Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Matthew 12:40 an idiom?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marta,
    re: " 5th day of a 7 day week according to the Julian calendar or Jewish calendar?"

According to what ever calendar was used by the writers of the Gospels in the first century. But I don't see what difference it makes. Didn't both calendars have the 7 day week?

re: "Your not being real specific on which day it was - I'm just asking the question on which day that you meant? If you didn't say Wednesday and you didn't say Thursday - what day did you mean?"

I meant exactly what I said: "I think scripture most likely indicates that the crucifixion occurred on the 5th day of the week." - i.e, the 5th day of a 7 day week. I don't know how I can be any more specific.

re: "I gave you one: Transfiguration and Resurrection"

I don't see where the passage shows a daytime or a night time being forecast to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.

Comment

• rstrats; I'm glad to see that you're staying with me -

re: " 5th day of a 7 day week according to the Julian calendar or Jewish calendar?"

According to what ever calendar was used by the writers of the Gospels in the first century. But I don't see what difference it makes. Didn't both calendars have the 7 day week?
      They did - but Julian is figured much differently than the Jewish Calendar. You know, and bringing in another thought into this conversation, and on this subject, The Jewish Calendar. I don't want to copy the whole entire article on line - so the website is good to connect to.

The subject is getting off base but hopefully you can read a little bit off the track, Circumambulation - Tawaf, and the word - Widdershins, the definition is this - The use of the word also means "in a direction opposite to the usual", and in a direction contrary to the apparent course of the sun. Why is tawaf around the Kaaba performed in an anticlockwise direction? all movement in the universe, from the galaxy to the atom, is anticlockwise. The electron rotates around itself, then around the nucleus of the atom anticlockwise

Quick facts:

Comment

• rstrats

re: "Your not being real specific on which day it was - I'm just asking the question on which day that you meant? If you didn't say Wednesday and you didn't say Thursday - what day did you mean?"

I meant exactly what I said: "I think scripture most likely indicates that the crucifixion occurred on the 5th day of the week." - i.e, the 5th day of a 7 day week. I don't know how I can be any more specific.

5th day of a 7 day week> of a civil calendar year or a Jewish calendar year, I don't know? You said that there is a missing day, actually there are no missing days if we figure on John 13. That scriptural passage is giving us a hint that it was on the Eve of Passover but also, the day fell on the Shabbat. There are regulations that "guard" both high holidays especially when talking about everyday functions of what is permissible and what isn't, e.g. Kashrut for Erev Pesach (eve of Passover) and the Shabbat - both days landed on a Friday at sunset to sunrise Saturday! When the Eve of Passover falls on Shabbat, the Fast of the Firstborn customarily takes place on the Thursday. This is because it is forbidden to fast on Shabbat (except when Yom Kippur falls on Shabbat). Eve of Passover on Shabbat Meals are sometimes prepared on Thursday to avoid - cooking or doing work on the Shabbat, and yet, being the Eve of Passover. Read: (Luke 23:54 And that day was the preparation, and the shabbat drew on and, also resurrection, 'Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?began to plot Death of the First Born
        An even more glaring example of this is found by the tenth plague, makkas b'choros {the deaths of the firstborn children}. The Talmud [Berachos 4B] teaches that Hashem told Moshe that the deaths would occur b'chatzos -- precisely at midnight.

Comment

• Marta,

In the immortal words of Struther Martin, "What we have here is a failure to communicate".

Perhaps someone new looking in will know of some writing.

Comment

• Originally posted by rstrats View Post
            Marta,

In the immortal words of Struther Martin, "What we have here is a failure to communicate".

Perhaps someone new looking in will know of some writing.
            You had made the comment in post #43

Since it has again been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in - who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" means the tomb and who thinks that Matthew 12:40 is using common Jewish idiomatic language - will know of some writing which shows a phrase stating a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights being used in the first century or before when it absolutely couldn't have included at least parts of each one of the specific number of days and at least parts of each one of the specific number of nights.

Your comment:

that it is a common Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone (who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" means the tomb) knows of any writing that shows that a phrase stating a specific number of days as well as a specific number of nights was ever used in the first century or before when it absolutely couldn't have included at least parts of each one of the specific number of days and at least parts of each one of the specific number of nights?
            In order to answer your question don't you think you should first understand the way that the days are calculated and what they are based on, first? Even the Karaites argue over the fact on the sighting of the first new moon with the Jewish calendar over Passover.

He Created the Moon for Holidays: There can be no doubt that the biblical Holidays are dependent on the moon. The strongest proof of this is the passage in Ps 104,19 which declares:

"He created the moon for Mo'adim [appointed times]" Karaite Korner
            answer:http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/israel/jerusalem

Yes, maybe someone looking in/reading in will understand the reasoning of my answer for what day the crucifixion "might have" taken place because whoever won't figure on days 10 day ,15th day, 8th day, 7th day etc.

Comment

• Marta,
              re: "In order to answer your question don't you think you should first understand the way that the days are calculated and what they are based on, first?"

No, I do not think that that is required to answer my question. I simply am asking for actual examples where a daytime or a night time were forecast to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.

Comment

Marta,
                re: "In order to answer your question don't you think you should first understand the way that the days are calculated and what they are based on, first?"

No, I do not think that that is required to answer my question. I simply am asking for actual examples where a daytime or a night time were forecast to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.
                Exodus 24:18

Comment

• Marta,
                  re: " 'And he stayed on the mountain forty days and forty nights.' Exodus 24:18."

I don't see where the account shows that at least a part of each one of the forty days and at least a part of each one of the forty nights didn't take place.

Comment

• since it's been awhile, someone new looking in may know of examples.

Comment

• If I tell you where people got the idea that "three days and three nights" is a Jewish idiom, will you have this thread closed?

Also, do you know how to use the quote function?

Comment

• Adrift,
                        re: "If I tell you where people got the idea that 'three days and three nights' is a Jewish idiom, will you have this thread closed?"

No, because that is not the question. The question is about it being a "common' idiom; i.e.,examples where it was said the a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.

re: "Also, do you know how to use the quote function?"

I would guess you click on the "Reply With Quote" button. Any particular reason for asking?

Comment

No, because that is not the question. The question is about it being a "common' idiom; i.e.,examples where it was said the a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.
                          But that IS the question. By revealing to you where people got the idea "three days and three nights", it will answer the question about it being a "common" idiom. If I offer that to you, you'll finally find rest, and be able to close your years and years worth of threads on this topic here and on other forums. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

I would guess you click on the "Reply With Quote" button.
                          That's right!

Any particular reason for asking?
                          Why yes, there is! By clicking on that little button it allows your posts to be read easier, and it cuts out some of the hassle of deleting one's own comments when replying to you. It's really a win-win situation.

Is there any particular reason why you haven't used that button previously?

Comment

• Adrift,
                            re: "Wouldn't that be wonderful?"

Indeed it would. I await your actual examples.

re: " Is there any particular reason why you haven't used that button previously?"

Yes there is. It's the way I've always done it, i.e., addressing the post to the person to whom my comment is intended, and referencing (re:) the statement in question.

Comment

Indeed it would. I await your actual examples.
                              Will you have the thread closed upon the revelation?

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
                              Yes there is. It's the way I've always done it, i.e., addressing the post to the person to whom my comment is intended, and referencing (re:) the statement in question.
                              Do understand that most people likely find that bothersome and unnecessary, or do you not care how others may feel about that sort of thing? If I asked politely, could you use it from now on in this thread?

Comment

• Adrift,
                                re: "Will you have the thread closed upon the revelation?"

I can ask to have it closed, but can't guarantee that it will be.

re: "If I asked politely, could you use it from now on in this thread?"

Other than this one, it won't be necessary as this will be my last post because you are going to submit actual examples of writing that has daytimes or night times being said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.

Comment