Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is Time Real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    You tell me. You know space exists, because without 3 dimensional space there would be no universe for stuff to exist in. What happens if you take a 3 cubic foot box and remove everything inside it? All electrons, atoms, photons, energy, etc. Does the box disappear? Or is it still full of 3 cubic feet of "space"?
    Um, technically, you'd have a crushed piece of cardboard from the air pressure...

Sorry, couldn't resist...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Natural Laws.

If change is real, time is real.
      Not necessarily. Temperature exists in a spectrum but 'cold' isn't truly real. It's just how we describe the absence of heat on a scale.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Time is relative.
        The more time, the more relatives.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Maybe where you come from.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Sometimes, the longer they stay, the longer "time" seems.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              Maybe where you come from.
              Really? Seems to me you have an additional little relative...

Whose picture you haven't posted in ages!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Really? Seems to me you have an additional little relative...
                Sure, but I think the birth/death rate in my family favors the death side.

Whose picture you haven't posted in ages!
                Was I supposed to be?
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                  Sure, but I think the birth/death rate in my family favors the death side.

Originally posted by Carry
                  Was I supposed to be?
                  What do you think most of us girls come here for? It sure ain't the free Cheetos...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

What do you think most of us girls come here for? It sure ain't the free Cheetos...
                    Gossip, of course. What else do women do?
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

We see soace by seeing with light the matter in it. We experience time, yes we do. How? We see things move. We can feel acceleration. Gravity is felt because it is time dilation. Just as acceleration is time dilation. Force is time dilation or cause of time dilation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_principle
                      Last edited by 37818; 02-02-2015, 04:03 PM.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Not necessarily. Temperature exists in a spectrum but 'cold' isn't truly real. It's just how we describe the absence of heat on a scale.
                        Huh!?!?!!?

A change in temperature would require time. A particular temperature simply exists at any one time does not require time.

The presence or absence of heat and changes in temperature would reflect Natural Laws.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-02-2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                          We see soace by seeing with light the matter in it.
                          Soace?

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                            As God the Son did not change. But how He was with God did change. The incarnation was a change. Not from being God. But from being God and with God. How He was with God did change in the incarnation. The Logos, God's Son was and is God's agent of change. Always has been. A cause is a change. The Son is the uncaused cause of creation. Uncaused being that He was God. A change in that He is the cause of creation (John 1:3).
                            I think we are in agreement, I didn't mean that a change of somekind didn't take place, however you said The Logos underwent change. However The Logos has always been used to refer to The Son that proceeds from The Father, and The Son cannot undergo change. However you do seem to mean that The Son took on a human nature in addition to His divine nature.

But its a different discussion so I won't say anything more on it here.

Comment

Then how could He love in either the emotional or the 1 Cor 13 senses of the term?
                              I don't - and this is from my somewhat limited understanding of Classical Theology - that God can have emotions the same way we do. In that sense God is entirely free of passion of any kind. That doesn't mean though that we can't describe Him in those terms and have it be meaningful. It can be proven, so has Christian theologians argued for millenia now, that God is entirely changeless and without such change it doesn't seem He can be subject to emotion.

Love is more than emotion, its purest form is that of seeking the best for someone else for his or her own sake. I think we have to understand love in that term, rather than in terms of what emotional feelings we have.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I thought I was clear about my view of time. God created all of time and space at once. It included all of our free will choices which from a "future" perspective might seem fixed, just as we see the past as fixed from our perspective, but that doesn't mean the people in the past did not have free will or that we do not.
                                I'm not talking about the nature of Freewill here, its not really relevant to the discussion as I see it.

I'm trying to understand what kind of view you have of time, because its not actually clear to me whether we disagree, or whether we are merely describe the same thing is different terminology. Lately I've tried to be extra careful about this because I've found that two people can wind up spending a lot of energy arguing over what things are called, and not what things are.

Do you believe that Christ is hanging on the Cross in some sense... displaced along some fourth space-time axis? That the past is not merely some state the world has passed through, but that it actually concretely exists? The same with the future?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X