Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Science of Morality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes of course I repeat myself because you are thick. Just agree that you are a biological sock puppet with no control over what you believe, say or do.

This is what I would expect a sock puppet to say...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Yes of course I repeat myself because you are thick. Just agree that you are a biological sock puppet with no control over what you believe, say or do.
      You repeat your same old mantra because it's all you've got. You have no substantive argument to justify your belief in libertarian free-will, all that's left is for you to ignore and mock the arguments of your opponents.

This is what I would expect a sock puppet to say...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        You repeat your same old mantra because it's all you've got. You have no substantive argument to justify your belief in libertarian free-will, all that's left is for you to ignore and mock the arguments of your opponents.
        No, I'm not mocking - if LFW is not correct then we have no control over what we think or believe, we are by definition sock puppets - the non-rational forces of nature, and antecedent conditions dictate and determine what we will believe, think or feel - true or not.

How can I possibly offer evidence to a sock puppet? The sock puppet is going to believe what non-rational forces of nature determine him to believe.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No, I'm not mocking - if LFW is not correct then we have no control over what we think or believe,
          isnever answer questions. One can only assume that you're unable to, in short, that you believe in LFW for no good reason.

we are by definition sock puppets - the non-rational forces of nature, and antecedent conditions dictate and determine what we will believe, think or feel - true or not.
          How can I possibly offer evidence to a sock puppet? The sock puppet is going to believe what non-rational forces of nature determine him to believe.

Comment

• If you don't believe that our rational thoughts play a causal role in the decision making process, like Thinker, then are you are truly a sock puppet to biological forces that are completely out of your control.

Again,how can I possibly offer evidence to a sock puppet? The sock puppet is going to believe what non-rational forces of nature determine him to believe - right or wrong, true or not..

Comment

If you don't believe that our rational thoughts play a causal role in the decision making process, like Thinker, then are you are truly a sock puppet to biological forces that are completely out of your control.
              Again,how can I possibly offer evidence to a sock puppet? The sock puppet is going to believe what non-rational forces of nature determine him to believe - right or wrong, true or not..

Comment

• Tass, do you have control over what you think do or say, or is it all predetermined - yes or no?

Nonsense Tass, it is not dishonest in the least. If we are "governed by the inevitable consequences of antecedent states of affairs" then we are sock puppets to those conditions - they dictate completely what we will think, do or say. You have made my point, thank you. Sock puppet: a person or group whose actions are controlled by someone or something else, a puppet.

Comment

Tass, do you have control over what you think do or say, or is it all predetermined - yes or no?
                  Nonsense Tass, it is not dishonest in the least. If we are "governed by the inevitable consequences of antecedent states of affairs" then we are sock puppets to those conditions - they dictate completely what we will think, do or say. You have made my point, thank you. Sock puppet: a person or group whose actions are controlled by someone or something else, a puppet.

Comment

• Good then you agree that you are a sock puppet to antecedent conditions and you have no control over what you think, believe or do. Which means you had no control over what you just spit out - true or not, right or wrong.

Comment

Good then you agree that you are a sock puppet to antecedent conditions and you have no control over what you think, believe or do. Which means you had no control over what you just spit out - true or not, right or wrong.
                      do

Comment

You do
                        Yes, and this makes you a sock puppet to antecedent conditions, you have no control over anything you think do or say.

Well yes, unlike you I believe that conscious, rational and logical deliberations play a causal role in the process. That our conscious reasoning breaks the chain. If not you really are no more than a sock puppet...

Comment

Yes, and this makes you a sock puppet to antecedent conditions, you have no control over anything you think do or say.
                          What you have not done, despite many requests, is show HOW a person makes independent, freely willed decisions from beginning to end in a universe demonstrably governed by the consequences of antecedent states of affairs. The burden of proof is on you.

Well yes, unlike you I believe that conscious, rational and logical deliberations play a causal role in the process. That our conscious reasoning breaks the chain. If not you really are no more than a sock puppet...

Comment

What you have not done, despite many requests, is show HOW a person makes independent, freely willed decisions from beginning to end in a universe demonstrably governed by the consequences of antecedent states of affairs. The burden of proof is on you.
                            Tass, my position has always been that rational thought and deliberation, the conscious weighing of evidence breaks the chain. In my world these have real influence, in your world they don't.

If conscious reasoning does not influence the process then we really are sock puppets to antecedent conditions. So admit it Tass, you are a puppet to antecedent forces that dictate what you believe or think, true or not, right or wrong.

Just for you Bro... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81YMi_gO6oY
                            Last edited by seer; 10-27-2015, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Tass, my position has always been that rational thought and deliberation, the conscious weighing of evidence breaks the chain. In my world these have real influence, in your world they don't.
                              Waiting!!

If conscious reasoning does not influence the process then we really are sock puppets to antecedent conditions.
                              So admit it Tass, you are a puppet to antecedent forces that dictate what you believe or think, true or not, right or wrong.

Comment

Waiting!!
                                Are you kidding Tass? Your position is completely irrational. A question that none of you have been able to rationally answer: Logically go from being determined to believe that A is true to A being actually true. And again, I'm not a materialist - I'm not limited to your narrow view, nor do I have to believe that all phenomenon is open to science.

Then just admit it Tass, you are a sock puppet to antecedent conditions. I just want to hear you accept your theory.

And how does that make you any less a sock puppet to antecedent conditions? Be specific please.

Comment