Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    That fear is loosing what one has. Life.

But there is a difference.
    There is very little difference. Other than our expanded contextualization of death that unfortunately was a side effect of a expanded intelligence, there is no significant difference.

You're saying we fear death because we're afraid of a holy god, but even our animist ancestors who knew nothing of a holy God (who worshiped nature only) feared death.
    Last edited by whag; 08-23-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

It is normal for those most fearful of death to deny the reality of an afterlife and the consequences of their denial.
      It is normal for those who fear death the most to seek salve in religion. That's why you're not foolish. You had a significant phobia of death that fundamentalist religion has relieved for you.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        In the sense that she wouldn't be able to effectively evangelize, she is. One must be minimally epistemelogically literate to convey religion to another person, and she clearly is not.
        As if you are qualified to tell ANY believer how to evangelize! I would take absolutely NO advice from you on how to point others to Christ. Especially in the area of epistemology. And yes, I do know what that big old fancified word means........oops, too bad for you, who thinks I am so illiterate.

I do not believe you even know what evangelism is. It is presenting the gospel, whether people like it, or the person presenting it, or not. It is presenting the Christ of the Bible and presenting the facts that all men are sinful, and are apart from God in their sin, and the only way to have the fellowship with God restored is to repent of their sin and accept Christ.

You want somebody who will tell you what you want to hear, who will water the gospel down, who will want you to "like them so you will like Jesus", who will candy-coat the consequences of sin, then I am not the one to "evangelize" to you.

Oh, wait. I just did.

So, carry on telling me I am an embarrassment to Christianity and that I am not an effective evangelist. I have just told you the way to God. His Spirit will have to take your blinders off. I pray He will.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It is normal for those who fear death the most to seek salve in religion. That's why you're not foolish. You had a significant phobia of death that fundamentalist religion has relieved for you.
          When will you become fearful of death enough that you will become foolish, whag?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I thought you were done with me. =)

As if you are qualified to tell ANY believer how to evangelize! I would take absolutely NO advice from you on how to point others to Christ. Especially in the area of epistemology. And yes, I do know what that big old fancified word means........oops, too bad for you, who thinks I am so illiterate.
            I do not believe you even know what evangelism is. It is presenting the gospel, whether people like it, or the person presenting it, or not. It is presenting the Christ of the Bible and presenting the facts that all men are sinful, and are apart from God in their sin, and the only way to have the fellowship with God restored is to repent of their sin and accept Christ.
            You want somebody who will tell you what you want to hear, who will water the gospel down, who will want you to "like them so you will like Jesus", who will candy-coat the consequences of sin, then I am not the one to "evangelize" to you.

Oh, wait. I just did.
            Not sure where you got that from. Probably a Jack Chick tract?

So, carry on telling me I am an embarrassment to Christianity and that I am not an effective evangelist. I have just told you the way to God. His Spirit will have to take your blinders off. I pray He will.

Comment

When will you become fearful of death enough that you will become foolish, whag?
              Whuh? Fear incapacitates the mind, affecting judgment in a big way. That's why panic results in bad decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                And what will you do Roy on that fateful day when you stand naked before the Righteous Judge of the universe? When all your justifications are blown away like so much dust, and your sin leaves you exposed with nothing to recommend you to your Creator. When His ears will be deaf as an adder to your terror filled pleas. But try to play the man Roy - walk into Hell with your head held high....
                Your fairy stories and infantile scare tactics are embarrassing in this day and age.

Comment

In the sense that she wouldn't be able to effectively evangelize, she is. One must be minimally epistemelogically literate to convey religion to another person, and she clearly is not.
                  It may come as a shock to you but when one is attempting to witness for Christ, to spread the Good News, it is exceptionally rare that you are also providing a science lesson. I'm a bit of an exception in that a substantial portion of those who I get in discussions with are those who have been led to believe that science and faith are not compatible. And even then the biggest point that I make is that accepting or rejecting evolution (or any other science based position is not a necessary component in accepting Christ. It is not an issue that your salvation is in the balance over.
                  Last edited by rogue06; 08-24-2015, 06:42 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    The usual ridicule without substance.
                    Please... PLEASE just shut up Frank.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The best evangelists are those who show, not tell.

If I was asked to rank TWebbers by their level of embarrassment to Xtianity mossy would be a very long way down the list.

Roy
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

If I was asked to rank TWebbers by their level of embarrassment to Xtianity mossy would be a very long way down the list.

Roy
                        When you put it like that ...
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Your fairy stories and infantile scare tactics are embarrassing in this day and age.
                          Hopefully Tass, all the atheists here will eventually sense the weight of their depravity and lostness, repent and accept the justification before God through the atoning work of Christ. No man is an island Bro, there is a place in the New Heavens and Earth that can only be filled by you... Your part of the continent.
                          Last edited by seer; 08-24-2015, 08:12 AM.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

Roy
                            An internet forum is a superficial way of judging someone. She may be incredible if I observed her in person, so point taken.

If, however, we judge Christians on the sophistication of their presentation, those with a kindergarten understanding of Genesis would necessarily get low marks.

Comment

And what will you do Roy on that fateful day when you stand naked before the Righteous Judge of the universe? When all your justifications are blown away like so much dust, and your sin leaves you exposed with nothing to recommend you to your Creator. When His ears will be deaf as an adder to your terror filled pleas. But try to play the man Roy - walk into Hell with your head held high....
                              The same thing that you will do when you stand on the deck of the Sun-god Ra's barge as it traverses the tunnel of Night, when your false faith evaporates in the face of the great serpent Apep, as his colossal neck uncoils and his jaws widen before you and the foetid stench from his gaping maw assails your senses and causes vomit to rise in your throat, and your heartfelt tear-filled cries for forgiveness for your ignorance avail you naught as the jaws close around your outstretched arms and you are plucked from the slowly gliding deck and tossed high into the icy void only to fall back towards those immense obsidian fangs which suck your ka from your body and consume them both, leaving just an empty sheut to fade away to nothingness...
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

No man is an island Bro, there is a place in the New Heavens and Earth that can only be filled by you... Your part of the continent.
                                As opposed to seer, who is currently personifying the incontinent.
                                Last edited by Roy; 08-24-2015, 09:29 AM.

Comment