Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hugh Hefner is now in hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    He has heard the gospel, so he won't be getting another chance. This finite point of mortal existance is the only chance he gets to choose an eternity with or without God.
    Must be nice, sometimes I wish I were ignorant too.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Yes, it entails rejecting the assertion that the thing even exists. How is that not the most extreme possible rejection of the thing itself?
      You can't reject something if you don't know that it exists. Stop being foolish OBP!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Give me some scientific evidence that only science can answer such questions.
        Only science has the methodology to provide empirically verifiable evidence re the universe and its origins, religion only has alleged divine revelation. The former has an impressive track record; the latter has been shown to be wrong on numerous occasions.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          He has heard the gospel, so he won't be getting another chance. This finite point of mortal existance is the only chance he gets to choose an eternity with or without God.
          Prove it!
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Haven't been keeping up with scientific progress over the years I take it? We know the age of the universe now, as a result of scientific evidence, and its a lot older than 6000 years old.
            Yes the universe appears to be on the order of 14 billion years old. That does not even approach an answer to my request for "some scientific evidence that only science can answer such questions." I take it you have no such evidence. Notice the word "only."
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              Only science has the methodology to provide empirically verifiable evidence re the universe and its origins, religion only has alleged divine revelation. The former has an impressive track record; the latter has been shown to be wrong on numerous occasions.
              Baseless claim not scientific evidence. I agree that the scientific method is the best for examining the universe, but . . .
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

You can't reject something if you don't know that it exists. Stop being foolish OBP!
                I agree that you can't reject something if you don't know if it might exist (i.e., if no one has ever been told about an invisible pink unicorn, then one cannot be accused of rejecting said IPU). That is not what you've been claiming, Jim. You've been claiming that if someone rejects the existence of something, they can't be rejecting that something.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I agree that you can't reject something if you don't know if it might exist (i.e., if no one has ever been told about an invisible pink unicorn, then one cannot be accused of rejecting said IPU). That is not what you've been claiming, Jim. You've been claiming that if someone rejects the existence of something, they can't be rejecting that something.
                  Well perhaps you simply misunderstand. I'm rejecting your assertion, the theist's assertion, that a god exists. If ever I come across a god, then I can decide whether or not to reject him/her/it.

Comment

Well perhaps you simply misunderstand. I'm rejecting your assertion, the theist's assertion, that a god exists. If ever I come across a god, then I can decide whether or not to reject him/her/it.
                    That's what I understood you to be saying. The problem is that it's nonsense, as I've explained above. I don't know how else to get it across to you.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That's what I understood you to be saying. The problem is that it's nonsense, as I've explained above. I don't know how else to get it across to you.
                      Okay, don't bother then, apparently you are determined to be pig headed about this.

Comment

Okay, don't bother then, apparently you are determined to be pig headed about this.
                        That's clever, Jim, albeit highly ironic.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Baseless claim not scientific evidence.
                          There is scientific evidence that shows without doubt YEC is completely wrong. Also that the Adam and Eve story cannot possibly be true, given that biology shows definitively that humans are descended from a non-human ancestor...to give but two examples.

I agree that the scientific method is the best for examining the universe, but . . .
                          But what?

Comment

Being aware that someone has come up with the notion of an invisible pink unicorn, does not necessarily entail actively rejecting the reality of IPU’s just as one does not actively reject other fanciful notions such as leprechauns or Zeus or Jesus the god/man. One merely evaluates these notions with a grain of salt.

Comment

But what?
                              But you said:
                              Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              Science is all that can answer questions re the origins of the universe. . . .
                              And I asked you to:
                              Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Give me some scientific evidence that only science can answer such questions.
                              So far all you have done is give me some science work done within the existing universe no evidence that ONLY science can can answer such questions. You have failed to meet my challenge.

Comment

Being aware that someone has come up with the notion of an invisible pink unicorn, does not necessarily entail actively rejecting the reality of IPU’s just as one does not actively reject other fanciful notions such as leprechauns or Zeus or Jesus the god/man. One merely evaluates these notions with a grain of salt.
                                Your blindingly obvious long-standing hostility to Jesus the god/man puts the lie to your assertion. "Grain of salt"? You're reading lately an awful lot like a closet Christian/conservative pretending to be otherwise in order to make the opposition look bad.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X