Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Witnessing to Atheists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conspiracies are weird. Don't think the government is competent enough to pull one off.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think you're selling short the work of the Holy Spirit. Naturally, this is probably due to the fact that you believe He doesn't exist*. It's the principle of "fruit that remains".

*if, in fact, that's what you believe
      I don't believe the Holy Spirit exists, though I suppose there's few here who know what it is I truly believe anymore.

I don't sell the work short, however. In this particular case, it strikes me as more akin to agreeing to jump at the first glimmer of turbulence in the flight before having ever been handed the parachute. I could, were I so inclined, use the occasion of a funeral to really drive several points home relevant to Christian belief in an afterlife (pretending for a moment that I believed such things). Planting a seed, as mentioned, would be easily done with a little prudence, as the soil itself is already wet with tears and freshly turned for burial.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        My apologies to all those who interpreted my earlier post as an attack on their beliefs. This was not my intent. Clarification is in order.
        I've reread the post. The criticism in my previous post is not relevant now, and I retract it.

Comment

• Pascal's wager isn't really that good in that it just picks between two worldviews. So, better argument? Because quite a lot of arguments from both sides seem to be circular. Is it correct that both sides use arguments that only apply if their side is correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Pascal's wager isn't really that good in that it just picks between two worldviews. So, better argument? Because quite a lot of arguments from both sides seem to be circular. Is it correct that both sides use arguments that only apply if their side is correct?
            Not always. For example, any cosmological arguments can be marshalled for Islam or Judaism.

Comment

• Not to mention, even the demons believe that God exists, so just being a theist is not good enough. Necessary but not sufficient?

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                The OP relates an instantiation of Pascal's wager. My referenced post, in response to the OP, was not intended as a condemnation of non-YEC Christians, but rather as an instantiation of the general rebuttal to Pascal: What if you've chosen the wrong god? If one wishes to witness to atheists, one should be aware there are more gods than just the one within the ring. The choice is not merely whether to believe in Pascal's God, but in which god one should vest their belief. Choosing the wrong one could lead to disastrous consequences, as detailed.
                I'm sure the OP would consider it a step in the right direction if the only victory claimed was that the atheist at least began to consider "which god?" rather than "no god".

Comment

• Not to mention straw-god. Know who he is? The evil, sadistic god that some atheists think we believe in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anchor View Post
                    I'm sure the OP would consider it a step in the right direction if the only victory claimed was that the atheist at least began to consider "which god?" rather than "no god".
                    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    Not to mention straw-god. Know who he is? The evil, sadistic god that some atheists think we believe in.
                    Oh, I get it now. Y'all are trying to give examples on how not to witness to atheists. Well played.

Comment

• Or we could agree to disagree and just point out the options. I'm sure you already know what they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anchor View Post
                        Well, yeah, but it was a little more interesting than that, in that the atheist in question had grown up as a Jew, so it's not only accepting that there IS "a God", but that Jesus was His son. Not an easy thing for a Jew to consider, let alone that God is "real". And, I guess part of my point was that I never had to "preach" to her, or argue the point -- I was simply "living the testimony", and she was starting to "get it".
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Well, yeah, but it was a little more interesting than that, in that the atheist in question had grown up as a Jew, so it's not only accepting that there IS "a God", but that Jesus was His son. Not an easy thing for a Jew to consider, let alone that God is "real". And, I guess part of my point was that I never had to "preach" to her, or argue the point -- I was simply "living the testimony", and she was starting to "get it".
                          Yeah, wonder why they're so upset about that! It's almost like they want to convert us to atheism! (I'm kidding, unless that is what you atheists want.)
                          Last edited by Christianbookworm; 02-08-2014, 02:44 PM. Reason: they're not their

Comment

Yeah, wonder why they're so upset about that! It's almost like they want to convert us to atheism! (I'm kidding, unless that is what you atheists want.)
                            That is exactly what many atheists want, but I'm not among them. What I want to convert people to is the kind of thinking that made me an atheist. It doesn't always lead people to atheism. It usually does, but when it doesn't, I'm OK with that.

Comment

I guess that some atheists have a missionary zeal. But my main concern is that religious values are not given priority in the legislature over and above the equal civil rights of all citizens.

Comment

Pascal's wager isn't really that good in that it just picks between two worldviews. So, better argument? Because quite a lot of arguments from both sides seem to be circular. Is it correct that both sides use arguments that only apply if their side is correct?
                                The position on Pascal's Wager from an Annihilationist view such as mine is if you don't believe in God, no loss, you go into non-existence just as you believe. But why do so many atheists still complain that God is unfair to send them into a non-existence they already expect?

That's what I don't get. To me that shows an underlying belief in eternal life, and a jealousy that it is not given to them.

Comment