Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Origin of the Mind/Mental States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    I note that you are assuming the validity of reasoning in order to demonstrate the validity of reasoning.
    But this does not explain how people saw events happening in other rooms.

Comment

• But if reasoning is simply the sum of the atoms in my head, it is not valid.

Ah, a priori there is no supernatural explanation. But this is not an argument.

Best wishes,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

But if reasoning is simply the sum of the atoms in my head, it is not valid.
        Who said that reasoning was merely the sum of the atoms in your head. Reasoning is the atoms in your head reacting to informational stimuli, both internal and external. It's what we call a brain and its function. It's not like the atoms in your head are just sitting there like a rock, unreactive to anything. The brain is a reactive process, synapses are firing, information is traversing the axons from one part of the brain to the other wherein ideas, thoughts and memories are formed and stored. So reasoning is not just the sum of inert grey matter, it's a function of that grey matter. If you think there is an intelligent ghost in the machine, then a physical brain would be superfluous.

Actually it is an argument, since it is based on the fact that there is no evidence for the claim of the supernatural in the first place.

Comment

But if reasoning is simply the sum of the atoms in my head, it is not valid.
          'Reasoning' is what the brain is doing. You are what the brain is doing. How is "not valid"?

Given that there is no substantive evidence of the supernatural it doesn't figure in the argument at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            So reasoning is not just the sum of inert grey matter, it's a function of that grey matter.
            I don't see any difference here, though.

If you think there is an intelligent ghost in the machine, then a physical brain would be superfluous.
            I believe the brain is an instrument by which we think, but it is not required in order to think.

Actually it is an argument, since it is based on the fact that there is no evidence for the claim of the supernatural in the first place.
            Originally posted by Tassman
            Given that there is no substantive evidence of the supernatural it doesn't figure in the argument at all.
            This would be a claim, but I need the argument.

Blessings,
            Lee
            Last edited by lee_merrill; 11-24-2018, 06:12 PM.
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              'Reasoning' is what the brain is doing. You are what the brain is doing. How is "not valid"?
              Because you are assuming the validity of reasoning in order to make this argument.

Best wishes,
              Lee

Comment

I don't see any difference here, though.
                You don't see the difference between a rock and a brain?

I believe the brain is an instrument by which we think, but it is not required in order to think.
                If the brain wasn't required for thought, then why would it have evolved, why would it exist?

It's not a claim, there is no empirical evidence of the supernatural.

Comment

Because you are assuming the validity of reasoning in order to make this argument.
                  There is no reason to demonstrate the "validity of reasoning", when we have plentiful evidence of many sentient creatures evolving with the ability to reason? There's nothing to argue.
                  Last edited by Tassman; 11-24-2018, 11:56 PM.

Comment

You believe in the existence of the supernatural when this notion is unsupported by any verified, substance evidence. There is nothing to argue. .
                    Last edited by Tassman; 11-24-2018, 11:57 PM.

Comment

You don't see the difference between a rock and a brain?
                      So you are saying my thoughts are the sum of the atoms in my head?

If the brain wasn't required for thought, then why would it have evolved, why would it exist?
                      It exists to be the instrument of thought, by which we think as long as we are in the body.

It's not a claim, there is no empirical evidence of the supernatural.
                      You are indeed claiming there is no empirical evidence of the supernatural, now I need a demonstration of that claim.

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

There is no reason to demonstrate the "validity of reasoning", when we have plentiful evidence of many sentient creatures evolving with the ability to reason?
                        But this assumes the validity of reasoning, in order to make this point.

Best wishes,
                        Lee

Comment

No. Do you equate the complexity of your brain to that of a rock? You are your brain, ergo it is you who does the reasoning, the thinking.

It exists to be the instrument of thought, by which we think as long as we are in the body.
                          So, then, your holy ghost is, in itself, a brainless, non thinking thing?

You are indeed claiming there is no empirical evidence of the supernatural, now I need a demonstration of that claim.
                          No, it is you who is making the negative claim of the supernatural, therefore it is you who need demonstrate it.

Comment

Your thoughts are an extension of (and supported by) evolutionary theory.

If you are not "in" your body you are dead and buried.

What you "need" is to explain why you would assume the existence of the supernatural.

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                            But this assumes the validity of reasoning, in order to make this point.
                            It shows the demonstrable existence of "reasoning" as evidenced by sentient creatures evolving with the ability to reason.

Comment

No. Do you equate the complexity of your brain to that of a rock? You are your brain, ergo it is you who does the reasoning, the thinking.
                              The brain is complex! but "you are your brain" is what is in dispute.

So, then, your holy ghost is, in itself, a brainless, non thinking thing?
                              No, the soul can think without a brain, is my position.

No, it is you who is making the negative claim of the supernatural, therefore it is you who need demonstrate it.
                              I am making a positive claim, actually, and one demonstration is in the validity of human reasoning. The naturalist has no basis on which to establish the validity of human reasoning, therefore it is supernatural.

Now your negative claim that there is no empirical evidence of the supernatural needs defending.

Blessings,
                              Lee

Comment

Your thoughts are an extension of (and supported by) evolutionary theory.
                                But still, my thoughts are determined by the motions of atoms in my head?

If you are not "in" your body you are dead and buried.
                                But the soul may live on, as evidenced by out-of-body experiences where people report events that happened when they were brain-dead, even events that happened outside their room.

What you "need" is to explain why you would assume the existence of the supernatural.
                                I don't assume it, there is evidence for it.

It shows the demonstrable existence of "reasoning" as evidenced by sentient creatures evolving with the ability to reason.
                                But here you again assume the validity of reasoning to make your point about the validity of reasoning.

Best wishes,
                                Lee

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X