Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Glenn Miller on genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjolras: What the NT teaches about issue X is abhorrent.

Random poster: I don't think that's what the NT says about issue X in the first place.

Enjolras: Oh, I agree, I don't think the support for that particular interpretation is particularly strong either.

Third person: Then why claim that the NT teaches that particular view in the first place?

Enjolras: I'm not claiming that the NT espouses that position, I'm simply engaging with what most Christians believe the NT teaches about X.

Third person: Except that's pretty much the opposite of what you were doing.

Enjolras: You're just being pedantic.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Yahweh is the NT God.
      The people who wrote the NT might have thought so. Or they might not have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        Enjolras: What the NT teaches about issue X is abhorrent.

Random poster: I don't think that's what the NT says about issue X in the first place.

Enjolras: Oh, I agree, I don't think the support for that particular interpretation is particularly strong either.

Third person: Then why claim that the NT teaches that particular view in the first place?

Enjolras: I'm not claiming that the NT espouses that position, I'm simply engaging with what most Christians believe the NT teaches about X.

Third person: Except that's pretty much the opposite of what you were doing.

Enjolras: You're just being pedantic.

You seriously want to drag this out more, even though I have clarified my position several times? I didn't say I actually agreed with Chris Date, only that Mohler made a lousy defense of the traditional position. I don't know what the 'correct' view is, or even if there is only Biblical position on the topic. That's a debate for Christians to have among themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enjolras View Post
          You seriously want to drag this out more, even though I have clarified my position several times? I didn't say I actually agreed with Chris Date, only that Mohler made a lousy defense of the traditional position. I don't know what the 'correct' view is, or even if there is only Biblical position on the topic. That's a debate for Christians to have among themselves.
          I'm just making fun of your inability to express yourself clearly. What you wrote in post #26 was equivalent to stating, in no uncertain terms, that the NT teaches the eternal torment view of hell. To later just do a full 180 when someone calls you out on it and claim that's not really what you meant, even though it's exactly what you said just reeks of desperation, and I can't help but find that slightly amusing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
            But your sin-tainted moral intuition does approve?
            It approves of some acts. However, I do not believe that the approval of my intuition has anything to do with whether such acts are consistent or actually happened, so I do not make the corresponding conclusion founded on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
              LPot, do you support the killing of children of ISIS members? If not, what's the difference based on your justification?
              Do you have any idea what the mentality is of those in the ISIS and other terrorist groups PM? Well, let me give you a bit of an idea. Here is some samples of what Hamas shows children:

Bombs are more precious than children... and don't you like the end where the little girl implies that she too is going to be a suicide bomber? Yep, that is the mentality that we are dealing with over there PM.

You might say, "But that isn't the ISIS." So here is an article just for you:

On the streets of Syria and Iraq, ISIS militants are building a small army — literally. The use and recruitment of child soldiers is a war crime. It's also a practice which ISIS has boasted of in photos and videos splashed across the Internet with titles such as the "Cubs of the Islamic State."
              http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isi...-state-n241821

I hate to burst your bubble, but your question and its phrasing reveals your ignorance. What do you do, when these 'children' turn out to be killers too and want to kill you? What do you do than?
              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 02-21-2015, 08:51 AM.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                2 and 3 are the same and equally disturbing. Why would the children have to know their families were slaughtered?
                I'm pretty sure that most children are going to remember a war or are you using the phrase 'child' to only mean very young children? Last I checked, children are not all babies and can be trained in combat too. Don't believe me, see my link to PM that shows you that children can indeed be trained as soldiers.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  I'm just making fun of your inability to express yourself clearly. What you wrote in post #26 was equivalent to stating, in no uncertain terms, that the NT teaches the eternal torment view of hell. To later just do a full 180 when someone calls you out on it and claim that's not really what you meant, even though it's exactly what you said just reeks of desperation, and I can't help but find that slightly amusing.
                  I'm glad you've found a way to amuse yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enjolras View Post
                    I'm glad you've found a way to amuse yourself.
                    Thank you.

Comment

• I'm sorry but I do have to agree with Chrawnus on this one. I always try to interact with the strongest arguments my opponents present, and literally the only argument in your post #26 was a point you admitted you did not find compelling from a Christian perspective. I think it would have been better to add the caveat that many Christians believe X rather than just to assert flat out what "God does in Christianity".
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        Do you have any idea what the mentality is of those in the ISIS and other terrorist groups PM? Well, let me give you a bit of an idea. Here is some samples of what Hamas shows children:

Bombs are more precious than children... and don't you like the end where the little girl implies that she too is going to be a suicide bomber? Yep, that is the mentality that we are dealing with over there PM.

You might say, "But that isn't the ISIS." So here is an article just for you:

On the streets of Syria and Iraq, ISIS militants are building a small army — literally. The use and recruitment of child soldiers is a war crime. It's also a practice which ISIS has boasted of in photos and videos splashed across the Internet with titles such as the "Cubs of the Islamic State."
                        http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isi...-state-n241821

I hate to burst your bubble, but your question and its phrasing reveals your ignorance. What do you do, when these 'children' turn out to be killers too and want to kill you? What do you do than?
                        You are a disgusting psychopath.

Comment

You are a disgusting psychopath.
                          We're just primates. What's the deal?
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            We're just primates. What's the deal?
                            LPoT thinks that if we kill an enemy soldier, we should kill that soldier's children, the implication being that people should be killed based on their potential wrongdoing. I don't think she believes in that implication, because it would result in all people with an real or imagined likelihood of murder being killed. Therefore, she is justifying child murder without belief in her own argument. She wants innocent children to die and she is willing to make justifications she doesn't believe in.

If you want a secular reason to not kill people, that's another topic.

Comment

LPoT thinks that if we kill an enemy soldier, we should kill that soldier's children, the implication being that people should be killed based on their potential wrongdoing. I don't think she believes in that implication, because it would result in all people with an real or imagined likelihood of murder being killed. Therefore, she is justifying child murder without belief in her own argument. She wants innocent children to die and she is willing to make justifications she doesn't believe in.

If you want a secular reason to not kill people, that's another topic.
                              She didn't say to kill them. Just that the situation is more complicated than you are making it. Those kids wwould need tons of therapy and some way of ensuring they don't go on a murderous rampage because they got turned into tyke bombs.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                She didn't say to kill them. Just that the situation is more complicated than you are making it. Those kids wwould need tons of therapy and some way of ensuring they don't go on a murderous rampage because they got turned into tyke bombs.
                                This is within the context of God ordering children to be killed because, as LPoT said, they might seek revenge. I'd rather wait for her to flip-flop or double down than go on a tangent based on an excuse.

Comment