Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is "Why is there something rather than nothing?" a legitimate question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
    Because all of its observed parts have non-necessary existence.
    When has it been observed that spacetime has non-necessary existence?
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      This logic fails by modern math and the simplicity of infinities in time and space. First time does not have units of time nor space, therefore any limits we put on space and time are meaningless. These are Creations of human conventions.The simplicity of infinity is that there is always something in time and space beyond any concept of time and space we can imagine or calculate.

Again Lucretius got it right in simplicity as the arrow of time and space pierces all finite boundaries of human imagination and convention.
      See this discussion:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ogists/page130
      http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

Because all of its observed parts have non-necessary existence.
        non sequitur - the conclusion does not necessary follow.

This cannot negate the possibility that our physical existence can have a necessity of existence, even if the observed parts have a non-necessary existence.

Comment

You will need to be more specific here the discussion does not make your objection clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
            When has it been observed that spacetime has non-necessary existence?
            Space time itself?

That is not an observed part of the universe.

Each time has a non-necessary existence, since there was a time when it was not yet and comes a time when it is gone.

Most physical places have non-necessary existence and observably so. Krakatoa was not before a certain eruption. Parts of California are threatened by drowning.

As to "space time", it is a deuction, not an observed part.

Comment

non sequitur - the conclusion does not necessary follow.

This cannot negate the possibility that our physical existence can have a necessity of existence, even if the observed parts have a non-necessary existence.
              Its like saying that all of a thing can be blue when none of its parts is in any respect blue.

Comment

You will need to be more specific here the discussion does not make your objection clear.
                I was clear enough there, and will reply to your inclarity there.

Comment

Its like saying that all of a thing can be blue when none of its parts is in any respect blue.
                  This is true, but remains a non sequitur.

Comment

Space time itself?

That is not an observed part of the universe.
                    Seriously? Spacetime hasn't been observed? I mean, I could understand a debate regarding the properties of spacetime, but to claim that space and time are not observed parts of the universe seems fairly disingenuous.
                    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

Every single hair which makes up a polar bear's fur is transparent. Does that mean a polar bear's fur is not white?

Comment

Seriously? Spacetime hasn't been observed? I mean, I could understand a debate regarding the properties of spacetime, but to claim that space and time are not observed parts of the universe seems fairly disingenuous.
                        But how is time observed?
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          But how is time observed?
                          With data gathered from different events, in exactly the same way that space is observed with data gathered from different locations.

Comment

I'd rather take it, that before God created, it is not true that "nothing" existed, it is only true that "nothing that was made" existed.
                            So then, you have it that both god, i.e. immaterial being, or mind, and the substance out of which he created are both eternal and that the two are distinct and separate from one another. And you believe this why?

Comment

With data gathered from different events, in exactly the same way that space is observed with data gathered from different locations.
                              I'm not sure what that means Boxing. This data you refer to must have to do with the flow of time, but didn't you or Carroll make the case that the flow of time is an illusion?
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                I'm not sure what that means Boxing. This data you refer to must have to do with the flow of time, but didn't you or Carroll make the case that the flow of time is an illusion?
                                Time doesn't need to actually flow in order that events have a discernible sequence, any more than space needs to flow in order that locations have a discernible sequence.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X