Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hugh Hefner is now in hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It is the same opportunity. We all have access to the same evidence, and we all have exactly one lifetime to believe. It doesn't get any more fair than that.
    Wrong, think again. We don't all have, and never have all had, the same evidence pertaining to the existence of your god.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      We all are sinners, JimL. By our own actions. Our own conscience condemns us if we don't know about God and the Law. Like the saying goes, "Ignorance of the Law is no excuse"
      So ignorance of Jesus is no excuse for not believing in him? Gotcha.

You kinda suck at this whole attempt at playing "gotcha"
      No, actually you kinda suck at defending your belief.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Wrong, think again. We don't all have, and never have all had, the same evidence pertaining to the existence of your god.
        Well you have, so what's your excuse going to be?

Comment

So ignorance of Jesus is no excuse for not believing in him? Gotcha.

No, actually you kinda suck at defending your belief.
          JimL, your "objections" are just dumb. Your attempts to turn around what I say are equally dumb. I am not even posting to explain things to you at this point, I know you are a hopeless case. I am posting for others who may come along and genuinely want to know how it works.

Not believing in Jesus as your savior merely means you are on your own and will face judgement for your own actions which you are responsible for because you have a conscience and know right from wrong and chose to do wrong. Completely just and fair.

You as an unbeliever don't want to follow Jesus or believe in God and say things like, "God is just a crutch for the weak minded" and that sort of thing. So guess what? You get to do it all on your own. You don't get a crutch or help from Jesus. You face judgment for what you have done all on on your own. Good luck with that.

Comment

You as an unbeliever don't want to follow Jesus or believe in God and say things like, "God is just a crutch for the weak minded" and that sort of thing. So guess what? You get to do it all on your own. You don't get a crutch or help from Jesus. You face judgment for what you have done all on on your own. Good luck with that.
            I thank God for the Jesus crutch, I know (better than anything else I know in life) that I am a moral cripple.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Well you have, so what's your excuse going to be?
              Try to focus Sparko, this isn't about me, because you're right, I have no excuse and am not even arguing that I do, so try to focus rather than obfuscating.

Comment

Try to focus Sparko, this isn't about me, because you're right, I have no excuse and am not even arguing that I do, so try to focus rather than obfuscating.
                Jimmy, I have answered everyone of your dumb objections and mischaracterizations. But because you are of a reprobate mind so you cannot grasp the truth and instead reject it so that you may continue to feel guiltless in your sin.

Comment

JimL, your "objections" are just dumb. Your attempts to turn around what I say are equally dumb. I am not even posting to explain things to you at this point, I know you are a hopeless case. I am posting for others who may come along and genuinely want to know how it works.
                  No, you are not being genuine, you are trying to make this about me when you know thats not what I'm saying.
                  Not believing in Jesus as your savior merely means you are on your own and will face judgement for your own actions which you are responsible for because you have a conscience and know right from wrong and chose to do wrong. Completely just and fair.
                  Yes, the difference being that those who are on their own because they don't know, never knew, and so don't believe in Jesus, go straight to hell. Hard to believe you can't see the difference or the injustice of the whole christian idea. I don't think you are that dumb, so I'll just have to assume that it's just your bias blocking your ability to face the facts and answer to them honestly and logically.
                  Again, not about me Sparko, its about the double standard, its about those people, past, presnt, and or future who have never heard of your god and therefore, being that we are all sinners, go straight to hell for their non-belief. Try being honest for a change and actually answer to that rather than making it about me.

Comment

Jimmy, I have answered everyone of your dumb objections and mischaracterizations. But because you are of a reprobate mind so you cannot grasp the truth and instead reject it so that you may continue to feel guiltless in your sin.
                    No you haven't answered my questions, you answered questions that I didn't ask, and that, I can only guess, is because you can not answer them, and are to dishonest to admit it.

Comment

No, you are not being genuine, you are trying to make this about me when you know thats not what I'm saying.

Yes, the difference being that those who are on their own because they don't know, never knew, and so don't believe in Jesus, go straight to hell. Hard to believe you can't see the difference or the injustice of the whole christian idea. I don't think you are that dumb, so I'll just have to assume that it's just your bias blocking your ability to face the facts and answer to them honestly and logically.

Again, not about me Sparko, its about the double standard, its about those people, past, presnt, and or future who have never heard of your god and therefore, being that we are all sinners, go straight to hell for their non-belief. Try being honest for a change and actually answer to that rather than making it about me.

I keep telling you and you keep ignoring me, JimL that they don't go to hell because of not knowing God. They only go to hell if they commit sins. That they do things that they know are wrong.

If you had a person who did not know that murder was illegal and he murdered his wife, should he be sent to prison, or would the judge just say, "oh well, you didn't know it was illegal so you are free to go?" - apparently you would say, "it's not fair to send him to prison for not knowing that murder was against the law!"

Comment

• While you're of course right, Sparko, that, like the Governor who commutes a criminal's sentence, it doesn't make it unfair if he chooses not to commute some other criminal's sentence (assuming both criminals are, in fact, guilty of their crime), I think the objection is that if God is all-loving, why doesn't he offer the same unfair grace to all people? The answer, of course, is that he does, and I think that's what JimL is not getting here (well, among other things).

So, in answering the question, "what about those who've never heard" Christian philosophers offer a number of different answers. William Lane Craig, for instance, offers an answer based on his view on Molinism. He suggests that, since God would that all are saved, yet knowing that not all will accept that salvation, the world is ordered in such a way so that the optimal number of those who would accept Christ were born in the time and place that they were/are so that they may readily hear and receive the Gospel message. Those who were not/are not in places to receive the Gospel were those who never would have accepted Christ in the first place. It's an interesting theory, and you can read Craig's essay on the subject here: http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billc...s/middle2.html As well as his follow-ups to it here and here.

Some instead take the view that everyone is judged on what knowledge they did come into contact with, and what they did with that knowledge, even if they were never formally evangelized in the name of Jesus.

I think both theories are interesting, and plausible from a scriptural perspective. Whatever the fate of those who have not heard, God is just and fair, and no one will come before Christ and complain "I didn't have enough to go on."
                        Last edited by Adrift; 10-18-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          While you're of course right, Sparko, that, like the Governor who commutes a criminal's sentence, it doesn't make it unfair if he chooses not to commute some other criminal's sentence (assuming both criminals are, in fact, guilty of their crime), I think the objection is that if God is all-loving, why doesn't he offer the same unfair grace to all people? The answer, of course, is that he does, and I think that's what JimL is not getting here (well, among other things).
                          No, he doesn't, and just saying so doesn't make it so. You need to explain how God offers the same saving grace to those who never knew him, along with the fact that according to Christianity, one needs to believe in Jesus in order to be saved by grace.
                          So, in answering the question, "what about those who've never heard" Christian philosophers offer a number of different answers. William Lane Craig, for instance, offers an answer based on his view on Molinism. He suggests that, since God would that all are saved, yet knowing that not all will accept that salvation, the world is ordered in such a way so that the optimal number of those would accept Christ were born in the time and place that they were/are so that they may readily hear and receive the Gospel message. Those who were not/are not in places to receive the Gospel were those who never would have accepted Christ in the first place. It's an interesting theory, and you can read Craig's essay on the subject here: http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billc...s/middle2.html As well as his follow-ups to it here and here.
                          No thats a very poor theory, full of holes. There were millions of people who died long before the gospels who knew nothing of Jesus, and there were millions who lived at the time who were no where close to where jesus was born and who had never heard anything about him. And why would god create people that he knew would never accept Christ anyway only to doom them to hell eternal?
                          Some instead take the view that everyone is judged on what knowledge they did come into contact with, and what they did with that knowledge, even if they were never formally evangelized in the name of Jesus.
                          That doesn't answer the question concerning those people who had no knowledge of jesus and therefore had no belief in Jesus, unless your argument is that believing in Jesus is not a requirement of salvation.
                          I think both theories are interesting, and plausible from a scriptural perspective. Whatever the fate of those who have not heard God is just and fair, and no one will come before Christ and complain "I didn't have enough to go on."
                          Is belief in Jesus a requirement of salvation or not?

Comment

I keep telling you and you keep ignoring me, JimL that they don't go to hell because of not knowing God. They only go to hell if they commit sins. That they do things that they know are wrong.

If you had a person who did not know that murder was illegal and he murdered his wife, should he be sent to prison, or would the judge just say, "oh well, you didn't know it was illegal so you are free to go?" - apparently you would say, "it's not fair to send him to prison for not knowing that murder was against the law!"
                            As Adrift has made clear below, you have serious comprehension problems Sparko, either that or you are just being deliberately dishonest.

Comment

• If you don't break the law you don't go to jail. Pretty simple.
                              If you do go to prison, then a pardon would be the only way out.

If you don't sin, you don't go to hell.
                              Now if you do sin, then Jesus is the only way out.

Comment

No thats a very poor theory, full of holes. There were millions of people who died long before the gospels who knew nothing of Jesus, and there were millions who lived at the time who were no where close to where jesus was born and who had never heard anything about him. And why would god create people that he knew would never accept Christ anyway only to doom them to hell eternal?
                                That you respond with this shows that you haven't even bothered to attempt to comprehend the synopsis Adrift posted, let alone Craig's article.
                                That doesn't answer the question concerning those people who had no knowledge of jesus and therefore had no belief in Jesus, unless your argument is that believing in Jesus is not a requirement of salvation.

Is belief in Jesus a requirement of salvation or not?
                                It does address it, actually. If you'd take a moment to think about it, the possibility of salvation without having heard of Jesus would necessarily entail belief in Jesus not being a requirement.
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment