Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Thoughts on "God and the Gay Christian"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Biblically sex is supposed to be only in a marriage and between a man and woman. Everyone else should remain chaste. No not everyone is gifted with the willpower to remain unmarried and chaste, but that is what is expected if they remain unmarried. That is why the bible says that if they can't handle it, then they should get married so as not to sin.

1 Cor 7:8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
    Which are all points Vines makes in this book. :)

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      That's terrible advice and a good recipe for a failed marriage. It completely ignores the fact that men with high libido might have a psychological and/or physical problem that marriage won't cure.

I'm reminded of the documentary on women with clitoral blood flow problems, 100 Orgasms a Day:

The point being that Paul's advice seems to be only for men. Consider the multitude of reasons men have "passion problems."
      He mentions "widows" and your argument is that it is too hard to remain celebate and monogamous so it should be OK to be promiscuous? Really?

I heard it is really hard for some alcoholics to not drink, so they should drink themselves to death and ruin their families in the process, right? Or I bet there are some people who really, really can't help going around raping women or killing them with an axe. So that's OK too.

Sheesh.

But back to the topic. It is clear that the bible condemns promiscuity and so your initial statement about the gist of Vine's argument is just wrong. If he does that sort of thing throughout the book, then he obviously isn't going to convince anyone unless they are already on his side. The bible is pretty clear about sexual sins, including homosexual behavior.

Comment

But back to the topic. It is clear that the bible condemns promiscuity and so your initial statement about the gist of Vine's argument is just wrong.
        Yeah back to topic. There isn't any advocacy of promiscuity in Vines' book.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
          Quite. Because the love is true and committed, the acts are therefore sanctified.

Comment

He mentions "widows" and your argument is that it is too hard to remain celebate and monogamous so it should be OK to be promiscuous? Really?

I heard it is really hard for some alcoholics to not drink, so they should drink themselves to death and ruin their families in the process, right? Or I bet there are some people who really, really can't help going around raping women or killing them with an axe. So that's OK too.

Sheesh.

But back to the topic. It is clear that the bible condemns promiscuity and so your initial statement about the gist of Vine's argument is just wrong. If he does that sort of thing throughout the book, then he obviously isn't going to convince anyone unless they are already on his side. The bible is pretty clear about sexual sins, including homosexual behavior.
            The Bible is far from clear on sexual sins. One need only look at David's and Solomon's cadre of wives and concubines to see the fuzziness that surrounds the topic, especially with regard to context and the progressive revelation about homosexuality.

As for what you said about promiscuity, I didn't advocate that. I merely said that high libido can point to psychological and physical problems that marriage isn't necessarily a solution to.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
              Quite. Because the love is true and committed, the acts are therefore sanctified.
              Are you suggesting that committed, sexually-exclusive life partners can be characterized as "promiscuous"?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                Polygamy and concubinage is sacrosanct and full of warm love love-y feelings.

Comment

1) It seems to me that Vines' arguments are merely a repackaging of all the liberal arguments made in the past about how said verses have been misinterpreted. Indeed, the expectation that a young man without theological or ancient language qualifications would suddenly discover some game-changing approach or hidden meaning behind the text that scholars have missed for centuries was always a little far-fetched to begin with.

2) Dr. Michael Brown has a relatively helpful dialogue with Mr. Vines here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-bTqIJP2JI

3) For those interested Dr. James White also has a 5 hour long talk on this issue as well: http://www.aomin.org/aoblog/index.ph...anity-refuted/

Comment

sorry sea. I didn't even notice I was responding to Whag's post. I automagically thought it was your comment.

I have made a decision to not respond to Whag as much as possible. so ignore my last post. I need to pay more attention to the avatars!

Comment

Are you suggesting that committed, sexually-exclusive life partners can be characterized as "promiscuous"?
                      Where did I do so?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                        1) It seems to me that Vines' arguments are merely a repackaging of all the liberal arguments made in the past about how said verses have been misinterpreted. Indeed, the expectation that a young man without theological or ancient language qualifications would suddenly discover some game-changing approach or hidden meaning behind the text that scholars have missed for centuries was always a little far-fetched to begin with.
                        It's not an "everyone has been missing this and I'm the great discoverer!" kind of book. There is a long history of doubt that this or that passage was really condemning committed same-sex relationships. What this book does is, yes, package these ideas in a coherent, accessible way.

Plus, it's a relatively recent thing for the general public to acknowledge that there are people with exclusively same-sex orientation. It's an even more recent thing to see Exodus International close down its "reparative therapy" efforts for being ineffective and damaging.

2) Dr. Michael Brown has a relatively helpful dialogue with Mr. Vines here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-bTqIJP2JI
                        Cool, thanks!

3) For those interested Dr. James White also has a 5 hour long talk on this issue as well: http://www.aomin.org/aoblog/index.ph...anity-refuted/
                        What does he do? Read the book in its entirety while giving a running commentary? :P

Comment

sorry sea. I didn't even notice I was responding to Whag's post. I automagically thought it was your comment.
                          Hah, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                            1)
                            I watched this, Matt got his clock cleaned, but I think he is sincere.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              I watched this, Matt got his clock cleaned, but I think he is sincere.
                              Nonsense, to borrow a common phrase of yours. Brown basically just ignored most of Vines' points and then demonstrated stunning thick-headedness trying to argue in favor of conversion therapy even when the premier conversion therapy organization in the world shut down and admitted that conversion therapy doesn't work in the vast majority of cases.
                              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                                Nonsense, to borrow a common phrase of yours. Brown basically just ignored most of Vines' points and then demonstrated stunning thick-headedness trying to argue in favor of conversion therapy even when the premier conversion therapy organization in the world shut down and admitted that conversion therapy doesn't work in the vast majority of cases.
                                What are you talking about? Conversion therapy, whether it works or not, has nothing to do with weather homosexual behavior is defined as sin in scripture. And Matt's main point was not even about conversion therapy.
                                Last edited by seer; 02-20-2015, 02:53 PM.
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment