Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is time physical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    He exists somewhere in the future Seer. Not now. Not in the past. Time exists in B-theory. I have no idea why you can't grasp that. But it is obvious from these 50+ pages that you don't understand B-theory at all even though you seem to think you are some sort of expert who knows more than you actually do. It's getting silly at this point. If everything existed "now" in B-theory then nobody would believe in B-theory because everything obviously does not exist now all at one time. So either everyone who believes in B-theory, including some very smart scientist are all blind or complete idiots, or you are wrong about B-theory. I think I am gonna go with the later option: you are wrong.
    But I do understand that B Theory is a theory, and really unprovable, and inconsistent with Quantum Mechanics. And yes everything does exist at one time - you already admitted that if we viewed the Block universe from the outside. Because in reality there is only one time and it is static, it does not flow or move or change. Nor can it. And many scientists in the field do not believe in Block theory (see my past links). Especially Quantum theorists. And I have granted that baby seer would exist in a different location of space than old seer, but not a different time because time does not CHANGE because it is STATIC.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post

But he doesn't exist, I'm not dead yet. You are the one who says I exist as dead. You show me where - how do you locate that body?
    He exists somewhere in the future Seer. Not now. Not in the past. Time exists in B-theory. I have no idea why you can't grasp that. But it is obvious from these 50+ pages that you don't understand B-theory at all even though you seem to think you are some sort of expert who knows more than you actually do. It's getting silly at this point. If everything existed "now" in B-theory then nobody would believe in B-theory because everything obviously does not exist now all at one time. So either everyone who believes in B-theory, including some very smart scientist are all blind or complete idiots, or you are wrong about B-theory. I think I am gonna go with the later option: you are wrong.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Machinist View Post

With a time machine.
    A time machine that is calibrated to A theory time that doesn't actually exist?

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied

But he doesn't exist, I'm not dead yet. You are the one who says I exist as dead. You show me where - how do you locate that body?
    With a time machine.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

Ok show me a picture of dead seer then. If he exists now, you should have no problem with that. Do you keep him under your bed? In the closet?

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Instants in time exist even when time is static. Periods in time (everything between one instant and another) also exist. And years, being periods in time, also exist.
    That is silly, how can you have 'periods' when time does not move, flow or change? You keep smuggling A theory language...

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

No Sparko, dead seer, in the Block universe, exists now, and in 1953, 1963, 2003, 2013. There was never a time when my rotting body did not exist.
    Ok show me a picture of dead seer then. If he exists now, you should have no problem with that. Do you keep him under your bed? In the closet?

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    How do assign a date when time is static?
    If all else fails, you can note the positions of the planets and their moons.

But there isn't a 1953 nor a 2022.
    Of course there is. Every year that ever existed or ever will exist is present in the block universe.

Like I said, you could distinguish locations, but not times, times, plural, do not exist when time is static.
    Instants in time exist even when time is static. Periods in time (everything between one instant and another) also exist. And years, being periods in time, also exist.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    I'm not sure what you mean by "calculate" 1953.
    How do assign a date when time is static?

In the block universe, old seer exists, but not in the part we call 1953. Only baby seer exists in that slice. (Still does, of course, but not in the slice we call 2022.)
    But there isn't a 1953 nor a 2022. Like I said, you could distinguish locations, but not times, times, plural, do not exist when time is static.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    Nonsense, how do you calculate 1953 in static time? Exactly?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "calculate" 1953.

I have no idea what that means. In the year we call 1953, in the Block universe, both old and baby seer existed.
    In the block universe, old seer exists, but not in the part we call 1953. Only baby seer exists in that slice. (Still does, of course, but not in the slice we call 2022.)

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    They both exist in B theory, and they don't rely in any way on our illusion of flow.
    Nonsense, how do you calculate 1953 in static time? Exactly?

They both exist in the block universe, but only baby seer is in 1953.
    I have no idea what that means. In the year we call 1953, in the Block universe, both old and baby seer existed.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    But those values don't actually exist in B theory since they rely on our illusion of flow.
    They both exist in B theory, and they don't rely in any way on our illusion of flow.

Look at it this way - in the Block universe, did both old seer and baby seer exist in 1953?
    They both exist in the block universe, but only baby seer is in 1953.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

1953 and 2022 are the values (in years).
    But those values don't actually exist in B theory since they rely on our illusion of flow. Look at it this way - in the Block universe, did both old seer and baby seer exist in 1953?

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied

Really, what is the value of 1953 as opposed to 2022?
    1953 and 2022 are the values (in years).

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

Dead seer exists in another time. Baby Seer exists in a different time. You can't see them because you are in one time and they are in another. The other times are different locations along the dimension of time.
    No Sparko, dead seer, in the Block universe, exists now, and in 1953, 1963, 2003, 2013. There was never a time when my rotting body did not exist.

Leave a comment: