Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Secular Morality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QU

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
    You having a plan /=/ God having a plan
    I know that....

Comment

• Originally posted by Cornell View Post
      You just made my point for me

I had an 'intention' on being here so I am part of a plan.
      No, in your world you are are commanded to follow a script, you don't do good because you make the choice to do so, because you believe it to be right to do so, you do what you do because like an automaton you are following commands out of fear of being inhilated or in want of the reward of eternal existence. Thats what you call " your purpose."
      Even if we don't know what the plan is, we are still part of a plan.
      Yes, for good or evil, you will blindly obey!
      This is all I need to have an advantage of significance, because right off the bat, my existence is ultimately part of something 'objective' to my opinion on the matter.
      Yes, it must be nice not having to think and take responsibility for ones own dicisions.
      Being part of something objectively, means I am significant to something objectively.
      If you have no self respect, if you can find no meaning to your own existence, then who cares if as a created toy you are objectively significant.
      I can't say the same for your magical universe which makes 'signifance' arbitrary since it is dependent on subjectiveness and an 'accidental' foundation.
      You're the one living in a magical universe. Your significance is that of a thoughtless puppets whose voice is not his own.
      Last edited by JimL; 08-09-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Jim, Jim, Jim I can' keep up with all the non-sequiturs so can you actually refute what I actually said instead of going into projections of what you assume to be my stance on philosophical positions relating to theology?

So once again

If X had an 'intention' of being here, does that make them part of a plan? Yes or no?

I also said

" Even if we don't know what the plan is, we are still part of a plan."

Which you conceded, so that is an advantage in my favor.

Then I said

" Being part of something objectively, means I am significant to something objectively"

You then claimed that If I had no self respect such and such would occur, however, whether I had self respect or not it doesn't have anything to do with what I said, because 'objective' means 'minds independent' and therefore it doesn't matter how I respect myself, because my claim could be made by any human, as it was a universal claim.

So do you agree or not?

Your last response is a poor defense of your position which amounts to a tu quoque and it makes no sense, as how is what you said have to do with whether or not an objective purpose logically follows from an intention which occurred that ultimately makes the subject be a part of a plan?

Can you try to put your emotions away and address what I am saying this time?
        Last edited by Cornell; 08-09-2015, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Jim, Jim, Jim I can' keep up with all the non-sequiturs so can you actually refute what I actually said instead of going into projections of what you assume to be my stance on philosophical positions relating to theology?

So once again

If X had an 'intention' of being here, does that make them part of a plan? Yes or no?

I also said

" Even if we don't know what the plan is, we are still part of a plan."

Which you conceded, so that is an advantage in my favor.

Then I said

" Being part of something objectively, means I am significant to something objectively"

You then claimed that If I had no self respect such and such would occur, however, whether I had self respect or not it doesn't have anything to do with what I said, because 'objective' means 'minds independent' and therefore it doesn't matter how I respect myself, because my claim could be made by any human, as it was a universal claim.

So do you agree or not?

Your last response is a poor defense of your position which amounts to a tu quoque and it makes no sense, as how is what you said have to do with whether or not an objective purpose logically follows from an intention which occurred that ultimately makes the subject be a part of a plan?

Can you try to put your emotions away and address what I am saying this time?
          What Im saying is that there is nothing significant about being a piece of someone elses puzzle, particularly when you are ignorant of and can not even articulate what your purpose is.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            What Im saying is that there is nothing significant about being a piece of someone elses puzzle, particularly when you are ignorant of and can not even articulate what your purpose is.
            BUt that just looks like an emotional rant on your part and nothing else.

One doesn't need to know what their purpose is in order to have a purpose to begin with, because the purpose exists anyways. This is why I use the word 'objective'. The purpose doesn't depend on me knowing what it is, it depends on whether or not I have one.

Comment

One doesn't need to know what their purpose is in order to have a purpose to begin with, because the purpose exists anyways. This is why I use the word 'objective'. The purpose doesn't depend on me knowing what it is, it depends on whether or not I have one.
              No, you don't have one. If you don't know what you are doing, then "you" don't have a purpose.

Comment

So you have a purpose but you don't know what your purpose is. Gotya!

Comment

No, you don't have one. If you don't know what you are doing, then "you" don't have a purpose.
                  That doesn't make sense Jim. If a seeing eye dog doesn't really understand his purpose, yet does his job, does that mean he doesn't have a purpose?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    So you have a purpose but you don't know what your purpose is. Gotya!
                    Yeah just like I can purposely give my baby pears instead of apples, and the baby will eat it, not knowing why I choose pears over apples.

But yet, I still had a purpose to do something, and the person that was affected by that something had no idea what my purpose was.

In other words... I don't see a problem

Comment

Ridiculous

I can raise my infant in a way where I have a plan for her this week, and yet she wouldn't realize what my purpose was, but the plan still exists.

In other words....I don't see a problem

Comment

Yeah just like I can purposely give my baby pears instead of apples, and the baby will eat it, not knowing why I choose pears over apples.

But yet, I still had a purpose to do something, and the person that was affected by that something had no idea what my purpose was.

In other words... I don't see a problem

Comment

• No, there is an 'intention' taking place when I choose one fruit over another.

All I am saying right now is that our species was 'intended' to be here, so I accept a teleology.

And that intentions imply a goal to take place

This is all I need to work with

Comment

No, there is an 'intention' taking place when I choose one fruit over another.
                            "An intention" but, according to your example, not your intention.

All I am saying right now is that our species was 'intended' to be here, so I accept a teleology.
                            You can say that if you wish and I can disregard it as unsubstantiated nonsense.

And that intentions imply a goal to take place
                            ...even when they're God's intentions and not yours.

This is all I need to work with
                            So it seems.

Comment

Ridiculous

I can raise my infant in a way where I have a plan for her this week, and yet she wouldn't realize what my purpose was, but my plan still exists.
                              Your purpose, your plan, not your childs purpose.
                              In other words....I don't see a problem
                              You don't see the problem in blindly following a plan?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                "An intention" but, according to your example, not your intention.

You can say that if you wish and I can disregard it as unsubstantiated nonsense.

...even when they're God's intentions and not yours.

So it seems.
                                an intention that plays a role in my life (whether I like it or not), and yet I am not the source of it entails that an objective purpose exists. This aligns with a teleology because a final cause is present.

Comparing human 'intentions' to a God's 'intentions' is a false analogy. This is because of the difference between 'necessity' and 'contingency'.

My intentions don't create physical reality for contingent beings, so what's up with the attempt of trying to make humans analogous to a necessary being?
                                Last edited by Cornell; 08-25-2015, 10:59 PM.

Comment