Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Problems with Noah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    By the way, I was asked in the other thread what sort of reading I prefer for Noah. I'm still working it out myself; my own view of inspiration here needs refining. I remember reading an online discussion involving Paul Seely, who has written on this subject from a Christian perspective, and he conjectured there was a local flood at some point in the Black Sea area that became a kernel for the account.
    Thanks, KG. I don't doubt there was a kernel. The huge extrapolation from the mere occurrence of a geologic event is what I question.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      Thanks, KG. I don't doubt there was a kernel. The huge extrapolation from the mere occurrence of a geologic event is what I question.
      OTOH, how do so many cultures from around the globe have a flood account

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html
      To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
        OTOH, how do so many cultures from around the globe have a flood account

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html
        The same reason so many cultures have gods similar in personality and intent. Hyperactive agency detection is one of humanity's tropes.

Perhaps, like KG said, there's a kernel of truth to the story, but the extrapolation of divine intent from a large-scale geological event is where it gets seriously wonky. We have all these gods regretting the creation of human beings who take woefully inefficient measures to reboot humanity. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          You don't think anybody here cares about the veracity of such things?
          I don't think Biblical literalists care.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            I don't think Biblical literalists care.
            I don't think you care about representing Biblical literalists correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              I don't know anyone here who doesn't care whether or not what they believe is true.
              Anyone who believes the flood story actually happened would qualify.

Comment

In other words, anyone who doesn't believe the same way you do doesn't care about truth.

Comment

I don't think you care about representing Biblical literalists correctly.
                  Okay.

In other words, anyone who doesn't believe the same way you do doesn't care about truth.
                  That's not true.
                  Last edited by Psychic Missile; 03-06-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

if its any consolation, I am in the minority with position, its not your fault if you cannot know/believe flood account
                    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

if its any consolation, I am in the minority with position, its not your fault if you cannot know/believe flood account
                      Thanks I guess.

Comment

Perhaps some are inclined to believe dubious stories. The disinclined can't help but do the opposite.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

--Galileo

Comment

Perhaps some are inclined to believe dubious stories. The disinclined can't help but do the opposite.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

--Galileo

Comment

I take this to mean you're naturally inclined while I am naturally disinclined.

Feel free to express your minority position any time.

Comment

I take this to mean you're naturally inclined while I am naturally disinclined.

Feel free to express your minority position any time.
                              inclined??
                              boyhowdie, you sure don't know me.

I wasn't 'looking' for no gods when it happened

Comment

inclined??
                                boyhowdie, you sure don't know me.

I wasn't 'looking' for no gods when it happened
                                When what happened?

Comment