Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Science of Morality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Accept for the fact that cruelty and selfishness would not work for society any more in your after world than it would in this world. The fact that the golden rule works to safeguard the lives and the peace of society and of the individuals that belong to it is what makes it objective. The point is not whether or not certain individuals disagree with it or transgress it, the point is that morality doesn't need a source, it is an objective truth in and of itself.
    Funny enough I just read a part of the Moral Arch that talks about pirates and how they too among each other had a moral code and were not as violent as the narrative goes. The pirates pushed this narrative to instill fear so people would pay themoff out of fear of being attacked and they would at times be violent. They also had to have order on their ship in order to function. Even among criminals there are rules to a certain extent. Just not rules the rest of society plays by or wants too.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Except Jim, survival to the Christian involves obeying God. That would include following certain moral principles, or at least trying. Trying to follow the golden rule, the love of ones neighbor, helping the poor etc... Survival in a godless universe would include anything that worked, including cruelty and selfishness. So extending life and justice, rewards and punishments beyond the natural world makes all the difference in the world in how we act here and now. Survival by any means possible is not an option for the Christian, it is for the non-christian.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rulehttp://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/19/he...ness-morality/

Comment

• Originally posted by AlecWelsh View Post
        Sure like I said children could identify morals at very young ages, Science just allows us to define and strive for solutions. For example you have no moral basis to reject gays or claim they are a sin given our understand of gays and that they are born the way they are and it is not a mental health issue. The Christian basis for claiming gays are immoral has been dis-proven by science.
        First Alex, child molesters or serial killers may be born that way. Just because something may be natural or inherent does not make it moral. Human are selfish by nature, does it then follow that selfishness is a good and moral thing?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Accept for the fact that cruelty and selfishness would not work for society any more in your after world than it would in this world. The fact that the golden rule works to safeguard the lives and the peace of society and of the individuals that belong to it is what makes it objective. The point is not whether or not certain individuals disagree with it or transgress it, the point is that morality doesn't need a source, it is an objective truth in and of itself.
          But the fact is cruelty and selfishness can and do work. You guys are fond of pointing to higher primates - yet there a small ruling class controls the larger population often by very violent means. And they keep the peace. So if you are pointing to what works - totalitarianism works - and has even in human population for centuries.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

First Alex, child molesters or serial killers may be born that way. Just because something may be natural or inherent does not make it moral. Human are selfish by nature, does it then follow that selfishness is a good and moral thing?
            Yes but say I said, given out understanding of gays they are not a mental illness that there is not morally bad understanding of them other than Some guy wrote in down in a book. Child molesters and serial killiners are simply not the same and it is terrifying in a conversation of morality you cannot tell the difference. That whole Christian morality sure does work out

Comment

But the fact is cruelty and selfishness can and do work. You guys are fond of pointing to higher primates - yet there a small ruling class controls the larger population often by very violent means. And they keep the peace. So if you are pointing to what works - totalitarianism works - and has even in human population for centuries.
              It might work but it is not a better method than getting a long and working together. Just because something works does not mean it is the best choice.

Comment

...sin given our understand of gays and that they are born the way they are ....
                I'm sorry, when did this happen?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  I'm sorry, when did this happen?
                  When did what happened? Gays are born Gay?

Comment

When did what happened? Gays are born Gay?
                    Yes. Where has this been scientifically conclusively proven?
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1107170741.htm

I would also like to ask you at what point in your life did you choose to be straight.

Comment

• http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1107170741.htm

They found that the posterior part of the corpus callosum is larger in homosexual than heterosexual men.

The size of the corpus callosum is largely inherited suggesting a genetic factor in sexual orientation, said Witelson "Our results do not mean that heredity is destiny but they do indicate that environment is not the only player in the field," she said.

The science is certainly in.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It might work but it is not a better method than getting a long and working together. Just because something works does not mean it is the best choice.
                          The point Alec is that if you are looking for order in society there are a number of things that may work, totalitarianism being one of them. As a matter of fact it may actually be better at promoting social order than modern democracies which often have competing factions that sow disorder. So is social order the ultimate good?

Comment

• While this is not a litmus test for sexual orientation, Witelson said this finding could prove to be one additional valuable piece of information for physicians and individuals who are trying to determine their sexual orientation.

I would also like to ask you at what point in your life did you choose to be straight.
                            When I was 14 and I terminated the same-sex relationship I was in.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1107170741.htm

The question is, if you took this genetic material that is me and gave it a different upbringing or experiences would I be gay today? Let me give you two examples - Ronny and Don, (their real names and two guys I grew up with). They both came out in the early seventies. I found out they were both molested by older males, family members, from early ages into their late teens. Perhaps if they never had these experience they would not be gay today. Well actually Don is no longer with us - AIDs.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                                http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1107170741.htm

They found that the posterior part of the corpus callosum is larger in homosexual than heterosexual men.

The size of the corpus callosum is largely inherited suggesting a genetic factor in sexual orientation, said Witelson "Our results do not mean that heredity is destiny but they do indicate that environment is not the only player in the field," she said.

The science is certainly in.
                                Only in that behavior affects brain development.
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment