Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does 2 + 2 = 4 need a god to be true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Hayward View Post
    Just to muddy the water yet further, 2 + 2 = 5 (and 2 + 2 =4 is incorrect) for sufficiently large values of 2, and sufficiently small values of 5.
    eg 2.4 + 2.4 = 4.8
    2.4 is not a value of 2, and 4.8 is not a value of 5. "Approximations to" are not "values of."

There's also the question of how to add haystacks (2 + 2 = 1?) or shoals.
    Here, you are conflating "adding" and "combining." These are not the same operation.

And if I add two ingredients and two more ingredients, might I end up with one cake? If I add two children to two adults (and all are human, remember, so we are not adding dissimilars), I definitely end up with one nuclear family. I agree with Bill, 2 + 2 = 4 is system-dependent.
    Despite your protestations, you are utilizing dissimilars. Ingredients compose cakes, but are not equivalent to cakes. Humans compose families, but are not equivalent to families. You are conflating units in precisely the same manner that Bill was.
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Just to muddy the water yet further, 2 + 2 = 5 (and 2 + 2 =4 is incorrect) for sufficiently large values of 2, and sufficiently small values of 5.
      eg 2.4 + 2.4 = 4.8

There's also the question of how to add haystacks (2 + 2 = 1?) or shoals. And if I add two ingredients and two more ingredients, might I end up with one cake? If I add two children to two adults (and all are human, remember, so we are not adding dissimilars), I definitely end up with one nuclear family. I agree with Bill, 2 + 2 = 4 is system-dependent.
      Totally not relevant to a quantity of two taken twice being equal to four. And that simple truth needing God. Without a understanding who and "what" God is and to what the term "God" refers, it can certainy appear that God is in no way needed.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Totally not relevant to a quantity of two taken twice being equal to four. And that simple truth needing God. Without a understanding who and "what" God is and to what the term "God" refers, it can certainy appear that God is in no way needed.
        Even with a number of possible ways of "understanding [of] who and 'what' God is and to what the term 'God' refers," it can certainly appear that God is in no way needed. It is only on very specific conceptions of God that such a being might be necessary to the concept of 2+2=4.
        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

• What is God?

God is a 3 letter word.

What is 2 + 2 = 4

Sum of two numbers using base 10 math

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            What is God?

God is a 3 letter word.

What is 2 + 2 = 4
            Ii
            Sum of two numbers using base 10 math
            Hi Shunny. Seriously, can you give a necessity for God in order for the sum of two plus two to equal four?
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              God is a 3 letter word.
              A triangle has three sides/corners.

ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED

Comment

There's also the question of how to add haystacks (2 + 2 = 1?) or shoals. And if I add two ingredients and two more ingredients, might I end up with one cake? If I add two children to two adults (and all are human, remember, so we are not adding dissimilars), I definitely end up with one nuclear family. I agree with Bill, 2 + 2 = 4 is system-dependent.
                I can divide n numbers amongst m sets. Therefore the sum of the n numbers is m.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Because you have to ASSUME that 2 and 4 are in base 10. Are you denying that you have made that assumption?

I most certainly did. I rebutted the assumption that these numbers HAD to be base 10, and that regardless of the system that these characters are included in, the character "2" added to the character "2" will always equal the character "4".

No I didn't. I simply changed the ASSUMED numbering system from the common base 10 to a base 3. The character "2" is the same in both systems, is it not? But there is no such character in Base 3 displayed as "4".
                  I'm having a hard time taking you seriously here. It's hardly an assumption that the numbers were expressed in base ten given it's the default mode of numeric representation. You might as well protest the assumption that points scored in football actually involved a football.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                    Similarly, I have to assume that you are writing to me in English. What's your point?
                    Are there other languages that people communicate in that use the same words, grammar, and sentence structure as English?

The question wasn't "Will the symbolic statement 2+2=4 be valid in all number systems?" The question was "does two added to two yield four?" And, regardless of the base of the number system utilized, two added to two will always yield four.
                    Sorry BP, but in Base3, there is no such value as "4", so 2 added to 2 does not yield 4. It yields 11. It's as nonsensical as saying dog + cat = orange.

And if I change the assumed language of our discussion from English to Koine Greek, then we have both simply been scribbling nonsense this whole time. Your argument is entirely disingenuous.
                    You are correct that English grammar is nonsensical in Koine Greek. But you would not argue that the Greek speaker is being disingenuous because your use of the term "dog" instead of his "Kuon". There is no such thing in his language as a "dog", so to him, pointing at that 4 legged creature will never yield the term "dog" from him.

http://virgil.azwestern.edu/~dag/lol/TwoPlusTwo.html
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      I'm having a hard time taking you seriously here. It's hardly an assumption that the numbers were expressed in base ten given it's the default mode of numeric representation. You might as well protest the assumption that points scored in football actually involved a football.
                      Sorry, but you proved my point. When you specify "football" , or even "a touchdown", you have specified the system of counting. If I were to say John scored 3 goals in 2 consecutive games and asked you how many total points John scored, what would your answer be?

If it were a soccer match, the answer would be 6
                      If it were a hockey match, the answer would be 6
                      If it were Australian Rules Football, it would be 36
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        Hi Shunny. Seriously, can you give a necessity for God in order for the sum of two plus two to equal four?
                        No

Comment

Sorry, but you proved my point. When you specify "football" , or even "a touchdown", you have specified the system of counting. If I were to say John scored 3 goals in 2 consecutive games and asked you how many total points John scored, what would your answer be?

Is there ever a case where the representation 2 + 2 = will result in an answer other than 4? Not a different base, not 2.3 or some such - is there a case when the formula AS WRITTEN 2 + 2 = yields a result other than 4?
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            A triangle has three sides/corners.

ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED
                            Your logic is improving with illuminating wonders!!!

Comment

No, I did not. It is understood that points in football require a football. It is understood that a number unaccompanied by a base designation is in base ten. You know this. I know you do, because you repeatedly have specified base three in an attempt to argue a point.

In answer to your question, my response would be to do ask what game john was playing. No one feels the need to ask what base a number is in.
                              Last edited by Carrikature; 12-25-2014, 07:39 PM.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                                No, I did not.
                                Yes you did.

It is understood that points in football require a football.
                                And an established system of counting.

It is understood that a number unaccompanied by a base designation is in base ten.
                                Wrong. It is ASSUMED. But when I do subnetting, and I list a subnet mask as 11111111 11111111 00000000 00000000, I do not understand the unaccompanied base as 10.

You know this.
                                For the most part, yes. It is an assumption that is generally correct, but there are exceptions.

I know you do, because you repeatedly have specified base three in an attempt to argue a point.
                                And the point remains. The system that contains the numbers dictates what the value of the character means, and limits the available character set. Just as the link I offered shows.

In answer to your question, my response would be to do ask what game john was playing.
                                Thus establishing what system you were using to count. Q.E.D.

No one feels the need to ask what base a number is in.
                                But they must know what system to use, and a number base system is one such example that changes the representation of a value. I've provided several examples and support from an Intro to Psychology 101 course. So...
                                That's what
                                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment