Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Determinism And Rationality.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    It is still all mechanical just more complex - caring, or not caring do not rationally acquire praise or blame, any more than indigestion.
    Then there'd be no need of such complexity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
      So if caring comes from God, then it's a beautiful thing, but if it came about by naturalistic processes, it's disgusting.

Interesting.
      No, it doesn't come from God per se, it is based on our free volition. Not merely the result of determined biological programming. And worthy of praise.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Then there'd be no need of such complexity.
        ????
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No, it doesn't come from God per se, it is based on our free volition. Not merely the result of determined biological programming. And worthy of praise.
          I would say it's worthy of praise even if it's "merely" the result of determined biological programming. YMMV.

Comment

I would say it's worthy of praise even if it's "merely" the result of determined biological programming. YMMV.
            So if an automaton went around feeding the poor, you would praise the robot? Why?

Comment

So if an automaton went around feeding the poor, you would praise the robot? Why?
              If praising the robot benefited it, and caused it and other robots to be more predisposed to go around feeding the poor, why not?

Comment

If praising the robot benefited it, and caused it and other robots to be more predisposed to go around feeding the poor, why not?
                Sounds like your robots have free will. Interesting.

Comment

Sounds like your robots have free will. Interesting.
                  Depends on how you define free will.

Comment

we have no idea if animal self awareness is anything like ours or what it really is...
                    Not so. We have a very good idea,
                    I never said animals don't have a degree of consciousness or intelligence, but it is not like ours in kind or degree since ours is supernatural.
                    As your religion teaches.
                    So funny that you have the gall to instruct a practicing Baha'i like shuny what he is supposed to believe.

Comment

Depends on how you define free will.
                      The ability to do otherwise...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        So funny that you have the gall to instruct a practicing Baha'i like shuny what he is supposed to believe.
                        Yet here you are, having spent years on this board telling Christians what they are 'supposed to believe'.

Baha'ism has certain core beliefs. If Shunya is a Baha'i then he should hold those beliefs, or have a substantial explanation why he doesn't, yet is still a Baha'i. Nothing wrong with Seer asking about that. It is a discussion board, after all.
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

The ability to do otherwise...
                          Too much of a generalization of the problematic human will.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                            Yet here you are, having spent years on this board telling Christians what they are 'supposed to believe'.

Baha'ism has certain core beliefs. If Shunya is a Baha'i then he should hold those beliefs, or have a substantial explanation why he doesn't, yet is still a Baha'i. Nothing wrong with Seer asking about that. It is a discussion board, after all.
                            Yes, seer has a right to asking these questions, but Seer has a history of google searching selectively citing Baha'i writings to justify his agenda. Scripture should consider as a whole and not selective justification.

He believes in the literal interpretation of religious writings is one believes in the scripture, which is his belief in the Bible.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-07-2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              Yes, seer has a right to asking these questions,

Originally posted by Shunyadragon
                              but Seer has a history of google searching selectively citing Baha'i writings to justify his agenda.

That's your standard boilerplate whenever someone brings up some source or evidence that puts into question your claims. I don't believe you. You resort to a personal attack (a logical fallacy as well) instead of dealing with the data. This is a recurring pattern with you, and damages your.... (cough).... credibility.

Originally posted by Shunyadragon
                              Scripture should consider as a whole and not selective justification.

He believes in the literal interpretation of religious writings is one believes in the scripture, which is his belief in the Bible.
                              You seem to be trying to say something about Seer's approach to interpreting the Bible which I doubt is correct. Of course I could be misreading you, but the last sentence above is gibberish.
                              ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Yes, seer has a right to asking these questions, but Seer has a history of google searching selectively citing Baha'i writings to justify his agenda. Scripture should consider as a whole and not selective justification.

I told you this before Shuny, back in 90s I had a friend who was Bahai, I read a number of your books, that is why I know what to look for. Much of it actually agrees with Christian theology. The Bahai view on the rational soul is dead on as far as I'm concerned. To bad you have to reject the plain teachings of your own faith. And there was nothing selective about what I quoted about the soul - that is what your religion teaches, and I linked it so you can read it in context.

Comment