-2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              This brief citation does not tell the story of this reference nor the physics and cosmology of the Multiverse concept. You need to cite references in a more comprehensive and relevant manner instead of quote mining to justify a religious agenda.

When read as a whole the reference does very well describing the problems and positive advances of physics concering quantum mechanics and issues like 'string theory.' As specific concerning the issues in this thread the reference does not specifically address the problems nor the positive scientific issues of Multiverse theories.

Your reference here is a Red Herring.
              RedHerring.jpg
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]10669[/ATTACH]
                You need to better than this. Your line of reasoning is more than a little fishy.

Again, you need to cite the whole context of reference instead of a misleading sound bite. In fact your one sentence citation is fundamentally false.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-18-2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

The multiverse theories are based on sound scientific methods of the falsification of theories and hypothesis in the disciplines of math, physics and cosmology.
                  Can you give us some specifics here?
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Can you give us some specifics here?
                    The multiverse theories are based on sound scientific methods of the falsification of theories and hypothesis in the disciplines of math, physics and cosmology.

Your kidding!?!?!

First get a basic understanding of the scientific methods of the falsification of theories and hypothesis. You can read the many references in reasonable scientific journals and publications concerning the Multiverse theories.

Get a PhD in Physics, Math or Cosmology and get the details.

Ah . . . and not base your views of science on a religious agenda.

Comment

Your kidding!?!?!

First get a basic understanding of the scientific methods of the falsification of theories and hypothesis. You can read the many references in reasonable scientific journals and publications concerning the Multiverse theories.

Get a PhD in Physics, Math or Cosmology and get the details.

Ah . . . and not base your views of science on a religious agenda.
                      In other words, no!
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

That its part of our heritage would still not make it something presupposed. It might be an unimportant distinction to you. However in traditional theology, the world being created by God is taken as Revelation. We know of it, not because its presupposed it to be true, and subsequently never questioned, but because we first and foremost have a trust in a source of Divine Revelation, from which we learn that the world was created by God.

You might not agree that we have good reasons to trust this revelation, but this is how Christianity views this belief.
                        I don't think seer is a presuppositionalist though he seems sympathetic to that apologetic approach. If he, and Jedidiah, point out flaws in the multiverse worldviews its because I think they consider them transparent moves by atheists to account for various conceptual problems with materialistic worldviews.
                        Really! And here's me thinking that multiverse theory is merely an attempt by science to interpret quantum mechanics and its implications regarding the universe. I doubt that Jedidiah and seer are in a position to seriously question the experts in the field. I think they're automatically adopting the presuppositionalist worldview that Christianity is assumed to be the only

Comment

I have a strong academic background in science and math, which I doubt you do.
                          I don't believe you, you certainly have not shown any such academic ability on these boards.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

In other words, no!
                            In other words, your clueless as to the science involved, and choose a religious agenda to justify your rejection of the science of Multiverse theories. You also apparently make no effort to understand the science of Multiverse theories.

I do not spoon fed intentional ignorance.

Refer to Tassman's post #71. He described the problem well enough so that I need not repeat it.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-19-2015, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              I don't believe you, you certainly have not shown any such academic ability on these boards.
                              The bottom line is you are dismissive of ALL science that does not fit your religious agenda.

Refer to Tassman's post #71. He described the problem well enough so that I need not repeat it.
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-19-2015, 06:42 AM.

Comment

In other words, your clueless as to the science involved, and choose a religious agenda to justify your rejection of the science of Multiverse theories. You also apparently make no effort to understand the science of Multiverse theories.

I do not spoon fed intentional ignorance.

Clueless, Shuny? you have demonstrated nothing but cluelessness on these boards. But there certainly is no actual evidence for a multiverse. If you think otherwise please link it.
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X