Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Implications of a Multiverse on Christian Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Strange, many cosmologists and physicists think multiverse theory has a lot to do with science, are they wrong seer?
    Of course they are wrong - materialists need a faith just like everyone else... The great and powerful god Multiverse...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Strange, many cosmologists and physicists think multiverse theory has a lot to do with science, are they wrong seer?
      What are your scientific qualifications to make such judgments other than a religious agenda?

Comment

I don't see how multiverse theory is testable; can we not only observe our universe according to the model? If it's not testable, it's not science.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          What are your scientific qualifications to make such judgments other than a religious agenda?
          There is zero evidence...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            There are some vague hints in the observations that can be seen as a suggestion to many scientists. There is no real evidence.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              There are some vague hints in the observations that can be seen as a suggestion to many scientists. There is no real evidence.
              No real evidence is the key point.

Comment

Comment

Comment

What are your scientific qualifications Shuny to even question me? Oh that's right - you like to make believe that you understand these things based on reading blogs.

Comment

I do not have any religious agenda in this area. The Multiverse, real or not, has no bearing on my faith. You are reading stuff that just ain't there. I have read a bit about the evidence (off hand I can only think of some irregularities in background radiation, there may be more). If I am recalling correctly it is mostly implications of some approaches to string theory, and some interpretations of quantum theory that support it idea.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

No Jim, it is about as scientific as alchemy.
                        Well, first off seer, alchemy was science, more of a primitive science, but science none the less. At any rate, the reason that multi-verse even exists as a theory is because the science, as it came to be understood, suggested that our universe is only one of many universes. The phycisists working on quantum theory didn't just dream this MVT up, they were led to it by the science. Actually multiverse theory came about by complete accident as the result of an experiment gone wrong. That experiment though revealed something that was baffling to scientists, and that something was the wavelike nature of the particle. We've talked of this before. The first interpretation of this effect was the copenhagen interpretation which stated that, upon observation the wave, which has instantiated within it, all possible realities, upon observation, the wave collapses, and all but the one reality, the one that is observed, vanishes. But I don't think that most physicists accept that theory any longer. I know I don't. I don't think it right because for one thing it claims that we create reality by observing reality, which is really nothing more than a guess as to what is going on, but more importantly, it denies the math. And it was that, the math, a straight forward accepting of the math that led to the multiverse theory. So, you see, multiverse theory is not the result of magic or wishful thinking analgous to your understanding of alchemy, it is a direct result of the science.
                        Last edited by JimL; 10-16-2015, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Baloney. It is a result of one interpretation. Not in agreement with other interpretations. It is extremely iffy.

Comment

Baloney. It is a result of one interpretation. Not in agreement with other interpretations. It is extremely iffy.
                            An interpretation of what?

Comment

No it's nothttp://www.space.com/18811-multiple-...-theories.html

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Well, first off seer, alchemy was science, more of a primitive science, but science none the less. At any rate, the reason that multi-verse even exists as a theory is because the science, as it came to be understood, suggested that our universe is only one of many universes. The phycisists working on quantum theory didn't just dream this MVT up, they were led to it by the science. Actually multiverse theory came about by complete accident as the result of an experiment gone wrong. That experiment though revealed something that was baffling to scientists, and that something was the wavelike nature of the particle. We've talked of this before. The first interpretation of this effect was the copenhagen interpretation which stated that, upon observation the wave, which has instantiated within it, all possible realities, upon observation, the wave collapses, and all but the one reality, the one that is observed, vanishes. But I don't think that most physicists accept that theory any longer. I know I don't. I don't think it right because for one thing it claims that we create reality by observing reality, which is really nothing more than a guess as to what is going on, but more importantly, it denies the math. And it was that, the math, a straight forward accepting of the math that led to the multiverse theory. So, you see, multiverse theory is not the result of magic or wishful thinking analgous to your understanding of alchemy, it is a direct result of the science.
                                Well No Jim, the first thing is that materialists can't live with a creation event that has no physical explanation - there is an inherent bias. Second, like with differing string theories, that contradict each other, that all have math that is elegant - and works. And even if there is a multiverse there is no theory that gets us to an eternal past. The fact is, it is all speculation at this time.

Comment