Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Science of Morality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Not the point Homer, the point being that just because something is "natural" doesn't make it moral. So the whole "born that way" argument is silly.
    It's also completely unproven.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Well thank you. And you do know that the abolition movement in England and the US was populated largely by Christians - correct? And since when do you speak for all atheist? Do you speak for the atheists in China? North Korea? Cuba?
      I never said I speak for all atheist read that again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        This is true.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          Given that sin is defined as transgressing against the express will of God - yes, I'd say that it is justified from the Christian perspective to say that homosexual relationships are sinful. Of course, "sin" is a matter to be dealt with in-house. There's no mandate - and no justification - for imposing Christian rules on people who don't claim to be Christian.
          Were they not in a concerted effort to teach OUR children that it isn't sinful, then you may have a point. But when every corner of secular society is hammering the message home, the PARENT ends up looking the fool for teaching biblical truths.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

No, I say that they know that what they are doing is immoral. No matter how they try to justify it.
            Two things:

First, they do not think that they are immoral. As I said earlier Christians have tried hiding the lifestyle of homosexuals to terrible results that are actually immoral themselves if you have any standard of morality.

You have no basis to say they are immoral it is just your opinion. And sadly it is not even your own formulated opinion someone has to tell you what to think.

Comment

No this is not true. Your ignorance or refusal to accept evidence and proof does not dictate reality. You simply live with delusional beliefs.

Comment

Given that sin is defined as transgressing against the express will of God - yes, I'd say that it is justified from the Christian perspective to say that homosexual relationships are sinful. Of course, "sin" is a matter to be dealt with in-house. There's no mandate - and no justification - for imposing Christian rules on people who don't claim to be Christian.
                So in a representative republic we are not allowed to influence the laws of the land according to our beliefs? We should not support laws against murder, rape, theft, fraud, etc... because they spring from our religious beliefs?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Were they not in a concerted effort to teach OUR children that it isn't sinful, then you may have a point. But when every corner of secular society is hammering the message home, the PARENT ends up looking the fool for teaching biblical truths.
                  Children can be taught that Christianity demands a different standard from secular society, and that Christians are expected to adhere to standards that God requires of people who claim to be his disciples. It is a more difficult path than just teaching them that things are wrong - but they should be taught fully anyway.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by AlecWelsh View Post
                    Two things:

First, they do not think that they are immoral. As I said earlier Christians have tried hiding the lifestyle of homosexuals to terrible results that are actually immoral themselves if you have any standard of morality.
                    Let's be clear Alex, you have no standard of morality except what you invented in your own mind, or what you borrowed from someone else, so it is completely subjective.

You have no basis to say they are immoral it is just your opinion. And sadly it is not even your own formulated opinion someone has to tell you what to think.
                    If that is the case then all you have is opinion - so why is your opinion more valid or correct than mine?

Comment

So in a representative republic we are not allowed to influence the laws of the land according to our beliefs? We should not support laws against murder, rape, theft, fraud, etc... because they spring from our religious beliefs?
                      No, religious belief has nothing to do with it. It is the individuals who matter because individuals make up society. America was created so int he eye of the laws everyone is seen as equal regardless of religious belief. Just because most of the people in America are Christian does not mean you get to ignore atheist, Muslims, Jews or anything you do not like based on religious reasons. You are being extremely closed minded. Your are so caught up in Christian privilege and delusion you have no ability to see morality for yourself or outside anyone who does not conform to your beliefs. This should be embarrassing

Comment

• Originally posted by AlecWelsh View Post
                        No this is not true.
                        It IS true. Even the study you cited used words like "could" and "might" and never ONCE claimed that their findings were conclusive evidence of biological causes of homosexuality. I even made the key word in their conclusion large and bold so that you could not miss it. There is no conclusive proof that people are "born that way".

Your ignorance or refusal to accept evidence and proof does not dictate reality. You simply live with delusional beliefs.
                        Your obtuse refusal to remain skeptical in this matter is rather telling on what your delusions entail.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Children can be taught that Christianity demands a different standard from secular society, and that Christians are expected to adhere to standards that God requires of people who claim to be his disciples. It is a more difficult path than just teaching them that things are wrong - but they should be taught fully anyway.
                          You've obviously never had a child attend public school in the US.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Let's be clear Alex, you have no standard of morality except what you invented in your own mind, or what you borrowed from someone else, so it is completely subjective.
                            You have basically admitted to not understanding anything that has been said here which is not surprising given your limited mental capacity to see anything outside your limited belief.

If that is the case then all you have is opinion - so why is your opinion more valid or correct than mine?
                            Because mine is based on a standard that not one individual can logical argue they are not a part of. Humans are not equals when it comes to individuals and their intelligence, or athletic abilities, but in the term of individual interaction no one can argue why it is ok to be subject to unjust suffering. It does not mean it doesn't happen or that others will not caused unjust suffering but it does logically mean that they should not cause because they cannot justify upon themselves.

Comment

• Why should a sexually mature individual be treated unfairly because of their perception of attraction to other sexually mature individuals?
                              Last edited by AlecWelsh; 09-09-2015, 11:50 AM.

Comment

You've obviously never had a child attend public school in the US.
                                You got me on that one.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment