Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christian Necrophobes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    FIFY. I've noticed that tendency among atheists.

FIFY

A few points lower on the dispassionate index than most religious sites.
    Name one... China perhaps? Russia?
    Most of Scandinavia, much of Europe, Australia, Canada, New Zealand. The most violent and inequitable nation of the Western world is the only one where Christianity still has real influence, i.e. the USA.

Goodness - you got something right about Christianity.
    Yeah! But while Christianity remains feudal (according to you), the rest of the developed world has progressed and developed into tolerant representative democracies.

Comment

• The churches abandoned the principles of Christianity to pursue that course. Calling them Christian would be equivalent to a military dictator seizing control of a democratic country and have you still calling the country a democracy.

Most of Scandinavia, much of Europe, Australia, Canada, New Zealand. The most violent and inequitable nation of the Western world is the only one where Christianity still has real influence, i.e. the USA.
      Interesting perspective.

Yeah! But while Christianity remains feudal (according to you), the rest of the developed world has progressed and developed into tolerant representative democracies.
      Look around - there's not a whole lot of "tolerant representative" in evidence - no more here than in the USA.

Well, perhaps a bit more here: but it is being steadily eroded.
      Last edited by tabibito; 09-05-2015, 05:01 AM.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The churches abandoned the principles of Christianity to pursue that course. Calling them Christian would be equivalent to a military dictator seizing control of a democratic country and have you still calling the country a democracy.
        http://www.logicalfallacies.info/pre...true-scotsman/

Interesting perspective.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y-adjusted_HDI

Look around - there's not a whole lot of "tolerant representative" in evidence - no more here than in the USA.

Well, perhaps a bit more here: but it is being steadily eroded.

Comment

• If you choose to see it as represented by the "no true Scotsman" fallacy, there is little that I can do about it. The "factually based perspective" is quite readily distinguishable in Church history - the single most significant event in post 65 (or thenabouts) AD Church history.

I note that Ireland comes in 10th, Israel 20th - both heavily influenced by religion, and even Malta and Italy rank ahead not only of the USA, but ahead of a whole swathe of non religious countries. If anything, the IHDI index is independent of religious affiliation.

Australia.

Regardless, apart from your religion, feudalism was mostly irrelevant by the 12th century.
          in Europe. And to this day, feudalism (within circumscribed areas) is far from irrelevant to Christianity - regardless of what the churches choose to make themselves.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            and yet Christianity started in an enculterated society of another religion (Judaism) and persecution and being hunted down and killed.

And today one of the largest Christian populations is in another enculturated society, China.
            What's this supposed to say other than some Christian conversions happen in places that are predominately another religion or religions? Is it supposed to take the sting out of your religion saying that non-Christians get eternally tortured for being other religions?

Also, you have to consider the type of evangelism that's causing Christianity elsewhere. You don't care if a Hinn or Bonnke spreads the fire, as long as there's ignition.

Comment

If you choose to see it as represented by the "no true Scotsman" fallacy, there is little that I can do about it. The "factually based perspective" is quite readily distinguishable in Church history - the single most significant event in post 65 (or thenabouts) AD Church history.
              Viewing it as the "no true Scotsman" fallacy is the only realistic way to view it given the bloody history of Christianity.

I note that Ireland comes in 10th, Israel 20th - both heavily influenced by religion, and even Malta and Italy rank ahead not only of the USA, but ahead of a whole swathe of non religious countries. If anything, the IHDI index is independent of religious affiliation.
              http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

Australia.
              in Europe. And to this day, feudalism (within circumscribed areas) is far from irrelevant to Christianity - regardless of what the churches choose to make themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                What's this supposed to say other than some Christian conversions happen in places that are predominately another religion or religions? Is it supposed to take the sting out of your religion saying that non-Christians get eternally tortured for being other religions?
                The argument that "the religion people take up is culturally determined" was addressed - your question is not related to the context of that issue.

The torture story is interesting though - it is never stated in the Bible that anyone is actually inflicting torture - only that there will be anguish and suffering. I therefore regard the criticisms as overblown, specious, and self serving.

Also, you have to consider the type of evangelism that's causing Christianity elsewhere. You don't care if a Hinn or Bonnke spreads the fire, as long as there's ignition.
                The rules that determine a valid identification as Christian are not made up by me - those rules are stated in the Bible. ("Scotsman fallacy" doesn't apply - the definitions are neither subjective nor ad hoc). It should therefore self evident that "prosperity gospel" preachers are not promoting Christianity. However, reports from China indicate a possibility that someone over there is.
                Last edited by tabibito; 09-06-2015, 12:22 AM.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                  Evidence of history. There's a reason atavisms in primates would never be expressed in a bird beak. We don't share a common ancestor with birds.
                  We share that same DNA. Explain that.
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                    We share that same DNA. Explain that.
                    Well we all started out with the same DNA way back when.

Comment

The churches abandoned the principles of Christianity to pursue that course. Calling them Christian would be equivalent to a military dictator seizing control of a democratic country and have you still calling the country a democracy.
                      This terribly problematic, and has been noted, the fallacy of the "true Scotsman." To give equal weight and prospective I could easily put forth the problem of who are the true atheists. IF I consider the true atheists as those that believe and support the Humanist Manifestos and the UU ideals, and those that followed Hitler, and Mao Tse Tong as not true atheists.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        This terribly problematic, and has been noted, the fallacy of the "true Scotsman." To give equal weight and prospective I could easily put forth the problem of who are the true atheists. IF I consider the true atheists as those that believe and support the Humanist Manifestos and the UU ideals, and those that followed Hitler, and Mao Tse Tong as not true atheists.
                        I am an atheist who believes in God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I am an atheist ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            Fear of death is an excellent reason to be a Christian.
                            Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                            Pointing to an emotion and saying ""see we win" is not an argument. An argument is not made on emotional foundations as pointed by the appeal to emotion fallacy.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Emotional_appeal
                            "Instead, we argue, it is necessary to shift the debate from the subject under consideration, instead exposing to public scrutiny the tactics they [denialists] employ and identifying them publicly for what they are."

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor
                              Fear of death is an excellent reason to be a Christian.
                              While I don't exactly agree - though it is true that fear of death is an excellent motivator to carefully consider Christianity - fear of drowning remains an excellent reason to reach for a life-raft.

Originally posted by Darth Obvious
                              Pointing to an emotion and saying ""see we win" is not an argument. An argument is not made on emotional foundations as pointed by the appeal to emotion fallacy.
                              This one would seem to be a non-sequitur in the context of the preceding discussion. Just as citing comments made in two different topics by two different people and pointing to an apparent contradiction is a non-sequitur.

Originally posted by Darth Vader
                              I find your lack of faith disturbing, Commander
                              Last edited by tabibito; 09-13-2015, 01:04 AM.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment